Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

What is going on with these Craigslist nuts?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: What is going on with these Craigslist nuts? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been buying furniture for the second house. The last three were nuts.

Queen headboard. Person cancelled three times. Finally admitted they were afraid to have us come to house.

Another headboard. I always give my name in email. Person told me they had "checked me out", even knew how I earned a living. Would only meet in a public place.

Chair. Person will not provide location. I have to call one hour before pickup time to get address.

People are getting really paranoid!

VADAVE
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What is going on with these Craigslist nuts? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe it's a scam? Or do they really own the house? We have a couple here in Washington DC that moves into a house that's for sale tells the owner it's their ancestral home and to leave. Owner called the cops who arrested the couple, judge released the couple telling them to come in for trial the couple just move on to a different house.

ohiojim
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What is going on with these Craigslist nuts? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yea,..i'm one of those paranoid people, but for another reason, bugs!!! i'd never buy a used piece of furniture from CL.

dlbuck
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What is going on with these Craigslist nuts? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bed bugs! We had a rental house that got bed bugs. The tenants twenty year old daughter, had her boyfriend move in, he brought a mattress from somewhere with him. The mattress had bed bugs in it. The house was less than eight years old, they had lived in it for over a year, when they called with the problem. We ended up paying for the exterminator. Lotsa fun.

da.bees
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What is going on with these Craigslist nuts? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So what's wrong with meeting at a public place? Personally I think it's a good idea,mybe I'm also paranoid.

544hydro
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What is going on with these Craigslist nuts? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A lot of parinoia out ther but lots of criminals too.

There Have Been At Least 45 ‘Craigslist Killings’ Since 2009 according to nationwide police reports.

DoubleO7
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What is going on with these Craigslist nuts? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Local law enforcement encourages people to meet up in their parking lot.

If you ask for location, they should at least let you know what side of what town they are in.
Many things I buy are dependent on how far I have to drive.

3020G
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What is going on with these Craigslist nuts? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I live less than a mile from the sheriff's department. Generally meet people there or the Wal-Mart parking lot (Busiest place in town) if possible. Have even met people there with equipment. One day I was going to look at a chisel plow and the guy gave me his address the first time I drove right by the place (on accident didn't see the mailbox intime) But when I drove back by I noticed the house had no windows and was really run down and looked like there was nothing close by to resemble farm equipment. I drove by on purpose went down to the next cross roads and pulled the address up on my phone and decided there was no farm equipment there and decided to go home. Tried to call the number attached to the ad a few times with no answer. Called from another phone got an answer and asked if they still had the chisel plow, guy said he had no idea what a chisel plow was... Not sure what went on that day or what I did or did not avoid but I think people have a right to be leary.

chuck machinist
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What is going on with these Craigslist nuts? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I always meet at a public place,and I have Lucy strapped to my hip. Just sayin.CM

SodBuster87
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What is going on with these Craigslist nuts? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got a good one. I've been wanting a roll top desk for some time. Furniture store says its custom order. About 4-6 weeks for delivery. Well I found one on CL . Price was about right. Guy was an hour away. So get to his address he says he running late. Well long story short stands me and the wife up for two hours. He finaly pulls in the driveway. Runs right in the house. Guy with him stay outside. Well not a minute later the local P.D. pulls up behind my truck. Says the guy that lives here is wanted. I showed him my ID said I was here for a CL ad. Told the officer who I was talking to and showed him txt messages. Well obviously he wasnt looking for me so let me go. I told him F#### this and left. So yeah plenty of reasons to be cautious on Craigslist. It sure opened my eyes.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What is going on with these Craigslist nuts? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's like I asked on the other CL post,what's the difference between CL ads and print ads in the paper? Why are the print ads safer for the buyer and seller than the print ads? Is it just because of the paranoid media warnings?

tractorsam
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What is going on with these Craigslist nuts? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am with #3. Most of what I sell sits outside (tractors and equipment). Due to the layout of my place the barn is nearer the road than the house. On several occasions I've agreed times for people to see things and I've arrived back at my place (at a time other than agreed) to find them rooting through my building trying to find what I have for sale. I'll give out my general location but not my address any more. Some people are great. Others not so much. Sam

544hydro
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What is going on with these Craigslist nuts? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CL ads are free to post. Lost of scammers that I don't think would pay to put an ad in the paper.

BMACK518N
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What is going on with these Craigslist nuts? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have done C/L deals both ways, at home or in public places but always carry a gun. Arizona, a conceal carry state, gotta love it.

1206SWMO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What is going on with these Craigslist nuts? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been buying and selling on Craigslist for years with no problems..When selling or
wanting to buy I never give a phone number...I let them email me first and then a
phone number is given..We have been to many peoples homes and we have had
people come to our farm with no problems..Some want to meet at a public place
which is fine with me..We even delivered one item to a guys place of employment
60 miles away as we were going to be in that town...Everyone we have met have
been real nice..I recently bought some tractor tires 80 miles away and when the deal
was done at his farm he invited me in a shed to see his classic vehicles..

Craigslist is no riskier than dealing with someone from a classified ad in the local
newspaper,a local trader magazine,or a call in radio program.....Now if someone
wants to meet me at midnight in certain areas of Kansas City with me having a bunch
of cash in my pocket its not going to happen..

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters