Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1655 Transmission noise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JBR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: 1655 Transmission noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello we have two 1655 tractors both with three speeds and one is a gas and one is a diesel. Problem I am having is both of them are making a weird grinding noise when you are backing down a hill and the engine is doing the braking. It sounds like the drive chain is hitting something but it isn't. Has anyone had a issue like this before? I can't believe both of these tractors are doing the same thing. The gas has a pretty loose chain and sprocket the diesel is brand new. Thanks for any input.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1655 Transmission noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And it's not coming from the brakes? That's my first thought,that maybe there's a lot of dust in them and they're trying to set up the actuator while backing up but not going forward.

JBR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1655 Transmission noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have checked on the gas tractor and that is not the noise. When it does this noise it actually vibrates the platform.

chucksoliver77
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1655 Transmission noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think the nut that holds the pinion gear in place has backed off and the pinion gear is hitting the carrier. Take the front cover off and tighten the nut and it should be good to go.

JBR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1655 Transmission noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do the 1655's have that front cover and if that is the problem
does it break anything.

chucksoliver77
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1655 Transmission noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

there is a cover right under the chain coupler that you remove to tighten the nut, yes it will cause damage if not tightened. you could chip the ring or pinion gear when backing up under load.

J. Schwiebert
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1655 Transmission noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

HOW big or long is your hill? I Would tie the 2 tractors together and shut the engine off and put it in neutral and let the tractor in front of it let it down the hill doing the brakeing. I would also drain the oil out of the rear end and see if there are metal parts in there like broken needle bearings. Have you changed the transmission oil filters to see what is in side the filters to start with. Can you jack up each rear wheel and turn the wheel in reverse and detect any viberateion or do it with the engine running and the transmission in reverse?

JBR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1655 Transmission noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I changed oil in both along with filters they both had water in them and didn't really have anything in the bottom I am going to pull that cover off and check the pinion nut just to make sure it is tight. The only way I can get it to do it is backing down a incline in reverse and the engine is slowing the tractor down. Which I would think should be pushing the pinion back against the ring gear but I'm still gonna check it.

JBR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1655 Transmission noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It has to be on a decent incline.

chucksoliver77
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1655 Transmission noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It will feel tight, you have someone rock the tractor while in gear, engine off and see if the shaft moves in and out

JBR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1655 Transmission noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I will check it this evening that doesn't have any kind of crush
sleeve on it I'm guessing just a lock nut?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters