Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

800 Ford with pie weights tire pressure

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
riveroadrat
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: 800 Ford with pie weights tire pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 800 Ford loader with The smaller set of pie weights and 16.9x24 tires loaded with water to the stem at top of wheel. I am going to install the factory rear weight box full of concrete on the factory backhoe mounts. Does anyone know what tire pressure I need for that amount of weight? I have no idea what the weight box weighs. Tires are 8 ply rated. Is it better to have them stand up some as opposed to looking like they are sqautting. Could I have too much water in them for the load?

Jimmyjack
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 Ford with pie weights tire pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would think 12 to 14 pounds would be enough?

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 Ford with pie weights tire pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have never seen a tire pressure connected to "squat".

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 Ford with pie weights tire pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

14-16 PSIG sounds about right considering all of the added weight.

Dean

Fordfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: 800 Ford with pie weights tire pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tire shop manager told me that a rule of thumb for bias rear tractor tires was take the first two digits of the tire size(16, in this case) and add two. 18 psi in 16.9 bias tires will work well in most situations.

riveroadrat
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: 800 Ford with pie weights tire pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JMOR wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:52:53 12/06/17) I have never seen a tire pressure connected to "squat".
After reading my post that looks kind of like the difference between a man and a woman. ------- Is it better to have them stand up some as opposed to looking like they are sqautting. Could I have too much water in them for the load?

Fordfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: 800 Ford with pie weights tire pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've never heard of there being too much fluid (water)
for a given load. You're still putting air in it to get to
whatever psi you decide to run, just that the air is a
smaller volume.
My 4600 ( my loader tractor) has 16.9x30's with
fluid. When I'm moving round bales, there's normally
one on the 3-point forks as well as the loader. I run
18 psi in them.
You want the full face of the tread to touch the
ground to get traction, but bias tires don't last if the
sidewalls have to flex all the time.

Fordfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 800 Ford with pie weights tire pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I looked in my 26/36/41/4600 owner's manual. It
doesn't say anything about different pressure for dry
vs. loaded tires, only more pressure for more weight
capacity. It listed 12psi as the minimum pressure
for 16.9x24's, and 22psi as the maximum. I don't
remember the exact numbers, but 12 psi was good
for about 3000 pounds, and 18 psi gave about 4200
pounds of capacity. (Including liquid balast)

riveroadrat
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 800 Ford with pie weights tire pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, I'll see how they look after I put that box on the back.

Shetland Sheepdog
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 Ford with pie weights tire pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fordfarmer nailed it!
Forget the tire gauge!
Park tractor on smooth hard flat surface, and inflate or deflate until outer end of bottom lug just touches surface.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 Ford with pie weights tire pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JMOR wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:52:53 12/05/17) I have never seen a tire pressure connected to "squat".

I have ALWAYS seen tire pressure connected to squat. It takes "squat" to being the outer end of the lug down onto the ground as Shetland Sheepdog says you want.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 Ford with pie weights tire pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

showcrop wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:10:56 12/06/17)
JMOR wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:52:53 12/05/17) I have never seen a tire pressure connected to "squat".

I have ALWAYS seen tire pressure connected to squat. It takes "squat" to being the outer end of the lug down onto the ground as Shetland Sheepdog says you want.
Well, so be it, but I have a number of tractor manuals & they only reference PSI.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 800 Ford with pie weights tire pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe for all of us, you should copy one or two or more if you like that references "squat".

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: 800 Ford with pie weights tire pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JMOR wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:25:59 12/06/17) Maybe for all of us, you should copy one or two or more if you like that references "squat".

OK JMOR, to start with Fordfarmer and Shetland sheep dog, and Adam at GCR tire in Manchester NH. I will try to keep thinking about this as there have been many many over the years. I will write them down as I think of them and post back. You see JMOR, PSI for given weight is only a good starting point. Given that one can never really know what the total of different types of ballast and mounted tools may be, the most effective means is to go with a performance based evaluation which is what it takes to get the tire to the desired footprint, which will be determined by the amount of "squat". I hope that this helps you to understand.

Shetland Sheepdog
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: 800 Ford with pie weights tire pressure Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One more thought!
It ain't "rocket science"!
You're looking for a "happy medium".
Just get it where the "squat" is right for the normal loading!
As Showcrop says, you will never know the exact loading, and it will be constantly changing anyway!
In other words, if it looks half flat, add air!
If it looks like the outer end of the bottom lugs are an inch off the ground, let some air out!
JMHO, HTH, Dave

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters