Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Stumbled into an easy solution

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Logan in SE Texas
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Stumbled into an easy solution Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm helping a neighbor who lost everything from flooding due to Harvey. He has a Toro zero turn with a 23hp Kawasaki engine. We were working on it and needed to get the old gas out of the tank and it wasn't draining well at all. I tried blowing on the fill hole but it was too big to get a good seal. After pondering the situation and scanning around my shop I stumbled onto a solution. I got my electric leaf blower and stuck it in the fill hole and gave it a few shots and it pushed all the nasty gas out, had some clumps of stuff come out too. My neighbor thought that this trick was the neatest thing and i was just happy to get the tank completely empty. blew out all the hoses with air compressor, hooked everything back up and poured in a can of Seafoam and some fresh gas. Haven't got to the point of trying to start engine yet but at least we know it will have fresh clean gas.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbled into an easy solution Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oh boy, didn't you know a electric motor creates a spark. You were very lucky.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbled into an easy solution Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was just going to say the same thing.

cwtech
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbled into an easy solution Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As others have said, the electric leaf blower was NOT a good idea!

Since you had compressed air to use, a rag wrapped around the air nozzle would have created the needed seal at the tank opening.

leroy in ne
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbled into an easy solution Reply to specific post Reply with quote

even worse is shop vac. 2 killed in explosion/fire in garage a year or so ago in Lincoln using wet vac to empty gas tank.

Gene Davis (Ga.)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbled into an easy solution Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You were fortunate in that you did not earn yourself one of the Darwin awards!

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbled into an easy solution Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A gaggle of alarmist for nothing!!! Some of you should just stay safely in bed.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbled into an easy solution Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I disagree with JMOR in principle. If the leaf blower had a 20 ft hose on it, or a blow port on a shop vac with 20 ft of hose, It would be safe. I see the issue being one of using a hose into a container to prevent splashing and potential fire/explosion of the pushed out material. Risky, uncertain practices are not advisable even if it worked once. The Challenger disaster was clearly an example of a problem waiting to happen. Jim

jimg.allentown
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbled into an easy solution Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And so, the "safety police" come out of the woodwork to tell you what you did wrong.

Don't forget to add that your insurance might not cover that.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbled into an easy solution Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Janicholson wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:21:41 12/01/17) I disagree with JMOR in principle. If the leaf blower had a 20 ft hose on it, or a blow port on a shop vac with 20 ft of hose, It would be safe. I see the issue being one of using a hose into a container to prevent splashing and potential fire/explosion of the pushed out material. Risky, uncertain practices are not advisable even if it worked once. The Challenger disaster was clearly an example of a problem waiting to happen. Jim
well, Jan, everything is a disaster waiting to happen! Crossing a street for example. Good to know valuable info such as 20 feet is beyond the greatest distance gas vapor can travel and still ignite.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbled into an easy solution Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JMOR wrote:
( Good to know valuable info such as 20 feet is beyond the greatest distance gas vapor can travel and still ignite.

20 feet, we don't need no steenk'in 20 feet to be safe!

PLEASE don't try this at home!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Z295lQgV0

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbled into an easy solution Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't see the real danger in what you did.

Big difference in blowing into a tank than sucking fumes out with a shop vac.

pete black
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbled into an easy solution Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Whats not being factored in is the fuel/oxygen ratio for inition, plus gasoline vapors are heavier than air so they will sink to ground level. Most any shop will have gasoline emmitting vapors while electric motors operate.

ggb3
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbled into an easy solution Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Janicholson wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:21:41 12/01/17) I disagree with JMOR in principle. If the leaf blower had a 20 ft hose on it, or a blow port on a shop vac with 20 ft of hose, It would be safe. I see the issue being one of using a hose into a container to prevent splashing and potential fire/explosion of the pushed out material. Risky, uncertain practices are not advisable even if it worked once. The Challenger disaster was clearly an example of a problem waiting to happen. Jim

10 out of 10 engineers that dealt with the o-rings told NASA not to launch at those temperatures. NASA had the president coming and really wanted to launch so they ignored the engineers unanimous response that NASA themselves asked for. They asked for professional and sound advice and completely ignored it, with predictable result. Someone should have been tried for manslaughter or negligent homicide.

ldj
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbled into an easy solution Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Steve@Advance wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:55:08 12/01/17) I don't see the real danger in what you did.

Big difference in blowing into a tank than sucking fumes out with a shop vac.

Yes,Yes big difference. with vacuum you are pulling fumes right into the motor. With blower you are pushing air.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters