Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

is it even legal?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tn terry t
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: is it even legal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my son and I have been out looking at tractors. what ive noticed is people are securing tractors with 3 and 4 inch nylon straps. so we bought a new Kubota m7060 and the dealer delivered it yesterday on a rollback truck. yep you guessed it they had it tied down with ratchet straps is this legal?

grayrider
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: is it even legal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Really don't know the answer to your
question about legality of ratchet
straps but I use them here in Alabama
when I'm transporting my tractors and
equipment, never been pulled over about
it and they are supposed to be rated
better than a chain. But when I haul my
backhoe I chain it down, makes me feel
better

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: is it even legal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A 4"dot nylon ratchet strap is rated the same as a 3/8" grade 70 chain.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: is it even legal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Terry, this question is on the every-other-month YT schedule and every time it comes up it goes for a week with many posts. The main thing to remember about chains vs. straps is that many many guys will post wrong information. I finally cut and pasted multiple pages from the USDOT-FSMCA website. The short answer is that straps are legal for ALL loads except for big boulders. The laws give the truck owner and operator credit for enough smarts to replace worn straps and to slip protectors over them if they are going to be subject to wear. The protector are available pretty much wherever you buy straps. The part about wrong information goes for pretty much all trucking law topics

mmfan55
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: is it even legal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ratchet straps are like chains in that they
are available in a wide variety of strength
or load ratings. Perfectly legal if proper
load rated for load hauled and properly
used.

Patch700
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: is it even legal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In my line of work we see it all the time , oddly enough so
long as it's rated enough for the cargo it is legal..

I can tell you one thing , when a guy shows up to load rig
matting on a bush move and thinks he is tying down with 4"
straps they get informed on what happens to straps when they
are shock loaded such as if you spin out on a hill or have a
sudden stop. You wind up playing 52 pickup with rig matting.

It's chains only in a case like that. Strangely enough our
company won't make a policy on the matter because the DOT
regs state that straps are fine so long as they are applied to
the ten foot rule (1 strap every 10') and the combined rating of
all the straps used equals or is greater than the payload.

tn terry t
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: is it even legal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thank you guys for your time and answers. I should have done a better job researching the question.

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: is it even legal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yea ya can use straps if rating is enough , BUT straps can ware thru from sharp edges and vibration from wind . Since i am old and follow the old rule on hauling and that is it take IRON TO HAUL IRON . . I will use straps to haul hay and straw , plastic pipe or it is specified for the load and at the points of contact edge protectors / rubber belting . At one time i hauled huge concrete pipe 10 and a half foot in dia. and 30 foot long and weighed in at over 70000 lbs and it had to be Strapped no chains . First one we did like the rest just throw the straps over it one strap ever three foot , yep 10 straps over it , a vary top heavy load , When the load was unloaded and i was rolling up my straps every one was frayed and now junk . How long those straps would have lasted had i had to go haul in more miles , I have no idea . This was going to be a on going haul and we had to come up with a way not to destroy 4 inch straps on every load . We got some heavy rubber belting and made up strips 8 inches wide to go over the pipe then put the straps over that . But i never felt comfortable with the straps as i have had straps fail and if you look along the roads you will see broken straps laying . Yes i have had G 70 chains break due to trailer flex panic stops .

stonerock
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: is it even legal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

tractor vet I'am with you, IRON TO HAUL IRON......CHAIN A ROLLING LOAD, I am not going to haul my dozers or track-hoe or back hoe;s with out chaining them on my trailer, dont have any 4'' strapes

tn terry t
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: is it even legal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-stonerock wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:59:17 08/03/17) tractor vet I'am with you, IRON TO HAUL IRON......CHAIN A ROLLING LOAD, I am not going to haul my dozers or track-hoe or back hoe;s with out chaining them on my trailer, dont have any 4'' straps
oh im with yall on this im not hauling my tractors with straps either. I was just wondering if it was legal to use the straps thanks again

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: is it even legal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I like the light weight of straps as well as their convenience, but I also cannot afford to keep replacing them all the time. So for me, I usually depend on chains for holding the bulk of the load, and then augment with straps.

I'll use ONLY straps when going over more fragile surfaces or where the holding force needs to be spread out (surface area of straps vs. chains).

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: is it even legal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The dealer probably does not want to deal with customer complaints about brand new tractors and equipment delivered with scratched paint. They may have it in their budget to replace the straps regularly or as soon as they start to show wear.

MikeinKy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: is it even legal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been trucking most of my life and Showcrop has the right answer. I have seen a lot of wrong info on here, but he has it right.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: is it even legal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know about everywhere but I can't picture it being illegal. A 3" strap is rated at more than 5000 lbs. That is roughly the weight of the Kubota so two straps should be more than enough.

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: is it even legal? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I always strap/chain things down as though I expect to be in an accident. Reason being, if my load comes loose under the additional G-forces of an accident, I don't want my load killing someone else. If in an accident, there will be a brief moment where that 5,000 lb. tractor could weigh much, much more.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters