Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

What can cause an 8N suddenly start smoking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Copperhead don't play
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: What can cause an 8N suddenly start smoking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

8N with front mounted distributor, suddenly started smoking badly. I only use it to bushhog weeds and small undergrowth with a 5 footbushhog in third gear. It used to only show smoke when revving it up. Now it smokes all the time. What do you think caused it to do so suddenly? And, any advice on how to repair it with out do a complete rebuild.
Thanks,

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: What can cause an 8N suddenly start smoking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Depends on what color the smoke is, black oil smoke might mean a broken or stuck oil ring. might run some ATF thru it in the gas ands see what happens, pull the spark plugs and look for an oily one. If real bad might be cheaper to replace the tractor.

Gary Mitchell
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: What can cause an 8N suddenly start smoking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My experience is that oil smoke is grey, water "smoke" is white, and fuel smoke is black. I'd go from there.

Tim PloughNman Daley
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What can cause an 8N suddenly start smoking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Peer pressure usually. ; > ) ... Where is the smoke coming from -exhaust, head, radiator, oil breather?

Tim Daley(MI)

Copperhead don't play
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: What can cause an 8N suddenly start smoking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote=" Peer pressure usually. ; > ) ... Where is the smoke coming from -exhaust, head, radiator, oil breather?

I don't get the "Peer pressure usually", it is probably over my head.
The smoke is gray comming out of the exhaust pipe. Not just when revving it up, but all the time at all RPMs. I'm also getting some from the oil breather.

Thanks to everyone who took time to reply.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: What can cause an 8N suddenly start smoking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The peer pressure comment is a joke. What usually causes a teen ager to start smoking?

Check the obvious first. Is the air cleaner cup overfilled or is the air cleaner badly clogged?

Visible gassing from the breather usually indicates blowby caused by worn sleeves/pistons/rings.

Dean

James Hill
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What can cause an 8N suddenly start smoking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you over flll the oil in the air breather recently?

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: What can cause an 8N suddenly start smoking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

James Hill probably intended to ask about the air CLEANER.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: What can cause an 8N suddenly start smoking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wonder about the definition of suddenly. From one minute to the next, one hour, one month, one season?????????? I have been dying since the day I was born over 70 years ago, but one day it will seem 'suddenly'. Rolling Eyes

HFJ
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: What can cause an 8N suddenly start smoking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i just called my russian bookies (hockey joke) and put 100 rubles down on broken ring.

ZANE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What can cause an 8N suddenly start smoking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check the oil level to see if it's over full and determine if there is gasoline in the oil. If there is that can cause lots of smoke.

Zane

520 pipefabricator
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What can cause an 8N suddenly start smoking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bad rings. The smoke coming out of the breather is the telltale there.

Grinderhead
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What can cause an 8N suddenly start smoking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How can you tell if there is gas in the oil, will it make the oil milky like water does?

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: What can cause an 8N suddenly start smoking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Copperhead don't p wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:04:36 11/29/17) 8N with front mounted distributor, suddenly started smoking badly. I only use it to bushhog weeds and small undergrowth with a 5 footbushhog in third gear. It used to only show smoke when revving it up. Now it smokes all the time. What do you think caused it to do so suddenly? And, any advice on how to repair it with out do a complete rebuild.
Thanks,

Do you live in a part of the country where water can freeze? If you got any water in the oil bath air cleaner the water will stay at the bottom of the oil cup forcing the oil up to being over filled. During warmer weather you don't notice any ill affects, because the water and oil will mix when the engine is running. Burning off a mixture of oil and water doesn't cause the engine to smoke enough where you would notice it.When the water freezes the oil stays on top causing the oil to be sucked into the engine to be burned, causing the smoke out the tailpipe. I had this happen a few times over the years when I would forget to change the oil in the air cleaner before it got cold.

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: What can cause an 8N suddenly start smoking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Grinderhead wrote:
(quoted from post at 01:37:25 12/10/17) How can you tell if there is gas in the oil, will it make the oil milky like water does?

Sniff the dip stick to see if it smells like gasoline.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters