Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

A trip to where corn don't grow

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: A trip to where corn don't grow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tomorrow I am going to Fairbanks Alaska to view the Northern Lights,,normally when I go on a Trip I try to visit some YT'ers..but it's not likely this time Darn it.. I will be Flying in and out so there will be no side trips,,Google states the drive time to be 67 hours,, I would be up for that.. but the Wife says no...

3020G
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: A trip to where corn don't grow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wonder if there's any corn planted in that state that is actually for "Row Crop" type production.

Hendrik
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: A trip to where corn don't grow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like a fantastic trip.
Do not know of any YTer calling home there. However, on Red Power magazine there is member AKwelder.
Look at the YT member map (link attached). Zoom out or in as needed.
YT Member map

erskine2017
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: A trip to where corn don't grow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tim, you have such an incredible knowledge of Deere Tractors. I was hoping that you would be teaching a class at Gathering of the Green in March. Thanks for sharing your wealth of information!

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: A trip to where corn don't grow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My cousin is part owner of the JD A that made the driving trip to Alaska and back. I think this trip was in the 1990's ? I just bet if you ask nice enough they may just let you take it !

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: A trip to where corn don't grow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't think there are any row crops planted in the state,,and Fairbanks is way up there..I have read about truck patch gardens in the lower part of the state,,and that looks iffy...the day light is only 4 hours long at this time of the year.. The farthest North I have been is Calgary Alberta for the Stampede Rodeo and I liked the drive up through Alberta,,and hope to go back there some time..

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: A trip to where corn don't grow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That 64 hour drive time would be a bit longer on a 12 mph A...

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: A trip to where corn don't grow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Saw the PBS special recently about the Northern Lights, I'm sure it's much more amazing in person. Enjoy your trip!

John Eatwell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: A trip to where corn don't grow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Was on a bus between Tok and Fairbanks three years ago. Saw something coming down the highway. It was a big New Holland hay swather. Started looking beyond the trees along the highway and saw fields that appeared to be small grains. I saw some cattle so had to have hay. There were small grain bins at building sites. I didn't think there was any agriculture there either but must be some. I know there is cattle north of Anchorage along the rail line going to Fairbanks so must raise some type of feed foe them

John Deere D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: A trip to where corn don't grow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Enjoy your adventure Sir:

My wife (Lois) and I were in Fairbanks on the 50 th Anniversary of Alaska Joining the Union:

Pioneer Park in Fairbanks.....Tractor related:

Bob....Summer home...Dawson Creek Canada..Southern Terminus of the Alcan / Alaska Highway

Dave H
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: A trip to where corn don't grow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Enjoy the trip Tim. Those norther lights dancing in the sky are one of a kind site.

Going to skip this spring trip up there in June. First time in 4 years running. happened to catch a scrawny 87 lb halibut out of Seward this June.

J. Schwiebert
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: A trip to where corn don't grow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There was a guy on here a couple of years ago from there asking some questions on setting his John Deere combine for oats.

centash
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: A trip to where corn don't grow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We hope to drive up through there next summer
Ben

Dan in Ohio
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: A trip to where corn don't grow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Enjoy the show Tim.

akdna1947
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: A trip to where corn don't grow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If any of you come by Soldotna on the Kenai Peninsula, give me a hollar

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters