Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Odd combo: 2016 HONDA -1948 JD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greenfrog
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Odd combo: 2016 HONDA -1948 JD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Happen to hook to it just to pull out of shed

casecollectorsc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd combo: 2016 HONDA -1948 JD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very nice planter!

Greenfrog
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd combo: 2016 HONDA -1948 JD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thx. That was my father's. I restored it. Is a checkrow complete with checkwire. Was fun to restore. JD model 290- very popular Planter in those days.

Greenfrog
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd combo: 2016 HONDA -1948 JD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Another view. This is at tractor show in Adams co. Fair in Illinois

Farmallb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd combo: 2016 HONDA -1948 JD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My Grandad Adolph had one that looked like that, but it had solid wheels and no check row as nobody did that in NE Kansas around where I lived.

carvel minne farmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd combo: 2016 HONDA -1948 JD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I didn't know Honda made farm tractors Laughing all kidding aside greenfrog you did a very nice restoration job on that planter.

Greenfrog
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd combo: 2016 HONDA -1948 JD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The solid wheels were newer models. I just barely remember my father using the checkwire. Was time consuming. Allowed cross cultivation .was the GPS in those days! Soon in order to increase population, the Planter was set on hill drop. The end rows were done this way anyway,as no wire was used there. Later that was phased out and Planter set on drill. Fertilizer boxes were removed also, cause fertilizer was then put on in bulk via spreaders.
Yes the restoration was fun to do. Lots of 7/16 bolts and square nuts, but not all; some hex. There was a connection here since it was my fathers planter. Finding the checkheads still stored away in the shed was a bonus. A couple of neighbors still hade rolls of checkwire that they gave me. Can you imagine how much of that went to the landfill. It was too stiff to wire gates with.
Thx for your interest and reply.

Greenfrog
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd combo: 2016 HONDA -1948 JD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also, a couple of people gave me the checkwire anchor stakes. I also found a set of stakes at a flea market.
I read that the farmer spent half his time planting and half the time working with the wire.

Part Time Pete
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Odd combo: 2016 HONDA -1948 JD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The guy I worked for as kid had one. He picked another one up at an auction, and our summer rainy day project one year was to cut it in half, and marry it up to the ends of the first - instant four row planter
One of the things I wish I could have now, but it's long gone
Pete

DR. EVIL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Odd combo: 2016 HONDA -1948 JD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BTO I worked for part time summers in high school planted corn with a 494 planter, 4-38 inch rows, beans he planted 6-30's with a Deere 690. To be best of my knowledge Deere never made a 690, his was made from two 490's with some parts left over.

Dad got a brand new 490 spring of '52. One of the first 4-row planters in the neighborhood. It was getting pretty worn out by 1972 when Dad quit farming. The old runner style planters were a real PITA to set depth with. I remember the last field of beans we planted spring of '72. 20 acres, had been fall plowed, worked up like a sandbox, Dad always only made 2 rounds of endrows, took 3+ hours he stopped and adjusted planter so much to keep planter from burying the seed. Should have been able to plant the whole field in not much more time than that! If a clay sidehill was damp when disked, cloddy, planter would drop seed on top of ground. Planter had two sets of Gandy boxes, insecticide and herbicide. Used only one set most times. Always hill dropped corn, group of 3-4 seeds every 25-30 inches. Beans were drilled, one or two every 8-10 inches.

Today's planters are beastly expensive for what they are, but their ability to plant no-till, hold seed depth, even spacing between plants, and allow planting up to 7-8 mph or more is amazing. These 50-60 year old planters need to be in a museum, not trying to plant a crop today.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters