Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

What is going on with these Craigslist nuts?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeM(GA)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What is going on with these Craigslist nuts? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

our local Sheriff station has a pair of reserved parking places up near the door with video surveillance just for private sales.

MikeinKy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What is going on with these Craigslist nuts? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you don't put your phone number in the ad, it limits who can buy from you. My computer won't recognize craigslist addresses. I have seen things I really wanted and couldn't contact them without a number. I sell things a lot on craigslist and always have my number in the ad. I have never had any problems. I don't really know how you would get in trouble with just a phone number.

Michael Soldan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What is going on with these Craigslist nuts? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Over here in southern Ontario we had two deadbeats Dellen Millard and Arron Schmits take a man out to test drive his Dodge truck, man and truck disappeared. Eventually they were caught. Truck had been repainted and the owner of the truck was cremated in an animal incinerator. Both got life, didn't bring the guy back. Incidentally both are on trial again for killing Millard's girlfriend and burning her in the same incinerator. Meeting in a public place or at a police station is becoming the norm. I didn't have any problem with my last three purchases, went to the sellers home, arranged to come, one was at night the other two were daytime..police station is maybe a good idea

JF in MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What is going on with these Craigslist nuts? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Agreed, BTDT when going to look at something or having strangers come over to look.

1206SWMO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What is going on with these Craigslist nuts? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We used to put a phone number in and all most wanted to do was call and visit..
We went to just emails and that got us the serious buyers...Lots of times we only
got 1-2 emails but we always sold the item...Neither I nor my wife are much for
talking on the phone...Lately I've done several facebook deals strictly by PM...

Donald Lehman
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What is going on with these Craigslist nuts? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It has become a completely different world from even 10 years ago. Anyone would do well to be careful when answering Craigslist ads. Too many stoners, methheads, and heroin addicts around. A little paranoia tends to keep one's hide free of knife wounds and bullet holes.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What is going on with these Craigslist nuts? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

County next to mine the sheriff's office provides a place in the parking for people to meet to buy and sell it has a couple cameras going so its about as safe as it gets plus the cops are there 24/7.I've never had a problem with anyone off CL but I usually only deal with farm related stuff too.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What is going on with these Craigslist nuts? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The cops caught a guy in Page County that sold a bunch of farm equipment off a farm while the owner was on a 2 week vacation couple years ago I read about in the Harrisonburg paper.

Butch(OH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: What is going on with these Craigslist nuts? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Guess it depends on what fellow buys and sells on CL because I have had exactly zero bad experiences and only one "weird" experience in all my years of buying and selling BUT I primarily wheel and deal in farm antiques and lawn and garden equipment. Ya, I have had my share of low ballers but they are easy to take care of, NO! when in person, or DELETE when emailed or text.
That being said a friend tried to sell his music equipment and vinyl on CL and had nothing but wierdos answering his ads.

Married2Allis
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: What is going on with these Craigslist nuts? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CL tends to be a magnet for a-holes of all sorts. Just Look at all the forums they list on there like '*athiest*', 'kink', 'philos', 'psych', '*queer*', 'vegan' ... Smile

Jiles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: What is going on with these Craigslist nuts? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think most of the bad things that happen on CL is that people sell/buy with texting or email.
I sell a lot of chainsaws on CL and one requirement is that they come to my home and test on wood.
My greatest requirement is that I have direct conversation by phone.
You wouldn't believe how many people I have eliminated over a conversation.
Within a few minutes of a phone conversation, you can usually judge the character of a person.
I have bought or sold by meeting at a public place when possible and this is a great idea.
I might add that when someone comes to my home, I NEVER let the person enter my home or shop and I don't leave them outside alone.
I have a lot of tools and equipment but NOTHING is left outside in clear view.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: What is going on with these Craigslist nuts? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Or you can be like I was one time went to look at a tractor right at dark about 20 miles from my place when I got there about 5 or 6 fellows came out from behind a building,I hand my wife
my pistol and said if I come back running and yelling you start shooting.(LOL)Anyway things went fine and I bought a tractor turns out these fellows were relatives and
always worked together on things knew them for years after that finally told them what I first thought we all had a good laugh.

495man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What is going on with these Craigslist nuts? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-tractorsam wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:45:09 12/07/17) I am with #3. Most of what I sell sits outside (tractors and equipment). Due to the layout of my place the barn is nearer the road than the house. On several occasions I've agreed times for people to see things and I've arrived back at my place (at a time other than agreed) to find them rooting through my building trying to find what I have for sale. I'll give out my general location but not my address any more. Some people are great. Others not so much. Sam

Yup, don't give location out until I know I will be there. Don't need anyone snooping around.

fredharts
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What is going on with these Craigslist nuts? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-ohiojim wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:22:56 12/07/17) yea,..i'm one of those paranoid people, but for another reason, bugs!!! i'd never buy a used piece of furniture from CL.

I am the same way. Depends on what it is. If it is a table or wood chair I probably would. Anything with fabric, no.

Someone bought a used mattress here and got upset it had bed bugs.

DoubleO7
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What is going on with these Craigslist nuts? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-1206SWMO wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:02:50 12/07/17)

Craigslist is no riskier than dealing with someone from a classified ad in the local
newspaper,a local trader magazine,or a call in radio program.....Now if someone
wants to meet me at midnight in certain areas of Kansas City with me having a bunch
of cash in my pocket its not going to happen..

Except for the ease of creating a CL account and email account anonymously tends to attract scammers and criminals.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters