Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carle
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also on my Ford, how much stock can we put into the wheelbase? Tractor specs say the 2000 is 75.8 inches and the 4000 is 84.5
inches. It definitely measures the shorter one.

Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

None at all.

2000 and 4000 utilities have the same wheel base
2000 and 4000 roll crops have the same well base
The different wheels bases is between utilities and roll crops, also roll crop wide front has a longer wheel base than narrow front.

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you got those wheelbase numbers from tractordata.com, well.... they have been known to be incorrect... probably about 20% to 30% of the information on their web site is suspect in my eyes.

Carle
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK. Now to summarize. We seem to be in agreement my tractor is a 4000.
- pictures seem to suggest a 4000
- right colour hood
- the stamping number on engine indicates a 4000
- wheelbase dimension does not change between 2000 and 4000

Does the group think I will be safe in ordering parts for a 4000?
The tractor has been stored outside in a dusty dry environment for at least 15 years. I am expecting lots of engine work and all
components surrounding engine. Hopefully rear end and transmission will be mostly ok. Can anyone suggest a major problem I might
have? Any suggestions for getting parts? Anyone done something similar and can suggest what I might be spending (not including
labour) to get it in a good running condition? Not show room condition. But all things working and looking fairly good with new
tires and paint.

Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well everything indicates it's a 4000, engine numbers, what model numbers you could find, paint colors, but the numbers also indicate it's a utility, and it has a utility front axle with high crop spindles, but after a closer look at the photo it sure looks like it has a roll crop rear axle.
Can you post some more photos from the sides and rear.
I've been under the impression a high crop was a utility with tall front spindles and 38" rear tires on a standard utility rear axle, but that's not what I'm seeing in the photo.
Also those photos of all sides would give us a better idea of what you have to work with and need.

Carle
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ok I have some more. Thanks [img]http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/7187.jpg[/img] [img]http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/7188.jpg[/img] [img]http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/7190.jpg[/img] [img]http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/7191.jpg[/img]

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Destroked 450 wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:45:15 12/05/17)
roll crop

You've used this term several times. I think you mean "row crop"

And yes, the picture of the rear end definitely is that of a row crop 4000. Likely the transmission has been swapped in out of an all purpose.

Go to John Smith's Ford Tractor History and scroil way down to find the early 000 series.

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BTW, Carle, link color doesn't delineate itself well on my desktop.

If you hover over John Smith's Ford Tractor History it becomes a link to his wonderful page on early Ford tractors

Carle
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK Larry, should I be loading photos differently? Not sure what you mean. I have a few more if I can get my fat fingers to hit the right buttons. Why do you think transmission has been swapped out?

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not sure why your pictures didn't load when you tried to post them. I've posted them below. It's best to put each image with it "img" and "/img" tags on a separate line, otherwise if they do display the web page will load with them all next to each other and we will have to scroll our browser left to right to see them all.

Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry Larry, guess I was keeping close enough eye on auto correct.

row crop, how's that.

John

Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For sure a row crop axle.

Close up pics are ok but how bout backing off and getting pics of the hole tractor from both sides.

Carle
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK. I am a horrible photographer. Will get decent side shots next trip to farm. thx

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Carle wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:48:14 12/06/17) OK Larry, should I be loading photos differently? Not sure what you mean. I have a few more if I can get my fat fingers to hit the right buttons. Why do you think transmission has been swapped out?

Sean helped you load photos.

What I meant is that this, John Smith's Ford Tractor History , is a link to his website page detailing Ford tractor models from 1939 to 1964.

If you look really closely at "John Smith's Ford Tractor History" in the paragraph above you can tell it is dark blue rather than black like the rest of the text. If you hover over if it turns to red and it's underlined. If you click on it, it'll pull up that page of his website where you'll find some interesting and valuable Ford tractor history.

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Carle wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:48:14 12/06/17) OK Why do you think transmission has been swapped out?

Oops forgot to answer this one. The reason I think the transmission has been swapped is that you have a partial all purpose or utility model number stamped on the transmission and your tractor is very obviously (the rear end and drop box photos) a row crop version.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters