Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Air Rifle (not BB Gun) for 6 year old

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Two Dogs
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Rifle (not BB Gun) for 6 year old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

FWIW I agree with Delta Red. An ordinary lever action BB gun.

Bob in SD
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Rifle (not BB Gun) for 6 year old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A second this, for a n 8 year old. They may have trouble cocking the spring on a spring air rifle. It's probably different the last few years, but for awhile Walmart .22 lr was cheaper than the quality pellets for the real air rifles. Unless you live in town the .22 is a better option at that point.

Dave Sherburne, NY
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Rifle (not BB Gun) for 6 year old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 22 cal. Gamo air rifle with a scope. You cock it once for every pellet fired. I don't think a 6yr old could cock it. It's very accurate I use it on chipmunks and red squirrels, they like to get in the house in the winter. Haven't seen a chipmunk all summer. Supposed to be close to the same muzzle velocity as a 22 rifle. It's whisper quiet. and costs $200

wilson ind
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Rifle (not BB Gun) for 6 year old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It just ha.s to be said. yOU WILL SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT Ok no joke good idea for your little girl.

oliverplow
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Rifle (not BB Gun) for 6 year old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a pellet gun I keep in my barn. No, a 6 year old girl would not be able to cock it. I think a 12 year old would have her hands full with it. I
shot a coon with it a month ago, hit it in shoulder, it ran 15 feet, rolled around for ten seconds and died. Not really a toy?

nrowles
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Rifle (not BB Gun) for 6 year old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This wasn't something I was expecting her to be able to operate on her own. I was going to get it ready for her to shoot. At any rate, I already have a cricket that my grandfather bought me when I was a kid. I told her about a month ago it is for her. She's asked me a few times now when she can shoot it. I believe since I have the cricket, I may just get the red rider to see how it works for her. They're only $30. If we want to do more than the plinkin I can get the cricket out.

Andy Martin
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Rifle (not BB Gun) for 6 year old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-grizz02 wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:33:17 12/06/17) I need to buy a small rifle to shoot woodpeckers in the spring I have been using 410. would a .22 with bird shot work? it would be quieter then the 410. thanks

Since woodpeckers are a protected species you might want to remind everyone that you have a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service since someone else may see your post and risk significant fines and incarceration for breaking Federal law by not having a lethal permit. I'm surprised you have a permit, they are very rarely issued.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/help/questions/27/Can+I+legally+kill+such+protected+wildlife+as+woodpeckers%2C+swallows%2C+owls%2C+or+robins+if+they+are+causing+damage+to+my+house%3F

BushogPapa
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Rifle (not BB Gun) for 6 year old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My new .177 pellet gun came with a junk scope..I put a Weaver 40MM 3-9 scope on it and it is deadly accurate at least out past 50 yards..

I mean, less than a 1" group at 50 yds...

I would say it would take out groundhogs and maybe even a Fox...

problem with it and a 6 year old would be that it takes all I can do to cock that thing (Bear Mountain 1,200 fps).

I got it to rid the Cemetery of Groundhogs..

blue_tractor_man
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Rifle (not BB Gun) for 6 year old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm a 4H BB and air rifle coach. Daisy makes
a very accurate BB rifle for about $120. It
will put every BB through one hole at 5
meters. You can shoot it indoors at a box
full of newspaper. I recommend taking her to
an organized weekly club. Kids love to
compete. At about 13 she will move up to
Sporter class with a C02 or compressed air
rifle. Then to Precision class then off to
college and the Olympics. Females generally
outshoot males.
Please be aware that springer pellet guns
beed a scope designed for that purpose. The
recoil is reverse that of a rifle. The
backwards recoil will ruin the wrong scope
over time.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Rifle (not BB Gun) for 6 year old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My daughter started out at 9 years old on a .177 pellet rifle and with in a year she was shooting a .22 cal. Ruger 77-22. After using the 77-22 for a short
time she didn't want anything to do with the air rifle. Today at the age of 35 her and her husband go to range with their 9 mm and 380 pistols.

GordoSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Air Rifle (not BB Gun) for 6 year old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

.22 birdshot is lethal on birds up to 10 ft. Not much more.16-18 if you happen to have old Remington smoothbore rifle.

mj
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Rifle (not BB Gun) for 6 year old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pretty sure she will handle it without a problem; not much there at all! Smile

GeneMO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Rifle (not BB Gun) for 6 year old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My Benjamin .22 air rifle is pump, 1970 era. It has killed squirrels, possums and coons. No noticeable recoil. Walnut stock. Don't make em like they use to.

Gene [/list]

Calvin Innes
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Rifle (not BB Gun) for 6 year old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well... when my son was about that age, probably younger, he came up to me and said, Dad, I need a BB gun. I said fine, but wouldn't you rather have a .22 rifle? Naturally, he said yes. I told him that either way, it was going to be locked up in the safe when I wasn't around. He took the .22 These days there are some good starter guns such as Chipmunk or a Cricket. Very light weight and no recoil. One of the issues of most of the airguns is cocking them. Some are tuff even for me! That being said, the CO2 guns are good but ya hafta buy the darn co2 cartridges.
Since I've gone through this long ago, I'd look at the little .22 long rifle guns. Regardless of the gun, when young, they must always supervised. My 2 cents.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters