Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Wide front casting SC

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Wide front casting SC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have all seen brazing done 50-75 or 100 years ago on old mowers etc that is still holding so it does work in the right hands. I just might give it a whirl. I have a hunch the owner does not want a repaired piece up there, rather a new looking piece and if that is the way he wants to go I will do it that way and keep the old brazed up piece. How much pre heating do you recommend?

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide front casting SC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have three Sc's with wide front,, and had another one that lived its life with loader on it,, none have broken,, my DC also has a WF and has lived its life on a loader as well, betting it is more abuse than a design flaw
cnt

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide front casting SC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Case Nutty 1660 wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:00:54 12/05/17) I have three Sc's with wide front,, and had another one that lived its life with loader on it,, none have broken,, my DC also has a WF and has lived its life on a loader as well, betting it is more abuse than a design flaw
cnt

That makes me feel better about just brazing it and getting it over with. I have it apart and cleaned up and Veed out. Might braze it tomorrow but I have to check to make sure I have enough rods. I ground out quite a bit of material as it was a meandering crack. As soon as I figure out how to wring a picture out of the cell phone I will post a pic for the approval of the welding/brazing experts.

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide front casting SC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

fixerupper wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:03:01 12/05/17)
(quoted from post at 15:00:54 12/05/17) I have three Sc's with wide front,, and had another one that lived its life with loader on it,, none have broken,, my DC also has a WF and has lived its life on a loader as well, betting it is more abuse than a design flaw
cnt

That makes me feel better about just brazing it and getting it over with. I have it apart and cleaned up and Veed out. Might braze it tomorrow but I have to check to make sure I have enough rods. I ground out quite a bit of material as it was a meandering crack. As soon as I figure out how to wring a picture out of the cell phone I will post a pic for the approval of the welding/brazing experts.

OK, here's a pic or two

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide front casting SC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

fixerupper wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:27:32 12/05/17) We have all seen brazing done 50-75 or 100 years ago on old mowers etc that is still holding so it does work in the right hands. I just might give it a whirl. I have a hunch the owner does not want a repaired piece up there, rather a new looking piece and if that is the way he wants to go I will do it that way and keep the old brazed up piece. How much pre heating do you recommend?

If you file the repair, and sand it smooth before you paint it you will never know it was repaired. As for preheating I really don't have a definitive answer for you. You will have to warm up the crack a few inches at a time before you concentrate your flame to start your puddle. If you move the flame forward down the crack while you're adding in the brass, an inch or two of the area ahead of your puddle will preheat as you go along. Angling the flame forward a little will help preheat where you will be laying the brass. After you get a couple of inches brazed, you might have to warm up a few inches ahead, then go back to laying the brass. You'll just have to keep the flame moving all through the process. Be sure to wear eye protection while doing this. You might add the brass before you have a good puddle, and the beads of melted brass will explode. Spattering little bits of hot brass all over, including your face. So don't rush it. Brazing cast iron is getting to be a lost art. Anyone that wants to do their own repairs should learn how to braze. It may come in handy in the future.

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide front casting SC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

fixerupper wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:10:01 12/05/17)
fixerupper wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:03:01 12/05/17)
cnt

OK, here's a pic or two

Here's the crack ground out. The depth doesn't show up in the picture but it's about 3/8" deep. The casting is 1/2" thick. The other fix is welding and is holding but it isn't Veed out very far, maybe 1/8". I got a little carried away and off course with the grinding.

ralph.meyer
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide front casting SC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-55 50 ron wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:59:56 12/04/17) Did you try Don at Rusty Acre? 507-433-0073 Near Austin, MN

Checked both my parts front as well as the complete wide front SC in my collection. Both are broken . The parts one is not so bad as yours but is cracked from the side like yours to to center in the front and is welded. Probably not worth the freight to get it to you .
DC fronts are much heavier and probably don't fit but I have one.

ralph.meyer
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide front casting SC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If I was to repair this, after welding/ brazing I would grind the welds down to the original then make a ring of 3/8 or 1/2 steel with an ID to match the OD of the repaired casting to encircle as much the lower part of the casting as possible then weld that around. Then that would fix it for once and for all.

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide front casting SC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to look Ralph. I could get hold of a complete DC with wide front for an advertised $400 but a DC is a different animal and besides I would have to travel 150 miles to get it.

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide front casting SC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You'll have to get the v-notch over the crack better than you have it. Are you sure the previous repair is a arc weld. Looks like a brazing job to me. Do remember to drill a 1/8" hole at the very end of the crack. Otherwise the crack will continue beyond where you will be heading it. Maybe you better get larger than 1/8" brazing rod and a can of flux. You have quite a large area to fill in. Keep us posted on your progress.

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide front casting SC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ya, I ground it out pretty wide. Wasn't paying close enough attention to where the crack went. I did some grinding on the previous fix and it was silver colored instead of bronze. Here's a pic of the inside of the bore.

The straight line crack is the previous crack the diagonal crack is the one I am working on. After looking at this picture the top of the diagonal crack goes along ways around the bore at the top. It doesn't show that much on the outside.

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Wide front casting SC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

See if you can clean the grease out of the crack. Brake cleaner and a wire brush should help. The flux on the brazing rod should keep any left over grease out of the bronze.

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Wide front casting SC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a cast front wheel of a model "S" tractor that had been broken many years ago and they had it brazed,, MAN the guy who did it was a artist for sure at brazing,, if I can get to it and get a pic I will it shows how it can be done,, I can braze but nothing like this job was done,, like you say its becoming a lost art today
cnt

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Wide front casting SC Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One more thing to add. If you do decide to file the bronze to smooth it out before painting, you should chalk your file before you use the file. Chalking a file involves working chalk into the grooves of the file. It keeps the bronze material from packing into the bottom of the grooves making it impossible to clean the file with a file card. Don't fill the grooves completely with chalk, just file the piece of chalk you use lightly so the bottom of the grooves have some chalk in it. Clean the file often, and apply more chalk as you're filing your repair. Just a little something I learned in the course of watch repair.

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Well, here it is Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's the brazing job. Craters of the moon.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters