Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

8N Sitting 20+years

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Sitting 20+years Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Where are you located - not your home
address but what is the closest Craigslist
to you? Also, do you have a way to haul a
tractor and how far would you be willing
to travel for one?
If you are contemplating spending $2-3K on
a tractor I suggest you skip the Ns all
together. You should be able to find
something like a Hundred Series Ford or
even a Thousand Series Ford that will have
Way more features than an N.
If you are patient and don't go
impulsively buy the first tractor you see
you WILL find a deal.
We could help you by pointing out some ads
in your area that look good to us.
I spend a lot of time surfing ads all over
looking for Ford stuff and would be glad
to help you. My thinking is the next best
thing to getting a deal on a tractor
myself is seeing a friend getting a deal
on one.

Tracy Brown
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Sitting 20+years Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With that kind of deal, you have everything to lose and he has everything to gain. Don't even consider it.

Dollar Bill
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Sitting 20+years Reply to specific post Reply with quote

UltraDawg gave you very sound advice.

I really liked both of my 8N's until I got an early model 4000.

Tall T
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: 8N Sitting 20+years Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mountaingoat,

My immediate reaction to your initial post was, "not me!"

The potential time and the brain drain getting it operational will not be the equivalent of "getting to use the tractor and loader."

The only arrangement I would consider is that YOU own the tractor in the end and HE gets to use your tractor. Otherwise I wouldn't touch the deal.

Different story with smaller equipment:
I resurrected my neighbors Husquvarna. I keep it tuned up and sharp and in my dry shop and every now and then he uses it a little.
The other day he used it and when he brought HIS saw back to my shop I said, "Thanks for bringing my saw back." He said, "Thanks for letting me use it." Very Happy

T

Copperhead don't play
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Sitting 20+years Reply to specific post Reply with quote

\ MountainGoat, If you are like me you will receive great pleasure in the challenge of getting it started and running. Then and after then; you could look at other possibilities.

Just be patient with soaking the rings with (your choice of fluid) and priming the oil pump and then turning the motor over with out the plugs installed.
You do not have to own it for the challenge of starting it.
Have fun.

MountainGoat
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Sitting 20+years Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My neighbor is a good guy. Known him for the past 20 years. Very upstanding. I am going to pass on getting this thing completely back, though I would like to assess it's condition and at least stop any further decay as much as possible. I live around Raleigh NC. I have been looking at the 600/800, and the 2000/4000 series for the past few months. Also Kabotas, Longs, Yanmar, Olivers and Masseys and Case/IH. Seems those have some part supply issues with certain older models. What can I say? I already own two 67 Mustangs and a 69 F350 dump truck, so another Ford on the lot would be amongst friends. There's a couple of good looking 600/800's on the list. I always check the 'include nearby' so that includes East TN, most of Virginia and SC as well as all of NC. I would burn up a weekend retrieving the right machine. Needs to be minimal on the project aspect to keep SWMBO happy. I completely understand anything with age on it is by definition a project. I just can't be splitting it in half the same day I get it. Or the same year for that matter. My first vehicle that I bought was a 53 Chevy pickup so I cut my teeth on bringing things back from the dead in the mid 80's. Oh, and I'm not swayed by pretty paint. SWMBO would like that, but I want it to run great so I can get to work. The work: Doing a mesa project on the back forty (really just an acre) thus the need for a loader and I have been doing a bunch of stone walls so being able to unload a pallet of stone as a unit would be great and well appreciated by my back.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N Sitting 20+years Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What your time is worth is your call it may be worth the fun dunno... I can tell you the best parts tractor I have brought had been sitting to 20 years most of the normal ware parts looked as good as new. A loader beats the ell out of the front end its probably junk. Normally a loader tractor does not see the ware from the engine back you normal see because with a loader that's about all it was used for was loader work... I would figure the loader is junk if the loader is what you are after its not worth your time...

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters