Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

antique tractor pulling?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: antique tractor pulling? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Charts say 13" rims for 14.9x 38s.

mmfan55
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: antique tractor pulling? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Exactly my point. What is "stock".

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: antique tractor pulling? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The club I pull with limits you to 15.5s max and no cut tires. We pull 3 mph, 18"high drawbar, 3" twist clevis,no weights behind rear tires and the only weights used on front of tractor have to be factory weights that was used at the period time the tractor was built.

centash
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: antique tractor pulling? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Stock is just that....the way the tractor came from the factory, no mods whatsoever, no cut or larger tires, no weight placement other than factory . With these rules, it comes down to operator skill ...... we have seen almost every make or model of tractor win in its specific class.....it comes down to optimum weight, well tuned engine, proper drawbar position and how the operator uses all of these to his advantage while reading the track just right. Ben

Dblair
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: antique tractor pulling? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know any of these old tractor that haven't been rebuilt , rebored and returned to near stock but don't have the original horse power . do you have a dyno at these pulls for challenges to the winner on horsepower ?

centash
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: antique tractor pulling? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes we do. If a tractor pulls substantially further than all others in the same class, it is dyno'ed.....it usually becomes obvious that some modifications have taken place. Ben

Welding man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: antique tractor pulling? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No, our club bought the old Ottpa sled and roller about 5 years ago. We are located in southern WV. We also pull at Mt. Empire and New River Valley clubs in Virginia. We all have the same rules and work together to avoid conflicting dates.

Dblair
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: antique tractor pulling? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it really sounds like a great club .

PretendFarmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: antique tractor pulling? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-mmfan55 wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:58:45 10/25/17) Exactly my point. What is "stock".

Generally speaking, I would venture a guess that 90% or more tractors from the 1950's have had engines overhauled at least once since then. As far as Farmalls are concerned, some of those tractors have likely had a overbore kit put in for a modest HP increase. Sometimes that includes higher compression pistons.
I've never pulled anywhere where that wouldn't pass for stock.
To me, there should be a line drawn somewhere. If you really want to hold people to "from factory stock", then you might have 1 tractor in that class. The tractor with a simple overbore in it wont even come close to a tractor that is truly enhanced/modified or whatever you want to call it. Those tractors are probably stroked, had machine work to fit much larger pistons in, all to get 100+ more cubes than just a stupid overbore kit. They also likely had a lot of head work done, sky high compression and need 100 octane gas.

I have never had the head off my SM, but I would bet $100 that it has an overbore kit in it. If I got kicked off the track for that, I wouldn't bother showing up because if I had to pull against actual enhanced tractors I would be 100+ feet behind them easily.
Of all the Farmalls I have had the head off of, I have only seen two with stock 3" pistons in it. I have never seen an H or M with stock from factory pistons.

bp4455
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: antique tractor pulling? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd suggest looking around for Division 1: two and a half or three miles per hour, small tires, wheel weights only, and 16 inch hitch.

mmfan55
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: antique tractor pulling? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One last comment and I am done. One size does not fit all. Pulling a stock bore Farmall M against a super M and it is already a mis match. Not to mention pulling either against a 560. I expect you have some way of classing so a JD 70 with narrow 38 inch tires don't pull against a Minneapolis Moline GB with 18.4x34. I prefer to decide what class I pull. No overbore, power blocks, aftermarket carburetor, etc..seems like over limitation to me. We do whatever we want to engines and let the speed limits keep it equal. Thanks for your time

centash
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: antique tractor pulling? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, most antique pulls have morphed into those. The original intention of our pull was to provide another venue at the local fall fair, and for guys to get that dusty old tractor they never use out of the shed at least one day a year. Our pull has been replaced by a super stock pull with every type of tractor or truck modification available. It usually ends up with those having spent the most winning, but does draw several thousand spectators. The antique pullers we had have gone on to pull in competitions similar to the ones you describe. More action and fun I agree, but kinda miss the old days. Siggghh. Ben

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: antique tractor pulling? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Class 1 rules will be different depending where you live and pull. In our club its 1959 and older, 3 MPH first gear ( IH can use TA once) ,15.5 max on tires,10% over on RPM, 18" high drawbar, no weights behind rear wheels and only what was available from factory on front but can have belly and frame weights. I pull farmstock in Indiana but if go into Michigan I have to take barbell weights off and drop drawbar to 16".

PretendFarmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: antique tractor pulling? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think clubs pay too much attention to engines. It doesn't really matter how much HP it has in a speed restricted pull of 3mph if it was actually measured.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: antique tractor pulling? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Big horse power tractors with small tires in 3 MPH classes have trouble keeping tractor hook to track.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters