Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Larry NCKS wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:58:38 12/06/17)
Carle wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:48:14 12/06/17) OK Why do you think transmission has been swapped out?

Oops forgot to answer this one. The reason I think the transmission has been swapped is that you have a partial all purpose or utility model number stamped on the transmission and your tractor is very obviously (the rear end and drop box photos) a row crop version.

Well... all we really know for sure is that all of the components on that tractor did not leave the factory together. It could be that the rear end was swapped, or the transmission, or that it was pieced together from parts from a number of different tractors. Getting the date codes off of the major components would hopefully get you a majority "vote" on when most of the components were assembled if there is a majority that were assembled within a month or three of each other, and then you might be able to deduce from which components those are as to what the majority of the tractor was when it left the factory.

Carle
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have four more photos I shall try and share. I jacked up rear wheels and there are problems with the drop boxes on both sides. Wouldn’t surprise me if that was the reason it was parked all those years ago.

[img]http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/7314.jpg[/img] [img]http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/7315.jpg[/img] [img]http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/7316.jpg[/img] [img]http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/7317.jpg[/img]

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's your pictures

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Definitely ag style radius rod front end but with taller than normal spindles, and a row crop rear axle.

When you need parts for the rear axle and 3 point lift linkage look for 901 series or 4 cylinder 4000 row crop parts. When you need parts for anything else except the front spindles look for 801 or 4 cylinder 4000 series parts. I can't find those front spindles anywhere in the parts diagrams unless they used high clearance row crop axle ends on a standard ag chassis axle center.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is apparently a legitimate high crop even though not all the parts are original.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is apparently a legitimate high crop even though not all the parts are original.

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

showcrop wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:14:58 12/08/17)

I do not see a "high crop" model listed in the parts drawings. I do see a "High Clearance Row Crop" model listed and it has the regular row crop rear axle, and the front axle setup from a wide front row crop, but with taller spindles. That tractor has a radius rod front axle like a general purpose ag chassis model, not a wide front row crop front axle, but it has the taller spindles like a row crop.

pomester
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Carle wrote:
there are problems with the drop boxes on both sides

what is the nature of these problems?

Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like Dean I could only find the high clearance (high crop) axles and spindles in a row crop model listing.
With all of the modifications done to the hood, dash support and other components, though I hate to say it, I can only surmise that this tractor is a home made mutt.

I believe this tractor may have left the factory as a high clearance row crop model, but at some point the row crop front was wrecked or removed for some reason and a attempt was made to install a utility front support and steering.

Before I did much of anything to that tractor I'd check to see if the drive train was of usable condition. To me it would take a lot of time and money to get it back to a usable tractor, unless one has a junk row crop to rob the needed parts from.

That said, I don't think I'd junk it out, high clearance row crops are a bit rare.

With the last number in the model number possibly being a D instead of a 0.
D would be the suffix letter for a diesel engine which the tractor has.
4 is the suffix number for a high clearance wide front model.
But did Ford ever add 2 suffix numbers-letters to indicate a tractor had more than one option.
If not how can one verify a tractor like this is a diesel high clearance model.

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Destroked 450 wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:10:29 12/09/17)
Like Dean I could only find the high clearance (high crop) axles and spindles in a row crop model listing.
With all of the modifications done to the hood, dash support and other components, though I hate to say it, I can only surmise that this tractor is a home made mutt.

I believe this tractor may have left the factory as a high clearance row crop model, but at some point the row crop front was wrecked or removed for some reason and a attempt was made to install a utility front support and steering.

Before I did much of anything to that tractor I'd check to see if the drive train was of usable condition. To me it would take a lot of time and money to get it back to a usable tractor, unless one has a junk row crop to rob the needed parts from.

That said, I don't think I'd junk it out, high clearance row crops are a bit rare.

With the last number in the model number possibly being a D instead of a 0.
D would be the suffix letter for a diesel engine which the tractor has.
4 is the suffix number for a high clearance wide front model.
But did Ford ever add 2 suffix numbers-letters to indicate a tractor had more than one option.
If not how can one verify a tractor like this is a diesel high clearance model.

I believe that they did use multiple suffixes if the tractor had more than one option that would call for a suffix.

The model number that's on the transmission claims it is a general purpose ag chassis, not a row crop at all and a high clearance row crop would have a row crop model number with the 4 as a suffix.

But that number is on the transmission so the transmission was not in the same tractor that the rear axle was when they left the factory. As I said in an earlier post, that's all you can really say without knowing the date codes on all of the major components to get a "vote" on what the majority of the tractor is.

Carle
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have made the decision to retrieve this tractor tomorrow and take it to my shop for further investigation. I have not made the decision to restore just to keep checking things.

Rear drop boxes. When jacked up the wheel turn backwards fine. One side goes forward but grudgingly. The other side will not go forward. I am guessing the brake pads are binding.

Transmission seems fine. Shifts in and out of gears.

Serial number. Haven't given up on it. Once back in shop I shall try to see more numbers.

First thing I want is to get the head off and have a look. Then take rear wheels off and check it all out.

I do not think much of the tin will be usable. I shall be looking for better condition used parts if and when I go ahead.

Thanks very much everyone. Very good feedback from all.

Carle
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK. got the tractor in shop. Rear wheels did turn alright.
Model # update. As you guys told me last digit is a D. Younger eyes than mine think the model # is 1281D. Not sure how that adds to things.

Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with ID of my 4 cyl diesel Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Carle wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:17:06 12/11/17) OK. got the tractor in shop. Rear wheels did turn alright.
Model # update. As you guys told me last digit is a D. Younger eyes than mine think the model # is 1281D. Not sure how that adds to things.

Beginning number is still missing, should be a 2 or 4
Double check but I think the 8 is actually a 0

Google www.oldfordtractors.com, Identifying Old Ford Tractors.
Scroll down to the section on 62-64 2-4-6000 tractors
There's a list of number combinations you can compare to to ID the tractor as best as possible.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters