Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Air Rifle (not BB Gun) for 6 year old

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nrowles
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Air Rifle (not BB Gun) for 6 year old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I want to get my 6 year old daughter an air rifle for Christmas. It seems like most BB Guns nowadays are junk from the reviews I read. Although she is young and learning, an inaccurate gun is not something I'm interested in. It seems like a lot of these newer style 1200 fps air rifles with a spring action are the way to go. They get very good reviews and are capable of taking varmints. My only concern is they say they have some recoil. While she is a tough country girl, she is still only 6. What is the recoil like on one of these for a 6 year old? What opinions do you have? I'm not interested in any lectures on letting a 6 years old use firearms. This will be a strictly controlled environment.

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Air Rifle (not BB Gun) for 6 year old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My opinion is the effect will be so minimal that she won't even notice it at all.

1946 BN IHC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Air Rifle (not BB Gun) for 6 year old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't recall the recoil figures for air riffles WHAT I would suggest is to go to a repritable Gun shop; one who has been business for a long
time ;maybe a family type business; seek out their expertise then also buy from them.
Also teach gun safety or find a good gun safety teacher in your local.
Merry Christmas to all!

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Air Rifle (not BB Gun) for 6 year old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I remember many years ago someone telling me to hold their BB gun against my nose and pull the trigger, it had more recoil than I expected!

WAYNE-N-TX
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Air Rifle (not BB Gun) for 6 year old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a spring type rifle that uses BB's or pellets. I have killed squirrels with it using pellets. I haven't noticed any recoil, not saying there's none, just not enough worry with.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Air Rifle (not BB Gun) for 6 year old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The closest thing I have to something like that is a pump up Crossman that you can shoot bb's and pellets. I got the one with the rifled barrel. Shoots pellets nice. Pain to have to keep pumping up though. Nothing worse than shooting a bb gun where you can see the bb's flying and with each shot they go a different direction !
Even a .22 would be fine and you can buy reduced velocity ammo for them.
Start them out young ! and teach them safety. I got on my kids to not even point the toy guns at people ! I know someone who came VERY close to loosing an eye from a nerf gun !

Sprint 6
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Air Rifle (not BB Gun) for 6 year old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Ruger Air Hawk. Pretty accurate
for a $90 air gun, but might be a little big
for a 6 year old. It is also fairly loud
for an air rifle, if you have whiner
neighbors. Another option is a youth size
22lr. I would recommend a Savage Rascal in
that category, as I have one. Very light
and is a tack driver. With shorts or Aguila
Colibri rounds, it is quieter than the
Ruger. In fact, with Colibri rounds, all
you hear is the hammer. The Rascal is a bit
pricier than a Cricket, but is self cocking
when the bolt is cycled. Cocking a Cricket
is an extra step, and they can be stiff for
smaller kids.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Air Rifle (not BB Gun) for 6 year old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Giving you a place to see when you want the pinical of performance.
These guys in England sure like to rat and Squirrel hunt. Also
consider the different calibers available. I had no idae 5hey have
22cal air rifles. Deadly stuff for sure.
English rat hunt.

psimmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Air Rifle (not BB Gun) for 6 year old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I also have a Ruger Air Hawk. I don't think recoil would be an issue for her. I do think it would be too heavy, and don't think she would be able to cock it. My slightly built 12 year old grandson is very
accurate with it, but can't quite cock it yet. I have killed several squirrels with it, and a very curious crow. With the right pellets, it is accurate and deadly.

jdv
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Air Rifle (not BB Gun) for 6 year old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a Ruger for my son several years ago with
the single break action and something like 12-1400
FPS. It is pretty hard to cock and it weighs close to
7lbs, I would not recommend it for a beginner. I
would start with a more youth oriented gun even if it
is just a red rider, then graduate up to something in
her ability range. Nothing more frustrating to
youngster than to not be able to operate it correctly-
she wants to make you proud! That gives you an
excuse to go back and do more gun shopping when
she outgrows it, I?m sure she?ll have a birthday
coming up....

grizz02
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Air Rifle (not BB Gun) for 6 year old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I need to buy a small rifle to shoot woodpeckers in the spring I have been using 410. would a .22 with bird shot work? it would be quieter then the 410. thanks

SodBuster87
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Air Rifle (not BB Gun) for 6 year old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Actualy those $50 pump up bb/pellet rifles walmart sells are surprisely accurate for the money. Obviously not a Beeman or Benjamin or something like that but still a decent gun. Just watch out because the crown of the barrel is plastic. DONT OVER PUMP THEM. But use them like the instructions say ane they are an okay gun. Next step up would be a Benjamin pump up. They run about $200 last I checked( been quite awhile since I checked though so price is probably has gone up). But a realy well loved and durable gun. I would avoid the spring guns for a kid as recoil requires skill to be accurate. Pump up also can vary the power down range

mmfan55
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Air Rifle (not BB Gun) for 6 year old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have both a crossman .22 cal. CO2
powered pellet rifle and pistol. Very
accurate and shoot hard. No pumping.
Just load and cock. May be a little
difficult for a youngster to cock but
maybe no more difficult than pumping
the air model. Just have to shoot
until the gas tube is empty or it
will leak out over several days.

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Air Rifle (not BB Gun) for 6 year old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For my son's 6th birthday I bought him and me each a Daisy BB gun. We countless hours 'playing',shooting targets,cans...... he learned the fundamentals of gun safety. The Daisy guns were plenty accuret for the short range we ere shooting. We could could even practice in the shop in winter.He got to where he could out shootme! LOL. his was completely worn out. I still have mine in the shop where I still shoot from time to time. Get the Daisy. One for her,one for you. Money well spent.Time together,priceless.

Ivan in Mich
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Rifle (not BB Gun) for 6 year old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a spring loaded one it shoots 1200 FPS and there is very little recoil. It will hoot a
pellet thru a 3/4 inch board at 50 yards. I got the .177 but get the 22 cal one if you intend on
hunting. I have shot coon with mine and one wood chuck but they go for a ways

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters