Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

What style Load Binder(s) do you have?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: What style Load Binder(s) do you have? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

U*Se to use ratchet binders, but since I stop showing, and the most I haul is a lawnmower now, I just use straps. I do haul my 154
LoBoy occasionally, and just use the 10000lb rated straps.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: What style Load Binder(s) do you have? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-D beatty wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:05:23 09/20/17) I have found out that you don't need a bar for the over center binders on front when you use ratchet binders on rear.

Of course not!!! When the load is fee to move from front to rear the front binders are simply chain links.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: What style Load Binder(s) do you have? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-stonerock wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:05:34 09/19/17) over the center and a 4' pipe

I'm with my buddy Stonerock. Have you ever encountered "pal nuts" when removing rods from an old engine? They are obsolete because they were needlessly redundant. Nuts and bolts torqued to the correct value using the correct procedure don't need additional dot-dads to hold them. Get your boomers tight like they are supposed to be and no amount of bouncing is going to pop them. You get a little wear or road grime on those ratchet binders and they can get so tight that you need a four foot pipe on the handle while the chain is still loose.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: What style Load Binder(s) do you have? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have to use a 4 foot bar on a ratchet binder it's your fault and it's poor maintenance on your part. If you keep them clean and out
of the weather when not in use you won't have any problems and get many many years of use out of them.

stonerock
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: What style Load Binder(s) do you have? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

well D beatty not all of us can keep our binders dry, [4 semi's] chains and binders hang off the back rack exposed to the weather all the time. w-d 40 and a 4' cheater pipe is your best friend out on the road...... PS, keep your chains tight

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: What style Load Binder(s) do you have? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I drove semi for 38 years mostly pulled van bodies. My cousin pulled nothing but loads of steel and carried his chains and binders in an enclosed rack behind cab.

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: What style Load Binder(s) do you have? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I "always" get my binders tighter than what I can using just my hands. However, the MAIN reason I use a cheater pipe with binders is to protect my knuckles!! Shocked

When I hauled that little skid loader home, I didn't make the chains as tight as I normally would. However, just from that 4-hour drive home, the tension was still enough to where I need to weld a repair on a rear corner of my 20plus-year-old trailer. Never had any problems with over-centers rusting up and locking. That's just negligence.

IHC pickups
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: What style Load Binder(s) do you have? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The binder on the right in the picture is an EZE-PRO the Company I work for run 70 OTR trucks pulling flatbeds. That style is a cam-over design which when releasing the tension takes a lot of the recoil out of it. Our driver will not use the old style binders like the 2 on the left any more. The EZPRO are quite a bit more expensive but if they save a work-comp claim well worth the money.

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What style Load Binder(s) do you have? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

THAT'S IT!! Very Happy

Thank you for the ID on that binder. Wow, guess I did better than I thought getting them. Maybe now I won't be nervous about grabbing 'em. And yes, they "do" cost a bit more. ...Almost wanna go out and try it running a chain between a couple of trees. *lol*

Lyndon - AB
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What style Load Binder(s) do you have? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Showcrop, I agree for the most part, good and tight is the key. I use the binder lock cables mostly for looks in case I get stopped. However, I wish I did have them when hauling logs, as I have had a binder come loose and somehow get royally bent out of shape. I was running a tandem with a pole trailer, and had a load with a broken bottom log, so I threw two additional cable/chain wrappers in the middle, on either side of the break. Tightened down with binders, but no locks. Had to tighten them a couple times, being as the logs shift and settle during the run, but the binders stayed closed. Last load check before the mill, I couldn't believe my eyes. One of the binders was open, and bent sideways into almost a horseshoe. Luckily the broken log stayed put. That image kind of stays with me every time I secure a load.

caterpillar guy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What style Load Binder(s) do you have? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So what state has outlawed snap binders. I have run all over the continental US (lower 4Cool and have never had anybody at a scalehouse or during an inspection tell me they were not legal to use. I use them in conjunction with ratchets. First pull the snaps then finish with the ratchets. Nothing comes loose and no pipe needed to make it tight.
As for the screws rusting I use old transmission oil to oil mine with. I have worn out about a set of the ratchet binders in 14 years of use. Only broke a couple of snap binders. So which one is better it is a toss up both work fine.

bg/mo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What style Load Binder(s) do you have? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

instead of binders in the front,,,being you say you use the ratchets to pull it tight,,,why not leave the binders off the front and just use the chain??

DWF
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What style Load Binder(s) do you have? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

At least in Minnesota, you need to have binders for all chains. I would think what you're saying would work, but the law says otherwise.
DWF

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What style Load Binder(s) do you have? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DWF wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:12:20 10/25/17) At least in Minnesota, you need to have binders for all chains. I would think what you're saying would work, but the law says otherwise.
DWF

DWF, you really ought to check your information before you post. Do you know how to cut and paste? please look it up and paste it here.

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What style Load Binder(s) do you have? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, I didn't look it up, but I also use a binder on every single chain. If a chain is wrapped around an object such that it might not have equal tension along its length, then I'll use multiple binders on the same chain.

Had never actually thought about this before - was just something that seemed common-sense.

One thing I like about a binder on every chain is, in the event your load gets any slack at all, if that slack is on that front chain, then you can tighten up the binder. Without a binder there, the hauler might be tempted to just "get by" with things the way they are rather than having to dig another binder out of the back of the truck. It's fairly normal for me to end up using at least one more load binder than the number of chains I'm using.

I check my load EVERY SINGLE TIME I have to pull over - for gas, to stretch my legs, whatever. Wife has gotten to where she does it also. *lol* Will have to pull in somewhere and let her "run inside" Wink , and I'll check the load, tires, hitch, and the lights. Then she'll come out and we'll go through it all one more time! *lol* I don't even tease her about it. I'd rather be safe than sorry, and it only takes a minute.....X2! Laughing

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters