Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

2n ford question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graveyard1984
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: 2n ford question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I went and looked at what I think is a
2n ford.
The guy said carb needs rebuilding and
plugs wires and points.

It's missing the fuel tank,the
distributor is laying lose. Intake is
cracked.

What's the tractor worth?
How expensive are the parts?
Are they easy to work on?

I've always had farmall and allis
Chalmers tractors

Thanks for the input and information

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 2n ford question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Let me prefice this buy excluding the early '39 9N's...

For others, parts are relatively cheap and readily available.
What it's worth depends a lot on location, condition of tires,
sheetmetal and other expensive parts.

Non-running limits your testing of hydraulics, transmission, etc.
If the tires are also questionable, close to scrap price here.

Graveyard1984
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 2n ford question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The guy wants $300 dollars for it

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 2n ford question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fuel tank is ~$135 new. A temporary works to run it.
Tires ~$600 for rears if the rims are good. $1000 with rims.
You might find used ones cheaper on CraigsList, etc.
Intake/exhaust manifold is ~$75
New re-pop carbs are cheap. Quality rebuilds are not.

For $300 I would consider it.
But I have a lot of parts laying around and do all my own work.
If you can do the work yourself it might be a good deal.
If you have to hire it done, not so much.

Post some pictures if you get a chance.
I love to see them brought back from the dead!

GB in MT.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 2n ford question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"New re-pop carbs are cheap. Quality rebuilds are not."

What the 'H', is a quality Rebuild.....In today's world. Question
You being the 'exception!!

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2n ford question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I too would consider the tractor if the engine was not stuck and the hydraulics worked and had fair tires. If you do buy it try to get it start off temp tank. Spend as little as possible until you know it will run.

Kirk

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: 2n ford question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The first thing I look at is the steering sectors a nice set will fetch $300 the problem is a nice set is a rare find. The second thing is the hood a nice one will fetch $200 UP. 2N parts do not sell well at all if it ends up being a parts tractor you will set on the parts for a long time. The hardest part to work on is the distributor WHY because you have to take it off to do about anything to it that includes diagnostics. Replacement parts for the dist. are junk its rare to run across a good used one. Tires sell well if in good condition.

The first question you should ask yourself am I willing to spend 2K on it. The second can I part it out and recover my investment.

$300 is not bad if you want it I would not want it that bad but at $150 I would take a gamble on it. Not seeing it @ 150 I may could sell 300 worth of parts off it but would have to set on it a long time.

Steve A W
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: 2n ford question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's a video on checking the hydraulics on the N series tractors.
Testing Hydraulics in a Non running Ford 8N, 9N and 2N

Colin King
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 2n ford question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For $300 I would certainly do it. I think it's a little misleading to look at "consumables" such as tires in your cost analysis. That is, in my opinion, like looking at the cost of an oil change. On any tractor you buy, you'll have to cross that tire bridge at some time or another. Even if you buy a "restored" N, the guy who did the work probably put cheap Chinese tires on that'll last a decade or less, depending on your storage conditions. Your main non-consumable repair costs will be relatively low, as Royse laid out for you. Spend the bucks and get a good carb. And buy good tires, such as Firestones.

Colin, MN

hd6gtom
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 2n ford question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

People give them to me in that condition to haul off for scrap. Do your self a huge favor-- find a late 2-3-4000 ford far better and you will be much happier.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters