Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

plowing with eagle hitch

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenbob
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: plowing with eagle hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just bought a Ford 101 plow for my Case VAC. I know there is a specific plow for Eagle hitch that allows the plow to curve if the tractor curves. All of my plowing is straight line. The question is, the rolling land slide is missing. I looked about buying a straight land slide and I was surprised at how expensive and hard to find they are considering this was and is a popular plow. Since the Eagle does not sway like 3pt, do I even have to worry about a land slide? It would seem not. My Eagle is tight with not much sway at all.

kenbob
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: plowing with eagle hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In case you are wondering, I paid $230 for a 3-14 bottom. It has Ford bottoms not Oliver. I am in the process of dropping one bottom now and that beam and moldboard would be for sale for anyone wanting to come to the KC area to pick up. I thought it was a good price compared to others around here, especially because the moldboards don't have any rust pits. Shares aren't so great, but they are cheap enough to replace.

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: plowing with eagle hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah, you need to drop at least one bottom. Here you'd need to drop 2. You also need that rolling landside. Without it...you might just have got took. I don't know if that plow will work right at all with out the landside. I doubt it. You're also going to have to fiddle a bit to get it to fit the Eagle hitch I expect.

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: plowing with eagle hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can you post a few photos of you plow?

kenbob
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: plowing with eagle hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here are the photos I hope. I bought this plow because: it is considered one of the better plows, it pulls easy (but they might be talking about the
ones with Oliver Moldboards, It is 4 bolts to drop the 3rd bottom and beam, I can still drop bottom 2 if pulls too hard. 2 bottoms are going about
350+ around here with crappy moldboards.

kenbob
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: plowing with eagle hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

as far as working with the eagle hitch. It is hooked up. I had to slide plow to the right and may still have to move in the right wheel on the tractor.

If I don't find a wheel or landslide and it gives me problems, there is always the welder and scap iron. It would seem if it is mounted that rigidly it won't need a slide as much as regular 3pt

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: plowing with eagle hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It might plow okay without that wheel since you will be plowing in straight lines. Your VAC should be able to pull that plow without any trouble. As long as the moldboards scour up nice and shiny. It would be a good idea for you to use some sand paper on the mold boards before you poke them in the ground. If not, the plow will pull pretty hard.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: plowing with eagle hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In light ground you vac would likely pull 3-14s. If it's hooked right and your wheels are set right it should pull fine. If you drop a bottom you will need to re-adjust the settings.

connor9988
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: plowing with eagle hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

3 bottoms will be too much probably. 2 should do alright. 1 will be the best. 2-3 bottom might pull your front end to the right when plowing especially without the landslide.

connor9988
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: plowing with eagle hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also, you will probably need some rear weight on the VAC to help get traction. I have 2 sets of VAC wheel weights on mine.

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: plowing with eagle hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Conner, Your plow doesn't pull the tractors front wheels to the right, even though you don't have a landside wheel

I was also watching the hydraulic cylinder top link, shown in the first video, and it seems to be working as a floating top link.

connor9988
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: plowing with eagle hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

L Fure. It is somewhat hard to notice but mos of the time I have the front wheels turned into the furrow wall somewhat. Especially when you hit a hard spot you better be ready to tromp on that left brake
pedal!

The hydraulic toplink has an anti-creep valve in it and will only move when I pull the lever. It does make it very nice to adjust the plow on the fly. If I hit a long hard spot I simply adjust the angle of the
plow and it slides through. This way I do not have to raise the plow altogether.

kenbob
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: plowing with eagle hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have no intention of pulling 3 bottoms. My garden is an acre of small narrow strips. I am not sure what an MRB plow is. It looks like that plow is set far to the right. Mine is too and I am still going to have to push the wheel all the way in so second pass share edge will hit the edge of the furrow. The plow is going to trail quit wonky behind the tractor with that set up. I was contemplating going to 1 bottom. I currently have a CA Allis that has all kinds of power but can only do one bottom due to the live power clutch slipping. Main thing I need lift for is I have to back down each row to do the next one. THat isnt a big deal either as each row is 100 or less. It would seem if I go to one bottom, I won't have to worry too much that the plow is a bit crooked. Do you think i might be right about that. Eagle plows must be off set a lot more, or something that this plow isnt near far enough to the right.

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: plowing with eagle hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To make your plow track better you need to adjust the landside on the last plow moldboard to the left, if that is possible. If you had a landside wheel you would also adjusted that to the left, or closer to the wall of the furrow.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: plowing with eagle hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you set up the plow to pull correctly you don't need a furrow wheel or long land slide. If you don't then it will still pull crooked with either. You need to have the line of pull set correctly and that varies with the plow. That is why you need to have the furrow wheel set to the correct width to fit the plow your pulling. It's possible that your plow can drop one or even 2 bottoms and work, but each instance will require changing the hookups and possibly your tire width.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters