Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Securing a Farmall cub

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsfarmall
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Securing a Farmall cub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 16ft dual axle trailer I haul my cubs on. What is the best/preferred way to strap/chain a cub down.

muleboss
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Securing a Farmall cub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tight

grandpa Love
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Securing a Farmall cub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Opening a can of worms. We use 2 nylon straps. One over transmission. One around drawbar. No issues yet . Some will say chains, binders ect.

ericlb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Securing a Farmall cub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i tie mine down by taking a 3 or 4 inch nylon strap from the front of the trailer then over the front axle and under the engine, then over the axle on the other side and back to the front of the trailer ,tighten, then on the back, i run from the back of the trailer up around the draw bar then back the the other side of the trailer tighten the cub between the 2 and it will stay

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Securing a Farmall cub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Look at the next post down "securing Formal 230".

jsfarmall
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Securing a Farmall cub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok so not much different than I have done. I take a strap around the front axle to the trailer. 1 on each side then a chain and binder on the drawbar. Just wanted to see if anyone had a better idea

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Securing a Farmall cub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would like to ask you a question. You have strap over trans. which holds tractor down and one on draw bar to keep tractor from going forward. What keeps it from rolling backwards?

ztrmowers
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Securing a Farmall cub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i ways always told if on public road needs 4 seperate points of tiedown regardless size of unit.i got stopped once hauling lawn tractors same theory needs 4 points.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Securing a Farmall cub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-ztrmowers wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:24:42 09/02/17) i ways always told if on public road needs 4 seperate points of tiedown regardless size of unit.i got stopped once hauling lawn tractors same theory needs 4 points.

Not true, at least according to FSMCA. It applies only to over 10.000 lbs which is also where 3/8 chain or heavy straps kicks in.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Securing a Farmall cub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From what I have read all vehicles are to be tied down so they can't move forward or backward or from side to side.

john *.?-!.* cub owner
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Securing a Farmall cub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A fellow on Farmallcub dot com sells an attachment that olts to the front axle pivot and has both a hitch receiver for backing trailers, and a tie down loop under it. Real handy item.

jsfarmall
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Securing a Farmall cub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm a welder myself and thought about
building one but was curious how strong
the front end pivot point was for
strapping down.

john *.?-!.* cub owner
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Securing a Farmall cub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cubs are not noted for strong front ends, but they are plenty strong for tying down.

caterpillar guy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Securing a Farmall cub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oh I would just throw the straps over the hood and pull'em down then one over the seat good to go. Now for the serious side if you put a chain over the front axle and to the opposite side of the trailer then one to the drawbar back to the trailer it will be fine and hold securely to the trailer.

mattofvinings
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Securing a Farmall cub Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I trailered my Cub, I put 2 chains around the horizontal front axle tube, and 2 around the drawbar. The two on the front were mostly straight-ahead and the ones on the drawbar went more out to the sides. Never had any issues this way. Used a smaller dia chain, may have even been 1/4" dia links and some matching cam-over load binders that I got at a Farm Fleet store somewhere. Just had to manage the pressure on the load binders to be reasonable.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters