Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

got my eye on one

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericlb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: got my eye on one Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i would like some opinions, a friend and i found a ford 901 diesel select o shift [ i know, but if it works...] it looks like a high crop with drop down final drives, taller tires and drop down wide front, im not all that familiar with the bigger fords,price seems reasonable, its in work clothes and seems to be honest from the pics, to see it in person which ill do is a 200 mile drive one way my thinking it there isnt many of these out west here and it might be worth picking up

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: got my eye on one Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Piece of junk, Get an N.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: got my eye on one Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would not bother.
Those diesels are sweet, the row crops (not high crop) are fun and powerful but the Select O Speeds are not for the average man.
If you have the skills to overhaul a C6 automatic transmission out of a 1970s Ford automobile maybe. You gotta get The Manual just to change the oil filter in them or adjust the gear selector lever, remove the top cover, adjust the bands or check the servo pressures. You up for that level of a learning curve? If so go for it.
Some guys love the things.
I have one of those transmissions. I like the tractor it's in but not that transmission. Mine is a later model. Supposedly they had the kinks worked out of them by then. To me it is an agravating, jerking darned thing to drive.
One of Fords biggest boondoggles ever was that transmission.
Look into the Ford 6000. In some ways it was way ahead of its time. They ONLY came with that SOS transmission. And I'll bet there aren't 20% of them still in service -on account of those Jerk O Matics.

wellmax99
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: got my eye on one Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Years ago I helped an old man hook up a cultivator to a ford tractor with this transmission,
I was going to get in close so I could attach the lower arms,

He said stand back as I can only move this thing 6? at a time, it was wild, but we finally drug it around and got it hooked up,
I did not like it very much, but the transmission may have been in need of repair,

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: got my eye on one Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have one and I like it and I use it a lot. It is highly unlikely that it is an original Select-O-Speed, nearly all of them were changed out at the factory for the second generation SOS, but a few got by. Many of the later models with the SOS are still working regularly. It is true that parts are hard to get but that is the case with many of the 60 year old tractors. They also have their quirks like creeping when in neutral until warmed up. People say that they jerk when shifting. I suppose they do. As UD said it is highly unlikely that it is a high crop, much more likely that it is a row crop.

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: got my eye on one Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a friend that has a 900 series with Select-o-matic transmission. His shifts really smooth.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: got my eye on one Reply to specific post Reply with quote

showcrop wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:11:50 12/02/17)
I have one and I like it and I use it a lot. It is highly unlikely that it is an original Select-O-Speed, nearly all of them were changed out at the factory for the second generation SOS, but a few got by. Many of the later models with the SOS are still working regularly. It is true that parts are hard to get but that is the case with many of the 60 year old tractors. They also have their quirks like creeping when in neutral until warmed up. People say that they jerk when shifting. I suppose they do. As UD said it is highly unlikely that it is a high crop, much more likely that it is a row crop.

I meant changed out at dealers under a factory program.

tractorguy2
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: got my eye on one Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It not a high crop. it's a row crop. They were made for more ground clearance for cultivating. My dad has a 1962 4000 row crop SOS gas. Dads 4000 is just a newer version of a 971.

The transmission works very well. When moving snow the 4000 will run circles around the 706. My two biggest complaints. One, it is hard to get on and off. Two, With the wide front it will not turn short.

On dads SOS you adjust the bands from the outside. No need to remove the cover.

Colin King
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: got my eye on one Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have the 961 (5spd) diesel and absolutely love it. Lots of power, and incredibly easy on fuel. For light work, it uses about 75% of the fuel the N does. Regarding the Select-O-Speed, if the price is good (a 901 or 801 diesel in my neck of the woods will easily run $4k in work clothes), swap the tranny with the 5spd from a boneyard or parts tractor.

Colin, MN

W_B
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: got my eye on one Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Ultradog MN wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:14:52 12/03/17) Look into the Ford 6000. In some ways it was way ahead of its time. They ONLY came with that SOS transmission. And I'll bet there aren't 20% of them still in service -on account of those Jerk O Matics.

Our 6000 Commander was a nice running tractor and the transmission wasn't a big problem, except it had a seal that kept leaking between the transmission and the rear end. The dealer had it twice fixing it in the relatively short time we had it. Otherwise we really liked it. It was a bit herky-jerky however. When we owned the thing it wasn't that old, I think Dad bought it in 1971-72.

Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: got my eye on one Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can't disagree more, owned one for many years and did everything on the farm with it. There's got to be more to the "jerkyness" in regards to repair or adjustment. Mine was good in that respect, sure you knew it was shifting but nothing drastic, it was smoother than not from starting off to upshifting and downshifting. It was formerly a highway mowing tractor, racked up plenty of trouble free hours over the years too.

grandpa Love
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: got my eye on one Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the price is right go for it. Everyone has an opinion. Go form your own! Lol. If sos is crap swap it out for a 5 speed. Post some pictures.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters