Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

New Tractor Hauling Truck - '00 K2500 Crew

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Christopherson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: New Tractor Hauling Truck - '00 K2500 Crew Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree on many levels.. I have been burned by a salvage title before (my first vehicle as a teenager).. I know that he did just dump a little over $3000 into it with many of the above listed repairs... Here are a few more photos that I have. The only reason I am considering it is because it is virtually rust-free, a crew cab, and is a 3/4 ton for a 'decent' price.

There are, however, many around in a similar price range that he is asking ($4900), that do NOT have a salvage title, newer with the 6.0 liter, with a little more miles (200k+). Most, though, have cab corners and rockers that are rusting away.

I am guessing that from a salvage yard it would be less than $1000.

I don't think that anything over $2500 is worth it. He didn't seem rel enthusiastic about my offer (and rightfully so with over $3k in recent repairs). But, unfortunately, it is what it is (SALVAGE needing work).

Ken Christopherson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: New Tractor Hauling Truck - '00 K2500 Crew Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did manage to find this beauty! I plan on looking at it sometime this week. 1987 Chevy C30 with a 1975 remanufactured 454 and 4 speed. Not the best for fuel mileage but will tow anything I am sure. Virtually rut free, and interior looks decent (pardon the poor picture). Speedometer doesn't work so mileage is unknown. He is asking $3500.

We'll see how this one looks. The undercarriage is really the main thing.

PretendFarmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: New Tractor Hauling Truck - '00 K2500 Crew Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The older trucks are neat and all but lack some obvious improvements over the 99-07 trucks.
The 4L80E is a stout trans but the first gear ratio is high. If you regularly haul over flat terrain then starting out wont be a problem. But my truck(04 2500HD 6.0 4L80E 4.10's) has struggled to start out on occasion on some of these north eastern hills where I have had the gooseneck at a loaded weight of 12,000lbs and foot to the floor to get going up a hill. Once it was moving it was fine. 4.10 rear end gearing is a REQUIREMENT with the 4L80E if you want to pull big trailers.
Never once have had a problem getting anywhere but it does start off slow.
Also, the 6.0 is a cast iron block like the older motors, but it has 6 bolt mains which greatly add it its durability. You can rev it to 6000 rpms. I regularly rev it to 4500rpms and that's where it climbs the somewhat steeper highway grades easily.

The frames on the older trucks are not as strong as the newer ones.
In my opinion, hauling a trailer with two tractors on it would be a bad idea. I'd keep trailer weights under 11,000 lbs on a pre-99 2500 and even that's getting kind of dangerous.

My gooseneck gets loaded to about 14,500 lbs or so.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters