Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

M5 Diesel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
molinegb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: M5 Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is the thing I dragged here last month. It had no motor Just empty crankcase and pile of parts in pails and newspaper. Not sure why previous owner went to all the work of
cleaning all components. All ended up as junk. Pistons were 20 over and blocks had 60 over wear. Had a couple parts units and most NOS parts.Had to get 1 ring set and couple of mains.
Original crank and cam were in special made wooden crates but were also badly worn. (junk) The puzzle is coming together. Tomorrow chassis gets a cleaning before further assembly.
M5 with adjustable axles and 3 point uncommon here. Only one I have ever seen. Have 3 or 4 others but all standards.
Keeping the old Bosch pump for now as it matches the serial numbers for first generation. If it doesn't pan out the Roosa setup will go on if I find a pump

Kevin Moschenrose
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: M5 Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Around here it seems like all are adjustable wide fronts and rare to find in a standard. Be it a M5, 5 Star, m602 or even a M670. So it maybe a regional thing as well.

old smokey
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: M5 Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

molinegb.....nice find found one myself 2 years ago. I think there a nice tractor to run....had one on the farm when I was growing up with a roosa pump...the one I picked up 2 years ago has the bosh, had it and the injectors r&r and runs nice

molinegb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: M5 Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I also spent many,many hours on M5 back in 60's. Not much of a field tractor. 14 ft of Noble cultivator was just too much for it. Was really good on mower or square baler. Not the tractor of a 4020 but lot better on fuel. Our first broke rod and went right through crankcase when I was mowing. Had been rebuilt several times.

old smokey
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: M5 Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

we overhauled ours once and i don't remember why but the only thing I remember is we cracked a head on it about 3 different times and until reading this forum never knew you needed to let them sit and cool down before shutting them off after a hard pull

molinegb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: M5 Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Always cracked between injector and surface. 4222 heads. Had several stitched with no luck.
Ran too hot! Rad always an issue. Used the old 5 star rad from 50's.

molinegb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: M5 Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got the old girl running. Had a couple issues that I will share. Being a truckload of parts can be an issue. Everything was apart from injection pump to filter assembly. Alot of parts were missing or bad. Blocks,crank were worn out. I had 2 donors to help, a scrapped 670 and M5 both with Roosa system. Transfer pump wouldn't build the required 15 psi to feed pump. Previous owner had taken out the bypass in filter assembly! Now have supply to pump. Now had everything ready to start. But no exhaust. Found pump wasn't turning. So back to book and tear it all down on front. Early M5 has extra gear on camshaft to run injection pump and waterpump! Later M5 and with Roosa didn't. Most people would switch from old Bosch to Roosa. I did opposite. Same issue would happen on GV1. Feel stupid about it but I used the best parts I had in stock. Live and learn.

carvel minne farmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: M5 Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

don't feel dumb G.B. my dad used to have a saying that covered these oh sh** moments, "the man whose never made a mistake hasn't done much!" I once assembled a Lincoln sa-200 welder complete and forgot the end plate that holds the generator cover!! had to tear it all down again! great to hear you've got her going.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Minneapolis Moline All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters