Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Using a uhaul for hauling AND hay rides

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoadrunnerTrading
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Using a uhaul for hauling AND hay rides Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I'd like to rent an open trailer to haul my jubilee about 60 mi. I would like to then use that same trailer behind the tractor to pull the kids around for some short hay rides. Is this a possibility? Is there any place to find a smaller diameter shank for a 2 inch ball hitch that I can use on the tractor? I was thinking the 6x12 open box trailer from uhaul. It's for some high rails
On it that would be perfect for hayrides, I'm just not sure how to tow it behind the jubilee. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

ericlb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Using a uhaul for hauling AND hay rides Reply to specific post Reply with quote

first do you have the under the tractor draw bar? my jube does, and for hay rides i use a 8 by 18 trailer loaded with people the jubilee has no problem pulling it, but its also fairly level around the farm, dont use the 3 point type draw bar, it places the trailer too far back of the rear axle and makes the tractor too light on the front axle, for a cheat, if you buy one of the 11 hole draw bars that fits the 3 point linkage and cut one of the pins off it will fit under the tractor provided the brackets are already there, you can then use a standard 2 inch ball , for hauling the jubilee you do need a tandem axle trailer, using a single axle trailer is dangerous as all get, out as you cant get the load weight correct to prevent the trailer from whipping you all over the road

RoadrunnerTrading
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Using a uhaul for hauling AND hay rides Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-ericlb wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:36:11 08/31/17) first do you have the under the tractor draw bar? my jube does, and for hay rides i use a 8 by 18 trailer loaded with people the jubilee has no problem pulling it, but its also fairly level around the farm, dont use the 3 point type draw bar, it places the trailer too far back of the rear axle and makes the tractor too light on the front axle, for a cheat, if you buy one of the 11 hole draw bars that fits the 3 point linkage and cut one of the pins off it will fit under the tractor provided the brackets are already there, you can then use a standard 2 inch ball , for hauling the jubilee you do need a tandem axle trailer, using a single axle trailer is dangerous as all get, out as you cant get the load weight correct to prevent the trailer from whipping you all over the road

Thanks! I do have the under tractor draw bar. A couple of questions...
Is there enough clearance between the draw bar/ball and the pto in order to properly hitch the trailer? And, what diameter shank is your ball? I don't believe the standard 2in ball I have will fit in the hole of my draw bar. Thanks for the help!

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Using a uhaul for hauling AND hay rides Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can get balls with 3/4 shank which
should fit most drawbars.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Using a uhaul for hauling AND hay rides Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Trailer sway is a matter of balance and has nothing to do with how many axles a trailer has. Most folks confuse a better pulling tandem trailer as being because of the extra axle when it is usually because of extra trailer length or the axle center being further back. As long as he gets propper tongue weight it will pull good regardless of how many axles. More important would be weight capacity, a single axle u-haul is likely rated at less than 3k capacity so not enough for an 8n.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Using a uhaul for hauling AND hay rides Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With a U Haul tandem axle trailer like he is talking about you can only haul 2,110 lbs. Max and a Ford Jubilee shipping weight starts at a little over 2,500 lbs. I have rented several UHaul trailers and are some of the worst trailer I have ever pulled and brakes on their trailers suck.

Tubacase47
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Using a uhaul for hauling AND hay rides Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is my uderstanding that if U-Haul even suspects you are going to haul a tractor on one of their trailers, you won't get it.

ericlb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Using a uhaul for hauling AND hay rides Reply to specific post Reply with quote

tounge weight is the problem with a tractor on a single axle, tractors have the 4 tires holding their weight, but they are not evenly balanced on the tires, most single axle trailers tend to be short and its not easy to get proper weight distribution

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Using a uhaul for hauling AND hay rides Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is exactly what I said, it's about balance a d not the number of axles that matter. If you had a long enough single axle so you could load properly it would trail as good or better than a tandem.

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Using a uhaul for hauling AND hay rides Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You should be able to read an online copy of the U-Haul rental agreement before you rent. www.uhaul.com/Trailers/6x12-Utility-Trailer-With-Ramp-Rental/HO/ Will your tractor fit inside the 4 foot 9 inch rear opening? Without any weights your tractor will still overload that trailer and it may bend the ramp. I would look for a 7000 pound trailer.

What is the road speed of your tractor? 60 miles one way is not that far to drive a tractor in nice weather.

retired farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Using a uhaul for hauling AND hay rides Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think U Haul would frown on you hauling people in one of their trailers even if it was just a hayride.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Using a uhaul for hauling AND hay rides Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Retired Farmer wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:09:18 09/05/17) I think U Haul would frown on you hauling people in one of their trailers even if it was just a hayride.

I doubt that U-Haul would be worried. I expect that their contract states that any problems resulting from illegal use are not theirs. Carrying passengers on a trailer is illegal pretty much everywhere. I checked with my insurance company before offering my tractor and wagon for a hayride.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Using a uhaul for hauling AND hay rides Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you try to rent a U Haul they want the exact make and model you are going to haul and if it does not meet their book specks you cannot rent. Several years ago tried to rent one to haul a broken down Buick and would not rent it because they sai a full size half ton chevy truck was not big enough to pull it. Friend ended up hauling it behind his F250 on a different friends trailer.

bobs old iron
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Using a uhaul for hauling AND hay rides Reply to specific post Reply with quote

with all responded post, my friend wanted to haul a ford explorer sport trac,, too heavy they said for their trailers, big deal by 500lbs. should have told them he are hauling a v-w,,, also on the idea of hauling people on it with hay,, caution: make sure you are covered , by club insurance etc, nice idea but somthing happens, who responceable

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Using a uhaul for hauling AND hay rides Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You sure a 2" ball trailer is enough to pull that weight.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters