Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

OT. 5 inches of snow in Ms

View previous topic :: View next topic  
golfcartman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: OT. 5 inches of snow in Ms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A very rare scene in Central Ms.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: OT. 5 inches of snow in Ms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here that's not snow.
It's just a dusting.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: OT. 5 inches of snow in Ms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

True, but here in the South, it's time for a panic attack. ;)

You simply do not to be on the road if there is the slightest bit of snow falling. Not that it matters, because the schools are already closing early here in VA and not a flake has fallen; it's 41*.

The reason business and schools close early is to allow all of us Southerners time to get to the grocery stores and buy every single loaf of bread and gallon of milk we could possibly need for the next month.

So, riddle me this.........why does everyone eat French toast when it snows around here? Wink

skips8n
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: OT. 5 inches of snow in Ms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Up here in NH that would be "scattered flurries", but you can have it anyway!

HFJ
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: OT. 5 inches of snow in Ms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

as a born and raised northerner, one of the funniest things i've ever seen was when i lived for a winter in louisiana. one night, the temp dropped below freezing. no snow, but the next morning, puddles were frozen over. the look of stunned disbelief on the faces of many was priceless Smile

John in Mich
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: OT. 5 inches of snow in Ms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In 1978 we were in Atlanta for a week. The morning that we were to depart, about 1/4 inch of dust snow had fallen. The taxi driver did not want to drive to the airport. I said I would drive. He asked, "how do you drive on this?" I said 60 to 70 mph. He thought I was crazy.
The following year we were in New Orleans. The afternoon we were boarding to fly to Atlanta for our connection to Detroit, ice had hit Atlanta. Nothing was moving in Atlanta.
Our flight was routed to Boston where about half of the passengers were scheduled had we made Atlanta. Those of us headed to Detroit had to go along or stay another night.
We arrived in Boston, got food vouchers for dinner and waited 2 hours for a flight to Detroit. That flight turned out to be a Champaign dinner flight. We got to Detroit about 7 hours late.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: OT. 5 inches of snow in Ms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You forgot about the beer Smile

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: OT. 5 inches of snow in Ms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Bruce (VA) wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:08:16 12/08/17) True, but here in the South, it's time for a panic attack. Wink

You simply do not to be on the road if there is the slightest bit of snow falling. Not that it matters, because the schools are already closing early here in VA and not a flake has fallen; it's 41*.

The reason business and schools close early is to allow all of us Southerners time to get to the grocery stores and buy every single loaf of bread and gallon of milk we could possibly need for the next month.

So, riddle me this.........why does everyone eat French toast when it snows around here? Wink

My son lives in NC. He says the same thing happens there too. Usually the power will go out, because the power companies don't keep power line right of ways cleared of trees. He said that there is usually a couple of families that die, because they think they can heat their home with a charcoal grill. Even in spite of all the warnings that are put out before the snow gets there.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: OT. 5 inches of snow in Ms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

" ........they think they can heat their home with a charcoal grill."

Yep.

Around here, some genius will turn on his gas generator in the garage. "But the door was open!"

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: OT. 5 inches of snow in Ms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

" You forgot about the beer Smile "

Just a guess, but being a southerner, there is at any given time a weeks supply in the house. Smile

hd6gtom
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: OT. 5 inches of snow in Ms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mannheim Germany Dec 1973, got 4" of snow, whole country was shut down. I had a room on the 3rd floor of the barracks, my window looked out over 2 autobahns, east west one crossed over the north south 1. Some German was flying north in his VW cutting tracks in the new snow. Last I seen of him-- he was going round and round and round headed north, went under the east west bridge probably still hitting 60mph. Hope he learned a lesson.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: OT. 5 inches of snow in Ms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A rare scene for MS for sure!
When I was stationed in Jacksonville, FL we had a storm.
I was standing the midnight to 4:00 a.m. watch and saw it start
raining, then freezing, then snowing. 1/4 inch of ice covered by
1/4 inch of snow. Freeways shut down all up and down the east coast.

Nobody wanted to drive. People wouldn't come in to the base to
relieve those of us that had been there all night. Radio stations
were broadcasting to stay off the roads. "It's so bad the police
aren't even patrolling!" (good thing I wasn't a crook)

I volunteered to be the taxi. Me and my '73 Olds 98.
That old 455 didn't care much. One of the guys whose girlfriend
wouldn't come get him rode with me for quite a few hours.
I'm from Michigan, he was from Minne-snowta.
Every time I'd give it a little gas and slide the rear end a bit,
he'd be in the back seat whooping and hollering about how we're
all gonna die and that driver is a mad man. LOL It was a ball!

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: OT. 5 inches of snow in Ms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My first car was a 1965 Chevy Impala SS. This was while I was in High school. During our senior exams I loaded the car up with girls at noon, and went down town for lunch. After we ate we had some time kill, so we decided to cruise around town until it was time for our next test period. It had been snowing all morning and the streets were still covered with snow with more was falling from the sky. I was showing off a little fishtailing around the corners, just to make the girls scream. Well, my tires weren't in the best shape and were pretty much bald. I went around the last corner a little too hard and started skidding across the street heading for one of those big green USPS mail boxes. I just missed it by inches, then drove down the sidewalk a ways before I got the car back onto the street. It was dead silence in that car on the way back to the school. All the girls told me they were never getting in my car again for as long as they lived. A couple of them forgot about their scary ride by the time summer came.

Colin King
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: OT. 5 inches of snow in Ms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Personally, I prefer something a little more warming than beer this time of year Smile

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters