Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Brake & Wheel Specs - 1961 Dexta

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bhayden
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Brake & Wheel Specs - 1961 Dexta Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One of the first things I noticed after picking up my "new to me" 1961 Dexta was that it didn't stop worth a dang. When the brake pedals were not connected the right side pedal sat a good inch or so lower than the left meaning it; a) had less travel and b) possibly wasn't even fully engaging. This weekend I pulled off the wheels and brake drums. I think the shoes are as thin as I've ever seen without grinding thru to the metal:

0812171710 by Alden_Sloe, on Flickr

The good news is everything else seems to be OK. Because of the extent of corrosion I did order new springs and hardware along with the shoes. The manual specs the brake drums as 14"; and I measure 14.015" ID for the right side and 14.010" for the left. There's no grooves or ridges so I'm tempted to not even have them machined.

Question #1
What is the max size that the drums can be turned to. It's often cast into automotive drums (back when cars had drum brakes). Or, with a tractor do you just turn them until they fail? Mr. Green

Question #2
What is the torque spec for the lug nuts? This may be a newbie stupid question but all the shop manual says is "tighten the nuts securely". Ya think! Idea

I did find this reference at OldFordTractors.com which says 80 ft-lbs . I'm guessing an 8N would be about the same as a Dexta.

-Bernie

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Fordson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters