Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

TO35 Fuel Tank

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lurayfarmer
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: TO35 Fuel Tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fergie friends,

I recently purchased an original-condition 1955 Ferguson TO35. The tractor had been left to sit with an empty tank for a long time, so now the tank is filled with rust and corrosion. My preference is to replace the tank. This model like other Fergies has the built-in 2-gallon reserve tank, along with the original "HF" bowl filter that has the two feeds for the dual tanks. Problem is that I can't tell from various vendor listings whether the repro tanks have that feature. Does anyone out there know?

Bill
Luray, Va

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: TO35 Fuel Tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Who ever told you the TO-35 had dual tanks told you wrong. The reserve is achieved by backing out the fuel shut off knob all the way so the shorter tube picks up the lower fuel level. The longer tube is the main feed with the knob turned out two turns open from the off position.

Lurayfarmer
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: TO35 Fuel Tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I see now that the reserve is achieved by an indentation in the bottom of the tank, so I agree that there is no separate internal fuel tank.

But ... when you look down into the fuel tank through the filler opening, to the side nearer the driver you see another similar opening about 2-3" down in what looks like a separate tank. Am I seeing an anti-slosh feature of some kind?

Charles in Aus.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: TO35 Fuel Tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The dual tank is used by petrol/ tractor vaporizing oil burning tractors . It is a feature of the Ferguson TED20 kerosene petro Standard engine . The small tank you call a reserve is the petrol tank used for starting and running until operating temp. is reached . The big tank used for the petrol kerosene oil mixture. The fuel tap at the base allowed you to switch over from one fuel to another from the driver's seat once the temp has been reached or you wanted to shut down .
Simple way to clean out the tank is to feed light chain into the inside then rotate the tank inside a concrete mixer .

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: TO35 Fuel Tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To my knowledge there is only one tank for that model.

The reserve is accomplished in the valve.

All replacement tanks are aftermarket. The one I bought was a poor fit.

Hard to say if the one you get will fit any better, but be ready to do some custom fitting.

wellmax99
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: TO35 Fuel Tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

tanks are the same,
as Steve said, the reserve tank option is accomplished with the cut off valve fuel bowel.
I had to buy the cut off at MF to get this option or I may have inserted a 1" long copper tube into the inlet of the cutoff of the new cutoff valve I bought, cannot remember which, I do not think they make the original quality fuel cutoff valves all are aftermarket,

you open the valve about 2 turns, the main inlet tube sticks up about 1" higher into the tank, keeps you from running out of fuel,

when you run out of gas, then you open up the valve all the way, it lets fuel run in from the shorter inlet tube, this is your reserve option.
hopefully, at least enough fuel to get back to the fueling tank if you have planned well.

my advise, never use this option, as you can suck all kinds of old fuel tank debris, that is lurking around in the bottom of your tank, into your fuel lines and carb.

I even placed an top quality metal inline fuel filter in the line between the cutoff valve and carb, best move I ever made to keep debris out of the carb.

your original tractor will stay low hours, if it will not run, because you have tank junk in the carb.

steve19438
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: TO35 Fuel Tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

since my machines get little use I always open the shut off valve all the way. that has so far prevented any gas line clogging in the 30 years I have been tractoring. knock on wood.

Lurayfarmer
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: TO35 Fuel Tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I will try to take a picture of the inside of the tank. Not sure it's possible given the poor lighting. There is clearly something that LOOKS LIKE a tank inside the tank. You can put a stiff wire through the round opening at the top and run it down to the bottom. It does look like you could fill it separately with a small funnel.

CVPost-Steve@Advance wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:29:42 11/06/17) To my knowledge there is only one tank for that model.

The reserve is accomplished in the valve.

All replacement tanks are aftermarket. The one I bought was a poor fit.

Hard to say if the one you get will fit any better, but be ready to do some custom fitting.

Dan S (NY)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: TO35 Fuel Tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fuel tanks usually have baffles in them to reduce sloshing. Some tanks also had a place for a fuel gauge sensor which is usually a round plate with a wire going into it. Is that what you might be seeing?

Dan

Lurayfarmer
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: TO35 Fuel Tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dan and others on this thread - I've managed to take some decent pictures looking down into the corroded tank from the filler opening. Generally the pictures are looking towards the driver's seat side. The "second tank" is a few inches below the top of the "main tank." Ideas and opinions?

Bill

Fuel tanks usually have baffles in them to reduce sloshing. Some tanks also had a place for a fuel gauge sensor which is usually a round plate with a wire going into it. Is that what you might be seeing?

Dan[img][/img]

Ron(Ont)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: TO35 Fuel Tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you had a dual tank, a Charles described, you would have two filler caps, and two drain fittings. Do you have photos of the outside?

Charles in Aus.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: TO35 Fuel Tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good suggestion Ron .
The dual tank with double fuel tap as fitted to TED 20 tractors .

Lurayfarmer
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: TO35 Fuel Tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can photo the outside but don't really need to. There is one filler cap through which I took the photos, and no fuel gauge hole. So what we have is an internal tank of some sort that would not fill until you filled up the main tank pretty far. If you filled the main tank to the top, this segregated tank would fill also by spillage though the opening. I've never seen anything like this so I continue to wonder what it's for. It certainly could be a two-gallon reserve that doesn't drain until the gas valve is turned out to full.

I realize some folks don't think so ... but it's hard to see why else you'd weld in a structure like this to the bottom of the tank before welding the top half on. The tank does not leak, but as the pictures show, it's pretty bad on the inside. I'd be willing to do the usual gas tank resto process, except that I don't see how it would work with this unusual section inside. If I go with a repro tank, I can flush this tank and take it apart to see how it is made.

Good suggestion Ron .
The dual tank with double fuel tap as fitted to TED 20 tractors .

[/quote]

Lurayfarmer
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: TO35 Fuel Tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Photo of the actual tractor below.

Richard L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: TO35 Fuel Tank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To be honest I do not believe that tank needs anything more than a good cleaning. I have seen some that were much much worse and the owner just cleaned it and rinsed it out good and put it back on. If you want to spend more money order a new tank and hope it will fit as well as the original one did.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters