Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Best gooseneck trailer tires

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
G1355
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Best gooseneck trailer tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have pj with 12k axles, have Goodyear tires on it now, but haven't seemed to get much life outta them they've wore even, one has cupping broken belt inside I'd say but I'd say they only have 7500 miles or so on them I mostly just haul my g1355 always pulls nice it's little over 17000lbs just didn't know what others get outta there tires, also what do you run on you trucks had bf Goodrich all terrain kos, seemed to be descent got stt Cooper pros and love them now but don't like that aggressive on hard surfaces all the time

Texas Cowboy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Best gooseneck trailer tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

14 ply Hankook Tony

MikeinKy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Best gooseneck trailer tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have not had any luck with any trailer tires. I use LT truck tires, even used ones outlast ST trailer tires. They blow out too soon.

ramblineagle
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Best gooseneck trailer tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use 10 ply used pickup truck tires on my 14,000 lb trailer. never had a real problems with them.

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Best gooseneck trailer tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ST trailer tire have a thick side wall to allow for greater load ratings.
Problem is most have a J speed rating. (62 mph)
Exceed this speed or hover around it and you will over heat the tire.
This causes per mature wear and sometimes failure.
This may or may not be your problem as you did not give us enough info to make that call.

Some switch over to LT truck tires because of the higher speed rating.
Problem is LT tires have a thinner sidewall so they have reduced load ratings.
Put LT tires on a trailer and then load it to capacity and you are right back in the same over heating boat.

They do make ST trailer tires with a speed rating of L 75 mph and M 81 mph but you have to specifically look for them.
So before we could even give a educated guess as to what the problem might be we would need more info.
If you have good tires and still have problems you may have a alignment issue that is causing your pre mature tire wear.

hd6gtom
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Best gooseneck trailer tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

G1355. X tire dealer here. Need a little more info. What size are the tires? Are you running radials? How much gravel are you running? Post back

G1355
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Best gooseneck trailer tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

St235 80r 16s goodyears run some gravel probably 20 percent of the time other 80 is running 60mph highway basically just haul to tractor pulls aND tractor rides, when I haul skidloader it's mainky gravel but for most part tractors on trailer

IAtractorKid
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Best gooseneck trailer tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I believe more and more of the ST tires are being made with the higher speed ratings now. Bought 4 new Carlisle ST175/80R13 for my boat trailer last month, and they are rated for 81mph.

s,mac
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Best gooseneck trailer tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use 265/16 load range E on my pickup when they get worn down they become trailer tires. Have good service with this setup. Steve

jtwat
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Best gooseneck trailer tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have used Hercules Tires on trailer. Very good tires. Make sure you get your tires balanced.

Doug Wilkins
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Best gooseneck trailer tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do the same thing as s, mac. My gooseneck currently has lt265-75-16 firestone transforce ats. never had good luck with dedicated trailer tires.

hd6gtom
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Best gooseneck trailer tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like you do a lot of traveling with your trailer. I know this is pricy, but do you have the room to convert the trailer to 17" tires and rims? We converted dozens is trailers to this setup in the last 5 years I was in the tire business. Boys went from having 1 or 2 flats a week to perhaps 1 a year. The 17 inch are 14 or 16 ply tubless and very heavy. We spun balanced every one of them. Things must have changed in the past 10 years. In the 22 years I was in the tire business, I never saw a speed rating on a trailer tire. I do not remember anyone having a tire separation with the 17" rubber.

G1355
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Best gooseneck trailer tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm sure I could if tires weren't any taller, because there close to deck as of now not sure what they call it but my trailer sits lower than a normal one was little bit more money

VicS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Best gooseneck trailer tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our local tire shop talked us into 14 ply alliance tires. I know made in China. But have 3 trailers with them. Not even a flat yet. Just have 3 yrs. On the first set. Time will tell. Just hauled 16000 net on 4 of them. Just about 6 miles and I stayed under 40 mph. But have hauled 10000 net for 200 mi. At 70 mph. On same 15000 lb. Trailer.

G1355
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Best gooseneck trailer tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you know what the load rating is per tire, I'm do for a set just holding off for moment as long as they'll support 8500lb trailer with 17000lb tractor I'd be willing to give them a shot

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters