Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1020 hydraulic issues

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1020 hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IIRC, if steering pulls to one side there's a problem in the power steering gear... IIRC, if you get far enough into the valve section you have to keep track of shims as used/have special tools or procedures to select shims.

I would bet on an issue somewhere in that valve area, in the upper part of the guts of the power steering gear.

You surely aren't operating it with the cover/RH bearing missing from the steering shaft, are you?

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1020 hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As previously stated. Stop that open centre operation with the oil flowing through that 3rd line directly into the transmission case.
Oil should only flow from the loader valves and back into the tractor filter housing. When the loader control valve is operated to move the loader.
The previous tinkerer who cobbled up the 3rd line mess needs a good swift kick on the backside.

mb1020
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1020 hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So if I understand correctly... cap off the output at the pump, then check pressure off the pump directly using the port on top opposite the destroke valve?

mb1020
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1020 hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The first pic is the working tractor. the second pic is the spare part tractor. The lines are hard to see but definitely crushed.

mb1020
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1020 hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob, Yes that's what I thought about the steering. But here is what I did: I have 2 pretty much identical machines. Before ripping apart the steering on the running tractor, I tore out the one on the parts tractor, replaced ALL the seals, cleaned the valves, one was sticking a bit, and installed it on the running tractor. I had the other valve set as a guide, and installed everything the same as I took it out.
When I tested it, the steering operated slightly better, but stilled pulled to the right as soon as I let go of the wheel, moving or not. this was the same symptom I had before switching out and rebuilding the entire valve assembly. I guess it's possible that both machines had the same exact problem but it seems a bit unlikely. and No the cover is back on the tractor. Very Happy

gene g
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1020 hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can put the gauge directly on out put end of an open center pump . The pump will destroke and stop pumping when it hits standby pressure . You can then adjust to
correct pressure . Then reconnect pressure line. If pressure drops you know you have an internal leak on the high pressure side. In loader, 3point , steering ,or
selective control. You will then be able to eliminate one at a time to find your problems .When you resealed steering and replace orings did you remove the housing or just the valves and shaft .

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1020 hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A wee slip there, and I'll admit I have done worse. Closed centre destroys, the open centre lifts the relief valve if dead headed .....if the relief valve is between the pump and the dead head.

gene g
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1020 hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

SORRY I said open center pump my mistake I should have said closed center pump . My mistake my proof reading needs some help.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1020 hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:03:33 12/01/17)
IIRC, if steering pulls to one side there's a problem in the power steering gear... IIRC, if you get far enough into the valve section you have to keep track of shims as used/have special tools or procedures to select shims.

I would bet on an issue somewhere in that valve area, in the upper part of the guts of the power steering gear.

I agree with Bob in that problem with steering should be in steering housing assembly.

BUT 1st thing you need to do is get hyd loader control valve repaired or replaced so no oil exits return hose when valve is in neutral.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1020 hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

buickanddeere wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:55:41 12/02/17)
A wee slip there, and I'll admit I have done worse. Closed centre destroys, the open centre lifts the relief valve if dead headed .....if the relief valve is between the pump and the dead head.

D@mmed Spell Checker............" De-Stroked" not "destroyed".

mb1020
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1020 hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim, where did you get the image of the valve you mentioned with the plug. I can't find one like that on JDparts. None of the sectional drawings seem to match my loader. They all look like closed center. Perhaps someone replaced the valve? Your image looks right, but I need part numbers.
The image below is the closest one I found but the plug looks wrong.

I'm going to replace the supply lines first, because if the pump is not getting enough oil flow there is no point in checking anything else.

On the steering, I pulled everything apart, completely stripped it down. I replaced one shim that was worn with one off the the spare steering valve. No signs of wear otherwise. The only thing that may be a problem is one of the tiny valves was not operating very well. I cleaned it and would guess it was at 90% when I put it back in. That was the upper valve. I would have just swapped the valve but the other spare one was much worse. I should have seen a major improvement after the rebuild, even if the new valve was not 100%.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1020 hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can find schematic for convertible(OC to CC & vice versa) valve in JD parts catalog for model 37,48 & 145 loaders plus probably more catalogs.

On steering if one or more of the 6 large o-rings is leaking it can make hyd's do strange things especially heat up & cause frt pump to cavitate.

mb1020
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1020 hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks Jim.

Yeah all the orings got switched out, but it could be possible one got out of place when the valve assembly was inserted in the housing. Not exactly easy to get back together.

Just doesn't make sense to me the new (different) valve would have the exact same issue as the old one I removed.

I've had issues for a long time with the steering locking when stepping on the brakes a lot especially when using the bucket, however this new problem of the steering pulling right started not long after the last time we split the tractor. The tractor is also much easier to steer while moving then when stopped. Most of the time I have no power steering to the left, and as soon as you let go of the wheel it pulls all the way right every time.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1020 hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Applying brakes on a JD utility tractor of this era should have little to no affect on operation of hyd's because only thing hyd's do is keep brake valve reservoir full by means of trans pump pressure.

mb1020
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1020 hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gene, yes the steering housing was swapped as well. I looked at it pretty carefully and couldn't see any obvious flaws.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters