Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Spark Plug blow by - Is my 2N head dead?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
allenlane
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Spark Plug blow by - Is my 2N head dead? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just got my 2N running after sitting up for 3-4 years. I'm not getting any smoke at all out of the exhaust pipe, but I can see a little oil build up around the base of the #4 plug. I took it out and can see the plug seat has rusted slightly so the seat is not sealing under the plug. I've not done a compression test yet, but that #4 plug is pretty black, so I likely will need a ring job in the future.
Question - Is my head shot? Any way to fix it?

shaun wallace
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug blow by - Is my 2N head dead? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are the plugs 437 autolite and do all have gaskets/seal ring on them. With no gaskets and loose will leak around them.

tractorguy2
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug blow by - Is my 2N head dead? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Black plugs are pretty much normal. I would start with new
plugs.

allenlane
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug blow by - Is my 2N head dead? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They are HO12's and #4 is the only one leaking. I tightened it down much more than the others and reduced the leaking substantially. That head design, with the recessed plug cavity must be conducive to having moisture and junk settle in there for tractors that live outside, as many of them do.

allenlane
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug blow by - Is my 2N head dead? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The plugs are brand new.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug blow by - Is my 2N head dead? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get a thread chaser and clean the threads. Make sure the plug is seated correctly and has a gasket.

If the threads are wallowed out, you can fix it, or just replace the head.
75 Tips

Tim PloughNman Daley
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug blow by - Is my 2N head dead? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 14mm plug, original FORD spec'd for Champion H10, now can use a hotter plug, Champion H12 (numbered 512 now)or the equally good Auto Lite 437 plug. Gap spec is .025" -.027". The lug thread size is METRIC -14mm x 1.25mm (thread pitch, TPI, Threads Per Inch)) -DO NOT USE ANYTHING ELSE!!!

Tim Daley(MI)

allenlane
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug blow by - Is my 2N head dead? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What am I missing? I'm talking about the honed section of the head that the plug washer seals/seats against being rusted out /worn...and you guys are talking about threads. The threads are fine and yes, of course there is a washer. Doesn't sound like a worn head is a common problem.

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug blow by - Is my 2N head dead? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

allenlane wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:26:30 12/04/17) What am I missing? I'm talking about the honed section of the head that the plug washer seals/seats against being rusted out /worn...and you guys are talking about threads. The threads are fine and yes, of course there is a washer. Doesn't sound like a worn head is a common problem.

If the threads are damaged it is possible the plug is not seating all the way, which would cause it to leak. the washer should crush causing it to seal even on a corroded surface. IMHO

kylemorley
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug blow by - Is my 2N head dead? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it isn't too far gone, It might be worth trying a real, solid, copper plug washer, and anneallng it by heating it up red hot and dropping it into water. to soften it so it will make a better seal. This is
standard practice in the light aviation world and perfectly safe. Don't be shy about annealing it several times in a row. If it works you probably will have to replace the washer/gasket anyrtime you
remove the plug, no problem, the copper gaskets can be annealed many times.

Otherwise your best bet is to take the head to a decent automotive machine shop and see what they can tell you.

You'd think it would be a common enough problem that any decent auto machine shop would have a spark plug seat refacer but I can't recall ever seeing one. You could mill or turn it, but that could
easily end up costing as much as a new head.

Jim WI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug blow by - Is my 2N head dead? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Spark Plug Hole Conditioning Tool

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug blow by - Is my 2N head dead? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

" Spark Plug Hole Conditioning Tool "

Interesting. I've always called them spark plug thread chasers. Hence my comment " Get a thread chaser and clean the threads."

Learn something ne everyday around here!
75 Tips

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug blow by - Is my 2N head dead? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Bruce (VA) wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:34:18 12/05/17) " Spark Plug Hole Conditioning Tool "

Interesting. I've always called them spark plug thread chasers. Hence my comment " Get a thread chaser and clean the threads."

Learn something new everyday around here!

That is more than a thread chaser - it has a (crude) spring loaded seat cutter in addition to the thread chasing section.

This is an ordinary thread chaser.

TOH

allenlane
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug blow by - Is my 2N head dead? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think Jim and Hokie have hit the nail on the head. All I need is about 1/16 to get a flush seat. Is anybody worried that I don't have enough clearance with the TDC of the piston?

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug blow by - Is my 2N head dead? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

allenlane wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:54:18 12/05/17)
I think Jim and Hokie have hit the nail on the head. All I need is about 1/16 to get a flush seat. Is anybody worried that I don't have enough clearance with the TDC of the piston?

I'm not worried. I'd say there ain't a snow ball's chance in he!! that the seat cuttor on that BG tool will remove 1/16" of cast iron Rolling Eyes

TOH

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters