Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Farmall 230 securing locations

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bodaver32
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Farmall 230 securing locations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I have spent a lot of time restoring this tractor. These are the before photos Very Happy . I hope to have it completed this Fall.

I would like to trailer the tractor and on four corners with chains and binders. Can you offer me suggestions on where/how to attach chains to the tractor?

The rear of the tractor has the two point fast hitch and doesn't offer good straight paths for the chains.

Many thanks.

mmfan55
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall 230 securing locations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Since no one else replied, here goes.
Find point on both sides, forward and back,
where you can bolt a chain hook to tractor
body. Tie off to those hooks. That way you
avoid dragging chain across your nice
paint. Those hooks can be found in a
variety of configurations.

400Dtractorman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall 230 securing locations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If your tractor is painted you have 3 bolt
holes on each side of the bolster. Take
one of the bolts and get a chain that the
bolt will go thru so you can attach it to
both sides. You only need 8 inches of
chain on each side. Now you can chain it
with two binders. On the rear bolt a hook
on each side of the drawbar under it. Now
you can chain the rear and doesnt mess up
the pant

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall 230 securing locations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You could bolt chain or hooks on front and use clevis or hooks on draw bar. I use hooks on front of my Allis Chalmers WD45 and chains on my
IH 450. On rear of 450 use 2 clevis on D drawbar. I did find a picture of a C with chains on front end.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall 230 securing locations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not a good idea to chain through the drawbar on a fast hitch tractor. You're putting all that stress on the hydraulic cylinder which can leak down and allow the chain to slacken.

I'm also not sure that some of those methods depicted are legal. Maybe they are or maybe they aren't but I was of the understanding that DOT required four SEPARATE tie downs, not a single chain slung through a clevis in the drawbar, or through the loops in the wheels.

I see farmers do the one-chain-through-the-clevis bit all the time, and maybe it's okay for ag and non-commercial. It doesn't give me the warm fuzzies about the tractor staying on the trailer, especially when it's a heavily-weighted Allis 220.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall 230 securing locations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BarnyardEngineering wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:56:35 08/24/17) Not a good idea to chain through the drawbar on a fast hitch tractor. You're putting all that stress on the hydraulic cylinder which can leak down and allow the chain to slacken.

I'm also not sure that some of those methods depicted are legal. Maybe they are or maybe they aren't but I was of the understanding that DOT required four SEPARATE tie downs, not a single chain slung through a clevis in the drawbar, or through the loops in the wheels.

I see farmers do the one-chain-through-the-clevis bit all the time, and maybe it's okay for ag and non-commercial. It doesn't give me the warm fuzzies about the tractor staying on the trailer, especially when it's a heavily-weighted Allis 220.

I've hauled many tractors (not just my own) with 2 chains at the front, and 1 chain through a clevis on the drawbar at the rear. Probably the largest of the tractors was a 756 IH. I'm not saying it is 100% correct, but I've never been stopped. I have been thoroughly scrutenized by the D.O.T., but never was stopped.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall 230 securing locations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On my WD45 I use 2 chains on drawbar.I feel safer with 2 chains on back just in case one would break. On the IH 450 the 2 clevis that are pined to each corner of draw bar are rated at 16,000 lbs. each.

Bodaver32
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall 230 securing locations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the comments. I wanted to use four separate chains. I am thinking on the rear, a chain going through the loops on the rear wheels and the short piece of chain bolted to each side of the front bolster. I will get an old piece of fire hose or something for the rear chains.

I considered going around the rear axles but the angles are wrong and stuff gets in the way.

The tractor isn't going to be a trailer queen, as I am going to be using it, but I also like the looks of it shiny. Very Happy

This is where I am at today. Hood and grill to go...

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall 230 securing locations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On the rear wheels you could use a pair of DOT approved nylon 3" ratchet straps.

Pete in Holland MI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall 230 securing locations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On my son's C, we bolted a pair of cinch hooks to the forward hole in the side triangular hole pattern under the radiator. Use a
grade 8 bolt & washers. Tighten the hook in the angle of the pull. The rear, a clevis thru his draw bar. Work well for
years.

Bodaver32
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall 230 securing locations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Pete in Holland MI wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:53:02 08/24/17) On my son's C, we bolted a pair of cinch hooks to the forward hole in the side triangular hole pattern under the radiator. Use a
grade 8 bolt & washers. Tighten the hook in the angle of the pull. The rear, a clevis thru his draw bar. Work well for
years.

Can you help me out with what a cinch hook is or looks like?

Wayne in NE
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall 230 securing locations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have 2 tractors that I haul to tractor rides. One is a Farmall 300 and the other is an IH 454. The pictures show the hold downs I've made and
they seem to work well. I use four chains with "C" hooks on one end that attach to the tractor and regular hooks that attach to the trailer.
Wayne

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall 230 securing locations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The number two picture with the quick link is only 2,200 lbs.WLL if it is a 3/8" link. If you need a link Dot says to use one of these. A grade 70 3/8" is rated at 6,600lbs and next size under it in grade 70 is rated 5,400 lbs..

Wayne in NE
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall 230 securing locations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The four links I use are 1/2 inch each. If I understand chain down procedures, the combined number of chains must have a capacity greater than the weight of what is being secured. Wayne

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall 230 securing locations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I didn't know you could use them for on a binder chain and Of the several cargo supplier I have none of them are DOT approved.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters