Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Governor Mystery

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TVZ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Governor Mystery Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 9N was not running very fast, and it seemed like it might be because of the governor. So I got a new one, and indeed, my tractor took on a whole new personality. It now runs much faster. However, it doesn't like to slow down--like after I carry a load up a hill, when I go down the other side it revs up quite high. My tachometer is not working, but it seems to go awfully fast. When I plow my hilly driveway I have to constantly work the throttle to go faster and slower.

The linkage all seems to be pretty much in accord with the guidelines in the IT Manual. The governor spring does have a little end-play, which IT says not to have. However, it's tucked back so it seems like it would be awfully difficult to adjust it by bending with pliars, as suggested. So before struggling with this, does anybody know if that particular adjustment would relate to my particular problem? Otherwise it might be good enough, and I should figure out something else to try. If so, any suggestions would be appreciated...

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Governor Mystery Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Adjust the spring just like the manual says.

TVZ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Governor Mystery Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you, Bruce. Do you know any particular way to effectively do this? I thought if I could get a pair of channel-locks around the spring, end-to-end, then squeeze to shorten the ends, that might work. But it's so far back behind stuff that I haven't been able to do that...

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Governor Mystery Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-TVZ wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:27:25 12/08/17) Thank you, Bruce. Do you know any particular way to effectively do this? I thought if I could get a pair of channel-locks around the spring, end-to-end, then squeeze to shorten the ends, that might work. But it's so far back behind stuff that I haven't been able to do that...

If you can't get to it, just take the gov off to bend the spring.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Governor Mystery Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What R. Geiger said!

If you take it off, see tip #1.
75 Tips

TVZ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Governor Mystery Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok, I removed the governor and adjusted the spring. It didn't really change the way the tractor runs noticeably. Do you suppose it might just be the particular governor that I received? Or does anyone have any further suggestions?
THANK YOU

DGinVT
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Governor Mystery Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Lost motion" in any of the governor linkage will do you in. those parts all have to fir tight especially the spring.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Governor Mystery Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get out your I&T FO4 manual and lay it on the right running board, open to the 'adjust governor' paragraph.

Follow the instructions, step by step.

Post back w/ more questions or results pls!
75 Tips

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters