Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Super 88 D timing marks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olliejunkie
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Super 88 D timing marks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Any one have any suggestions on how to see timing marks with a loader on?
I have enough trouble seeing down that hole without a loader. I bought a bore cam but can't see the marks with it. I got smoke. Starts on ether. Won't stay running.

Olliejunkie
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Super 88 D timing marks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Olliejunkie wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:07:43 12/06/17) Any one have any suggestions on how to see timing marks with a loader on?
I have enough trouble seeing down that hole without a loader. I bought a bore cam but can't see the marks with it. I got smoke. Starts on ether. Won't stay running.

I decided to go see if the bore cam would work better in the dark. I could see the pointer but no mark. The gentleman I got it from just said he couldn't get it to prime but I think he must've had the pump off. I think he said he was 98 but then I think his son said 88. Either way he was still probably sharper than me. I will try to get it timed tomorrow. I may have to make a tent so I can see.

J. Schwiebert
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Super 88 D timing marks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here, take the little plate off the bell housing on the front side. Turn the fly wheel till you find the FP mark and put some white chalk or white paint on that mark so you can see it through the timing hole. Make sure you are on #1 cylinder and not number 6 cylinder. Start there.

Olliejunkie
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Super 88 D timing marks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you J. I didn't see the FP mark. Just INT and TDC. I must've missed it. Maybe it is in time.

Olliejunkie
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Super 88 D timing marks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you J. I didn't see the FP mark. Just INT and TDC.

Olliejunkie
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Super 88 D timing marks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok. I found the fp mark. Still can't see the mark on the pump drive so I will proceed to find it later. Maybe I will get this thing running yet.

Olliejunkie
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Super 88 D timing marks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Success! Thank you J and Dieseltech. Pump was out of time. Previous owner must've had timed it on 6.

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Super 88 D timing marks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Glad you got it straightened out. Lots of guys forget the CAM determines which piston is ready to fire. Happen a lot on IH engines with the M100 injection pump too. Pump hydraulic head and engine cam have to match as both run 1/2 engine speed, while crankshaft AND injection pump both run engine speed.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters