Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

ford 642

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: ford 642 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bought a used brush hog from them a few years ago, good people, I've known them since they were kids, did a little business with their dad.

Although they have and sell a little bit of everything, they specialize in used combines and parts.

I don't own a combine, so we don't do a lot of dealing with them.

2fordguys
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: ford 642 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

2008 is a gear drive i have green 15 flex head on that one

Brent Blocker
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 642 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have a very good extra 20ft green claas head as we have some larger claas 116 & 228,we have several heads including 25' which we use the most on 116, if you would care to send me your email, that way we would have it, we are in northern Indiana,if we decide to sell it we could let you know, my email is listed

Haley
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 642 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Man it seems like it has been forever since i posted in this forum! I could not pass up the chance to add to a 642 Ford thread. 2fordguys i really hope you have great luck with your 642's.I made a good living for years with mine but it was not always easy.What i found out very early on is that you BETTER have a parts machine to go with your good one. As you know by now nothing on a 642 is normal American stuff. Bearings are metric,chains are metric,hydraulic hoses are British,and even fuses and bulbs are different.I still have nine(two running machines) but i am patiently waiting on scrap price to go back up a little and then they will probably be gone. I plan to keep one running one and a parts combine.I still have a bunch of corn and grain heads as well as several motors.I know this is not the "for sale" forum so administration if this is not allowed please delete. I still have a 20' rigid grain head that I completely rebuilt a few years ago that i would be willing to sell as well as a 20' Claas true flex head off of a newer Dominator(Fits right on the Fords). I also have a 6 row 30" corn head that I will sell. I really hate for these heads to go for scrap and would be willing to make someone a HECK of a deal if they are seriously interested. I also have a complete Ghilcrest 4 whheel drive kit that i will sell.It was made for the 642 hydrostatic combines. For at least ten years of my life i spent each day either running a 642 or working on them getting them ready to go again. The last five years i custom cut we ran my two over a minimum of 2000 acres a year and sometimes more than that. For todays combines that was a drop in the well but for my two old beaters it was a tall feat! I know them like the back of my hand so if you ever need help please dont hesitate to ask.

2fordguys
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: ford 642 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Haley
I would be a cash buyer for all of your parts what part of the country are you located at

Haley
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: ford 642 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Eastman Ga. Pretty close to the middle of the state.

Brent Blocker
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: ford 642 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Haley;
Sound like you have been around Ford / claas combines for years, we to have had Ford combines for years, dad had Ford/ oliver 611, brother has Ford 640 combine which was made prior to 642,I have a 642 that I bought with 300 hours with bad engine,and like you know ever part of machine have used it since 1982 and still use it some every year,always good to chat with someone else that has had a lot of experience with Ford/claas combine.My brother is needing some parts for his 640 Ford Combine would you have any or know of any for parts for it,we are located in northern. My email is listed if you want to contact me

2fordguys
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 642 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Haley I?ll be in south ga mid January if you will email me I?ll try to buy it all email in link

2fordguys
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 642 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

bluegrasstrailermfg@yahoo.com

tractorguy2
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 642 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Back in the 70's the guy that owned the welding shop in town got the bright idea to start custom harvesting. He bought two Ford 642 combines. They had 20 or 24ft platforms and six row corn heads. They were the very first six row machines around here. Most were still using two and three row machines.

I can only remember once when both combines were running at the same time. They were lucky to keep one running.

About 1984 the banker auctioned off their equipment and their welding shop. All the farmers in town said the Ford combines are what ruined them.

Haley
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: ford 642 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I sent you an e mail. Did you get it?

Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: ford 642 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't think the color of the combines had much to do with their down fall.
In the 70's Crop Production Association (a government lending service) was telling farmers to buy equipment, land. Prices were up and interest was down, several farmers bought into it buying new tractors, combines, tillage equipment, land or cash renting more crop land.
Then the agricultural crisis hit in the 80's, grain prices bottomed out, interest rates jumped, farmers couldn't make their payments.
Several PCA's in our area failed taking farmers with them.
I know a number of good hard working farmers that lost everything because they listened to the lenders.
My brother just about took us under, took a long time and public jobs to get back to where we was.

Dugger
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 642 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="Destroked 450"](reply to post at 13:12:41 12/17/17) [/quote]

I couldn’t have said it better destroked
Dugger

BigIron_EastKS
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 642 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello "2fordguys"! I came across this thread as I am trying to do a little research on the Ford 642. I am about to list 4 of them on an auction in the near future--there really are 4 of them in one place, and they are all running! However I am struggling to find consistent information about them online. It sounds like you know them inside and out! Also "hayley" and "Dugger" also seem pretty knowledgeable on this combine. Would any of you be willing to help me out?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters