Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Solution to a Rattle Can Problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Solution to a Rattle Can Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have recently picked up some aerosol paint cans that proclaim on the label that it will spray in any position. Well, that is nice but it means that you can't turn it upside down to clear it when done. I was using one can of primer paint fairly frequently, and it plugged when better than half full. I messed around with it for awhile, and determined that it was just the spray button top that was plugged. So I looked around and found that the PB Blaster button is the same. So I use the PB button now, and when done I put the button back on the PB and clear it with a quick shot of PB Blaster.

PJH
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution to a Rattle Can Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip - I've been shooting a shot of brake cleaner right into the tip after finishing. It has worked so far, but I like your idea better.

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Solution to a Rattle Can Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've had a couple clog up. Drip some laquer thinner into the spray tip and blow it out backward with compressed air.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Solution to a Rattle Can Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sometimes you can also pull the tip off and soak them in lacquer thinner and blow out with compressed air. What is easier is after you use up a can of paint save the tips for such an occasion.

I wonder why it is that usually it's white paint that stops up like that? Any other color you can use the whole can without a problem.

tractorguy2
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Solution to a Rattle Can Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I blow them out with air when I'm finished.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Solution to a Rattle Can Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had tried everything: blowing, soaking, picking and then I spotted that PB Blaster tip. This is on a can of primer. Probably thicker than most paints.

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution to a Rattle Can Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I also save all the old ones . I soak in lac thinner .

Ken Combs
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution to a Rattle Can Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a cabinet with all my paint supplies in it and on the top shelf is a pint jar, with lid, and little lacquer thinner. When I finish using a rattle can, its' tip gets stored in that jar, along with a bunch of spare that I've saved.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Solution to a Rattle Can Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take the plastic cap, turn it upside down on the bench, drop the nozzle in, and then add enough mineral spirits to cover. Leave it there until you need the nozzle again.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution to a Rattle Can Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

rustyfarmall wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:48:25 11/22/17)
Take the plastic cap, turn it upside down on the bench, drop the nozzle in, and then add enough mineral spirits to cover. Leave it there until you need the nozzle again.

Sorry Rusty, I would need another bench if I did that, LOL. The PB Blaster nozzle is just TOOOOO easy.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Solution to a Rattle Can Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

showcrop wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:14:53 11/22/17)
rustyfarmall wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:48:25 11/22/17)

Sorry Rusty, I would need another bench if I did that, LOL. The PB Blaster nozzle is just TOOOOO easy.

I understand completely. I HAVE the bench space, IF I would just take the time to clean and organize. I still don't know where that length of 2" pvc with #10 underground wire in it came from.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution to a Rattle Can Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

But when the tube inside the can plugs then how do you get that working? I have that problerm more than the tip pluging.

tractorguy2
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution to a Rattle Can Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I remove the tip and blow air through it backwards.

saele12
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution to a Rattle Can Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use to tip can and blow out they never work the next time. One day I wiped tip with acetone and set it aside. Don't remember ever having one not work again even after sitting for a year.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters