Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Splitting wood with 8n

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kev518n
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Splitting wood with 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got my remote hooked up on the 8n so I could run the splitter I built. This was the first wood I split with it. Worked great.

Jimmyjack
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitting wood with 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you hooked up to a front pump?

kev518n
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitting wood with 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Jimmyjack wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:53:18 12/01/17) Are you hooked up to a front pump?
Yes sir

Colin King
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitting wood with 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very nice! We spent the day hauling wood out of the woods today. We'll split it in the spring and season for 2018-19.

Colin, MN

allenlane
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Splitting wood with 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice kev, could you show some pics of the pump setup. I've never seen one.

Flatheadpete
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Splitting wood with 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's something I'd like to do with mine. But I have a good friend who has a splitter we built out of a scrap Wheel Horse garden tractor...hood and all! It works way too efficiently to justify the expense to make my 9n do it.

kev518n
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Splitting wood with 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Flatheadpete wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:48:07 12/02/17) That's something I'd like to do with mine. But I have a good friend who has a splitter we built out of a scrap Wheel Horse garden tractor...hood and all! It works way too efficiently to justify the expense to make my 9n do it.

kev518n
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Splitting wood with 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

allenlane wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:36:41 12/02/17) Nice kev, could you show some pics of the pump setup. I've never seen one.
The splitter started off as a 3 point splitter and I was on my way to turning it in to a stand alone. I found a Paulson front end loader for my tractor and needed to install a front pump to run it more efficiently than the 3 point lever. So I figured why have to buy 2 pumps and have a engine setting around several months out of the year not being ran. So I put a big enough front pump on to run the splitter. And I gain a set of remotes if I ever need to unfold a hay take or anything else than has hydraulics.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Splitting wood with 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

kev518n wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:27:51 12/02/17)
Flatheadpete wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:48:07 12/02/17) That's something I'd like to do with mine. But I have a good friend who has a splitter we built out of a scrap Wheel Horse garden tractor...hood and all! It works way too efficiently to justify the expense to make my 9n do it.

That chain coupler worked out nicely. I'm confused by the remote valve on the fender - is that the control valve for the cylinder on the log splitter cylinder or some sort of selector valve for the quick connects????

TOH

kev518n
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Splitting wood with 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the valve on the fender is what I control the remotes with. The splitter has its own valve

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Splitting wood with 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

kev518n wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:57:04 12/02/17) the valve on the fender is what I control the remotes with. The splitter has its own valve

I'm still confused. How do you use that valve to supply the valve on the log splitter? If it is a single spool control valve which is what it looks like I would expect it to be spring return to center...

TOH

kev518n
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Splitting wood with 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TheOldHokie wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:46:49 12/02/17)
kev518n wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:57:04 12/02/17) the valve on the fender is what I control the remotes with. The splitter has its own valve

I'm still confused. How do you use that valve to supply the valve on the log splitter? If it is a single spool control valve which is what it looks like I would expect it to be spring return to center...

TOH
It is spring return so i do have to manually hold it in with a bungee cord.

Blackhole49
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Splitting wood with 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a JD #5 three point splitter that I run off my 8n hydraulics. Its not the fastest splitter in the world but never failed to
split anything I put in it. It does use more gas than the 30 ton Husky with a 13hp honda I bought at auction. Consequently it
spends most of it's life in the corner of the barn.

kev518n
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitting wood with 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This would usually get left in the woods.

No problem for the splitter

HFJ
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitting wood with 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

kev518n wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:18:56 12/02/17) This would usually get left in the woods.

No problem for the splitter

lovely piece. is that elm?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters