Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

What style Load Binder(s) do you have?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kcm.MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: What style Load Binder(s) do you have? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Since joining YT, I've learned that these types of load binders are not even legal anymore in certain states. Then in another post, someone was mentioning how they secure their binders, in a way I had not seen before. So I did a web search and found several styles but noticed that some binders I picked up at auction some years back didn't show up in the results.

So with all the variations of load binders out there, thought maybe it would be interesting to see what different styles the YT members have and use.

Yes, I have more than 3 binders, but these are the different "styles". The first two are basically the same - only real difference seems to be one manufacturer put a hole in the end. The binder on the right came from auction, and I never grab them unless I have to as I don't have experience with them. Which brings up the question, what are the good points or bad points of each design? What do you do to ensure that the binder always stays secure?

There's quite a few folks who join YT that don't have any experience using load binders or hauling tractors/larger equipment, so hopefully this thread will help others (myself included) secure their loads better.

This last photo is how I secure my handles to ensure the binder cannot possibly pop open. When I didn't have any chain to wrap around, I have even used several wraps of duct tape to secure the handle. What do you use?

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: What style Load Binder(s) do you have? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't like any of those over center type so I use screw type binders !

Lyndon - AB
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: What style Load Binder(s) do you have? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here in Alberta, the lever style binders are still legal as long as you have a binder lock of some sort securing the handle to the chain so it can't come open on its own.. I use the little cable ones from Dynaline, here's a picture.

As to the binders themselves, I use the style in the middle of your pictures. Can't speak to the one on the right, never seen one like that before.

For hauling heavy equipment, I prefer using ratchet binders, as it's easier to keep them perfectly tight. But if I'm hauling a couple of my own tractors, it takes waaay too long to mess around with ratchet binders. Hence, why I still run lever binders on my own trailer.

kcm.MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: What style Load Binder(s) do you have? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's a ratcheting binder with a twist. Sure hope those red parts aren't made of plastic! Shocked

I've heard several say that it's easy to over-tighten using the ratchet-type binders. With the old style (over-center), it's easy to feel how much tension is being put on the chain, load, and trailer so as not to mess anything up.

Lyndon - AB
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: What style Load Binder(s) do you have? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If that ratchet binder is built strong enough, that's a heck of a way of doing things! And yes, I agree with you about being able to feel how much tension you're putting on everything with a lever style binder.

brutus49DC
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What style Load Binder(s) do you have? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use only US made binders of the style in your pictures. If I have enough chain I wrap them and I always wire them with #9 wire. I have hauled many miles and never had one un snap.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What style Load Binder(s) do you have? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use over center binders on front of tractors and ratchet on rear and put tractor in neutral and use ratchets to pull tractor down tight.

redih55
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What style Load Binder(s) do you have? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use the ratchet type of binders. Like the way they can get the load chain really tight.

John Deere D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What style Load Binder(s) do you have? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lyndon - AB. Thanks for posting:

Bob....North Western Alberta.......

stonerock
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What style Load Binder(s) do you have? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

over the center and a 4' pipe

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: What style Load Binder(s) do you have? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have both the over-center style and the ratchet style. Over-center binders are the best for tractors or anything else with rubber tires. Ratchet style is the best for something that has no give, such as a 3 point, fully mounted plow. Ratchet STRAPS are used when hauling lumber, fence panels, crated machinery, etc.

Ronnie Budd
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: What style Load Binder(s) do you have? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use over center binders on the front and ratcheting binders on the rear when hauling my tractors. The front ones are used to take up excess chain length, and the rear ratcheting ones cinch everything tight.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: What style Load Binder(s) do you have? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have found out that you don't need a bar for the over center binders on front when you use ratchet binders on rear.

chuck machinist
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: What style Load Binder(s) do you have? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dito Brutus

ericlb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: What style Load Binder(s) do you have? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i have both ratchet and over center types, i normally use the ratchet style for over hiway transport, and over center for low speed in town or on a ranch hauling, but there is nothing wrong with using the over center type for hiway hauling, as long as the chains are tight and the binder handle is positively secured, my chains are long enough that i completely wrap the handle with them, ive never had one come open, and i use a 4 foot pipe to tighten the chains

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters