Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Carle wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:23:34 11/27/17) Does the fact that it has a spin on oil filter and is a 4 cylinder diesel help narrow things down?

All of the 1955-1964 4 cylinder models could have a kit installed to convert them to a spin-on filter if they didn't come with one.

Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Serial number will tell what year it is but not the model.
Model number is located behind the serial number.
Casting number on the right side of the engine will tell if it's a 144 ci 2000 engine or a 172 ci 4000 engine and years that engine was produced.
If it does have the select o speed trans there's 3 different casting numbers for the six years it was used in 59-64 model tractors.
Rear axle numbers will also help in id'ing the tractor.

I'm not familure with the high crop models but the info I've found doesn't match with what I see in the photo.
The info I've found indicates a high crop is a standard utility with long drop spindles and 38" rear tires.
The photo shows a tractor with long drop spindles and off set roll crop rear axle.
Casting number and any date codes will help determine what you have.

Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sean in PA wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:22:42 11/28/17)
Carle wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:23:34 11/27/17) Does the fact that it has a spin on oil filter and is a 4 cylinder diesel help narrow things down?

All of the 1955-1964 4 cylinder models could have a kit installed to convert them to a spin-on filter if they didn't come with one.

True that using the adapter any model can have the spin on filter, but the 60-64 172 block C0NN6015J block was cast for spin on filter and didn't use the adapter.

Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Casting number on the right side of the engine will tell if it's a 144 ci 2000 engine or a 172 ci 4000 engine and years that engine was produced.
If it does have the select o speed trans there's 3 different casting numbers for the six years it was used in 59-64 model tractors.

I'm not familure with the high crop models but the info I've found doesn't match with what I see in the photo.
The info I've found indicates a high crop is a standard utility with long drop spindles and 38" rear tires.
The photo shows a tractor with long drop spindles and off set roll crop rear axle.

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Provided everything is original, especially the hood and air intake at the manifold, that is a 4000 of the 63-64 vintage. 2000s would have been all blue except for fenders and wheels.

Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Agree, 4000 gray hood, 2000 blue hood, if original paint or correct repaint
Didn't know 2000 had a different intake pipe.

Edit: After searching I'm guessing your referring the intake pipe being for a 63 or later model, same pipe used on both models.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Destroked 450 wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:04:17 11/28/17)

Every pic that Have ever seen of a 4 cyl. row crop has been based on the row crop chassis. I have never seen one that was based on the utility chassis. A google search will show 3-4.

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Destroked 450 wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:11:39 11/28/17)
Edit: After searching I'm guessing your referring the intake pipe being for a 63 or later model, same pipe used on both models.

Yep! you got it figured out. I don't know when they quit that ugly big square box intake, but know 63-64 000s didn't have it anymore.

Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 62 881D has the box air cleaner, do care much for it but don't care for the air cleaners hanging off the side of the hood ether.
To bad the battery got in the way of the under hood gas type air cleaner on the diesel models.

Carle
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK thanks everyone. I am not going to see the tractor until early next week to check out everything I have been told to positively ID this tractor.I will advise this forum when I do. Thanks

Carle
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK I have spent some time getting numbers. And sure enough the serial and model number were right where you guys told me to look. Unfortunately they are hard to read.
Model# 12010 can't be certain
Serial# 160234 or 10234 The last three numbers were clear. Pretty much a guess of first two numbers. So not sure how much help that is.
Left side of engine. Just above oil pan. 4030
right side of engine. CONN60115J
Right side of trans. 310835 below that 3J9

The wheelbase was 76". That points to a model 2000 I believe.
Comments fellas?
Thanks

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Guys, correct if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there was a 12010 model in that era. It could be a 41201, 4000 w/4 spd and 540 PTO.

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Larry NCKS wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:15:43 12/04/17)
Guys, correct if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there was a 12010 model in that era. It could be a 41201, 4000 w/4 spd and 540 PTO.

Can't edit so an add: Forgot this is a diesel, therefore you're partially reading your model # which is 41201D rather than 12010. Your final digit is actually the D rather than 0. The D suffix designates a diesel powered unit. Gasoline units would not have a suffix.

Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Model # 12010 doesn't work, look to see if there's another number in front of the 1, also make sure the last 0 isn't a D

C0NN60115J has too many 1's
C0NN6015J is a 172 ci engine number used on the 4000 model

If the model # is 41201D it would be
4 = 4000
1= built in 63
20 = utility type with adjustable wide front axle
1 = 4 spd trans with pto
D = diesel engine

Serial # 160234 is consistent with a 63 model tractor

Carle
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yes I was wrong only one 1.
CONN6015J
I really am not going to be able to do better on the model/serial #'s. Badly corroded.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters