Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

65 pound small squares....really?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brutus49DC
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 pound small squares....really? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ours were around 38 inches long and weighed 70 to 80lbs. and they were not wet. We just cranked the tension down. Our oats straw bales weighed more then 40lbs!

gbs
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 pound small squares....really? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

don't know the weight of the bales but I was watching an old video clip on a case wire tie baler and the bales looked almost like a wooden block, the man grabbing them from the baler looked a little wobble legged handling them

SVcummins
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 pound small squares....really? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

65 pounds are the kind of bales you carry one in
each hand now the 80 pound bales are the ones
that get harder to handle

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: 65 pound small squares....really? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used to make longer, heavier bales, probably 45-50 lbs. grass hay. These days I'm averaging a 35 lbs bale about 30-32" long. No one wants to handle anything bigger or heavier. It's all the same to me. If that's what they want, great. As long as it's solid enough to stack well and SWMBO is happy, I'm good.

I ran a load off for a neighbor after changing some stuff on the old 68 and he got some really, really dense bales that my arm says ran closer to 50lbs plus. He wasn't very happy at all!

Part Time Pete
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: 65 pound small squares....really? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the hay is as dry as it should be (15%) my NH 316 will not make a 32" 65lb bale. With the tension all the way down, all the hay dogs in good shape, and four chamber wedges, they come out in the 45-50lb range.
I think we have a tendency to overestimate the weight of our bales - especially as we get older...

Farmallb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: 65 pound small squares....really? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Casenutty, wish I had you here to show me why my 140 wont tie. Mine has the Case air cooled engine set sideways on it. Had another that had a PTO shaft. I think I took it off, but I guess it didn't make the move.
I remember once that granddad Adolph was bailing wet clover with his 45 IHC string tie bailer. I saw water running out of the chamber. It hurt my hands after a short while to get my fingers underneath the strings, and all I could do was to get them to the wagon. Somebody else had to put them on it. I was around 13. Id guess those bales crammed 100lbs alful close.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 65 pound small squares....really? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My bales run 34-36" with weight at 50-55# as weighed. It can vary somewhat with lighter bales at higher baling speeds in coarse material but seldom below 45#.

Rod

lastcowboy32
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 pound small squares....really? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Brutus49dc wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:12:37 11/29/17) Ours were around 38 inches long and weighed 70 to 80lbs. and they were not wet. We just cranked the tension down. Our oats straw bales weighed more then 40lbs!

What kind of baler. If it's a run of the mill NH baler (273, 316, 276, etc); I would be highly suspect of anybody getting 80 pound twine tie bales out of it.

My 276 puts out somewhere around 45 pound bales at the length that I have set. When my father-in-law bales, he sometimes doesn't get off and adjust the tension for varying field conditions.

Most of the time, it's fine, and we might get the occasional 60 lb bale; but if it tries to really pack some wet stuff into something that would weigh 80 pounds or so, we end up with broken bales, twine pulling out of the twine fingers, or both.

Maybe my twine fingers are too loose, but you know what? I don't want to pick up an 80 pound bale anyway. The broken bales are just a reminder to my father-in-law to relax the tension and re-bale; before I go to pick them up Smile

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 pound small squares....really? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bale them at 40-45 lbs, but I bet that the first bale that I ever made was over 100 lbs. there was a lot of shade on the little patch and I didn't have a tedder, just the rake. I didn't know yet how to tell when it was dry, so when I started baling with a lot of moisture in it, of course there was more resistance to it in the chamber which was probably rusty to boot, so it packed it in really tight. The bale was also longer than it should have been, probably over four feet. When I got it out I could not lift even one end of it.

mschwartz
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 pound small squares....really? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have made a lot of bales with JD 336 and now a case is sb531, average 70 lb bales are about 44". That seems to make bales tight enough to
stack well but small enough to handle. The new baler will make good alfalfa bales 85 lbs if I wanted it but my back is too tired.

dhermesc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: 65 pound small squares....really? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Depends on the baler. My IH 47 wire tie baler can only squeeze out about 55 pound brome bales - that's about the best it can manage. With prairie hay the best it could do was 45 pounds. I also have a 276 New Holland baler that has a rusty bale chute that didn't get used enough to shine it up last year (first year I owned it). I only ran about 70 bales of prairie hay through it and those bales came out weighing a good 65 pounds even with the tension set a little light. I was also snapping shear bolts right and left too.

MSS3020
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 65 pound small squares....really? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a scale weigh in at 55-65 freshly baled 36" with a 273 N.H. But after they sit in shed.. selling out of shed
they def wont be that heavy.. most folks dont relize what weight a bale is or would be.. I had a guy call one time to
buy wanted 85 pounders.. I started laughing..

I have a bale wagon so weight does matter to me..

Bill VA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 65 pound small squares....really? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bret4207 wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:57:01 11/30/17)
I used to make longer, heavier bales, probably 45-50 lbs. grass hay. These days I'm averaging a 35 lbs bale about 30-32" long. No one wants to handle anything bigger or heavier. It's all the same to me. If that's what they want, great. As long as it's solid enough to stack well and SWMBO is happy, I'm good.

I ran a load off for a neighbor after changing some stuff on the old 68 and he got some really, really dense bales that my arm says ran closer to 50lbs plus. He wasn't very happy at all!

This is what we do. Easier on everyone and our customers really like them.

BushogPapa
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: 65 pound small squares....really? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our baler was an old 116W JD side-winder and the only complaints we got was that most people could not get their fingers under the wires, to handle them..!!

How heavy, I am not sure, but more than Twice what the neighbors weighed..they thought we were GOOD help, when they needed help..!!!

I CAN tell you that good Straw bales were as heavy as any Hay bales, from that baler...

We Custom Baled for years..Mom had no trouble punching out 1,000 a day with the WD-45 and that 116W..

Ron.

Bud Sather in MT
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 65 pound small squares....really? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use a jd 348 baler. It has the 14 x 18 bale chamber. When baling grass I generally get a 75+ pound bale and in mostly alfalfa it is 80+ pounds. That being said my bales are 42 - 44 inches long. I like them that long because with my NH 1036 stack wagon I can haul 80 bales to the load and my stack has 10 bales on the tie tier. You will have to ask the daughter how heavy the bales were 3 years ago.
Bud

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters