Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Wide front casting SC

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Wide front casting SC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do any of you Case guys know where I can find this big casting for an SC wide front? I'm out of aces. Been calling salvages, checking CL and eBay. It's the part that's broken and welded in the pic. The owner of this tractor is willing to spend some money on it. As I understand I could have a casting from a narrow front cut down and machined but I'm trying this route first. I did see a DC with wide front sitting in the weeds advertised for scrap price so if I could find a complete SC in the same condition I could go that way. I'm in Northwest Iowa. I wish I would have known about this during the Albert City show. I live four miles away from the show site!

55 50 Ron
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Wide front casting SC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you try Don at Rusty Acre? 507-433-0073 Near Austin, MN

DKase
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Wide front casting SC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One from a narrow front will work with a little work. Cut it off and have a machine shop bore the center out. Worked on mine 30 years ago.

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Wide front casting SC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-55 50 ron wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:59:56 12/04/17) Did you try Don at Rusty Acre? 507-433-0073 Near Austin, MN

Yes I called him. Thanks anyway.

tomturkey
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide front casting SC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

did that tractor happen to sell at the Albert City Auction? Seems as if I saw one sell that looked very similar. gobble

tomturkey
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide front casting SC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DC wide front on CL Des Moines, don't know if that would help...just fyi gobble

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide front casting SC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-tomturkey wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:52:27 12/04/17) did that tractor happen to sell at the Albert City Auction? Seems as if I saw one sell that looked very similar. gobble

That’s the one. Purrs like a kitten and pops off first time over. Sweet tractor that needs a few odds and ends done like all old tractors do. This front end is the biggest job he wants me to do. There are a few drips here and there to be addressed but nothing major. The clutch linkage is very worn so will be doing some building up and bushing to get the clutch travel back to like new specs. When I fired it up today the genny squawked like a trapped chicken so some new bearings are headed that way. Should have the front end off early tomorrow morn, then the search continues.

ralph.meyer
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide front casting SC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-55 50 ron wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:59:56 12/04/17) Did you try Don at Rusty Acre? 507-433-0073 Near Austin, MN

I have a "parts" wide front for an SC will check tomorrow to verify condition. These were a notoriously weak set up. The few I have seen were either broke or welded and heavily reinforced. I am out in Oregon . But we can figure out shipping if the one I have is OK.
Ralph @ 503 631 8888 I need 4 power cells for a 400.

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Wide front casting SC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ralph that would be great. Thanks.

casecollectorsc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Wide front casting SC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A few drops of oil in the drip cups may end the belt squeal and stiff bearings. The rear one is a bushing as I'm sure you know.

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Wide front casting SC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would braze the crack to repair it, after it was removed and cleaned up. You will have to grind the crack with a angle grinder. About 3/8" wide and around 3/8" deep. then fill it up with brass rod. Just make sure you have a large enough puddle to mix the brass into the cast iron. You can use 1/8" rod that is coated with flux, or buy larger rod and a can of flux. If you can not maintain a large puddle use a larger brazing tip on you torch. I've seen things like your SC bolster arc welded and break, then brazed and never give any more trouble.

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Wide front casting SC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I need to add a few things. Drill a 1/8" hole at the end of the crack, otherwise you'll be chasing it all the way around the casting. Plus, If you have never brazed or gas welded before you'll have to aim the flame down the crack, and add the brass to the puddle as you move down along the crack. Keep the tip of your rod close to the flame as you go. Just far enough, so it doesn't melt when you're not ready to add the brass to the puddle, but close enough to keep the end of the rod warm, so when you move it to the puddle it will melt right away and mix into you puddle. Make you move the flame in a circular motion as you go along. It mixes the two metals much better.

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Wide front casting SC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-casecollectorsc wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:53:31 12/05/17) A few drops of oil in the drip cups may end the belt squeal and stiff bearings. The rear one is a bushing as I'm sure you know.

I might just pull the genny apart as easy as it is to work on. When I fired it up yesterday it was in a cold machine shed and being cold makes it worse of course. It would squawk when my back was turned but as soon as I spun around to see where the noise was coming from it would quit. I'd stand there and stare at the genny but it wouldn't make a sound till I turned my back on it. When I finally was watching while it acted up the genny vibrated pretty good. Anyway , it's on the list.

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Wide front casting SC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

L.Fure wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:09:38 12/05/17)
I would braze the crack to repair it, after it was removed and cleaned up. You will have to grind the crack with a angle grinder. About 3/8" wide and around 3/8" deep. then fill it up with brass rod. Just make sure you have a large enough puddle to mix the brass into the cast iron. You can use 1/8" rod that is coated with flux, or buy larger rod and a can of flux. If you can not maintain a large puddle use a larger brazing tip on you torch. I've seen things like your SC bolster arc welded and break, then brazed and never give any more trouble.

I have done some brazing throughout the years but never enough to get proficient at it. By the way it sounds you are much better at it than I am. If it comes to having it brazed I will probably take it to someone who knows more about brazing something like this. Removing this casting is a piece of cake once the rad is off.

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Wide front casting SC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

fixerupper wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:22:35 12/05/17)
L.Fure wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:09:38 12/05/17)

I have done some brazing throughout the years but never enough to get proficient at it. By the way it sounds you are much better at it than I am. If it comes to having it brazed I will probably take it to someone who knows more about brazing something like this. Removing this casting is a piece of cake once the rad is off.

If you take it somewhere they'll most likely want to arc weld it. Brazing repairers are getting few and far between. If you have done some brazing you will most likely know more about it than most welding shops. A lot of people think brazing is some sort of soldering process. It's not though. Brazing is a process in which two metals are melted and mixed together.

In my area a young man started up his own welding/fabricating shop. He bought a very large sheet metal brake, this was for bending thick sheets of steel for fabricating purposes. It was quite an old piece of equipment that used hydraulics to do the actual bending. It also had a welded repair done on a crucial part. It wasn't long before the weld broke, so he took it apart and prepared it for a better weld than was on it, so he thought. An older gentleman, with a lot more experience in this sort of thing suggested that he braze the parts together, because the bronze would take more shock than a weld would, being that the weld would be too brittle for that application. The shop owner just shook his head and welded it. Of course it broke again, then a second time after another weld. He made good welds using about 2lbs of rod. The weld was about 5" wide and about 3" deep, it was a big piece he was working with. Anyway, he gave up and had the older man braze it together. It was successfully brazed together and has been that way for several years.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters