Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Truck Hauling Question

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OliverKid26
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Truck Hauling Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey guys looking for some advice.

I am looking to buy a 3/4 ton truck as a second vehicle. It would likely get 5,000 to 10,000 miles a year. I would use the truck as a farm truck hauling wagons, etc, but would also like to be able to haul my Oliver tractor that weighs about 9500 pounds to shows, parades, plow days, etc. My question is, will a 3/4 gas truck be able to haul this on a fifth wheel trailer? I don't want to beat on the truck too bad. Would I be much better off with a diesel? Interested in your guys thoughts. I know the gas trucks are much cheaper to maintain, but the diesels hold their value better, haul better, and last longer.

Wondering if I should go gas or diesel. Would prefer to get a Dodge that is a few years old regardless of if I buy gas or diesel.

caterpillar guy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Hauling Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ultimately Your choice, but for those few miles I would not worry about whether it is one or the other.

OliverKid26
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Hauling Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So I can haul a 9500 pound tractor on a 5th wheel with a gasser and be ok? I won't be hauling in mountains just small hills and mostly flat ground.

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Hauling Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sure, twenty years ago half of the semi grain haulers were still gas. My 96 Chevy and camper gross out at 13,500#, with a 350 gas and automatic transmission.

MikeinKy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Hauling Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A good 3/4 ton truck and a gooseneck trailer will be just fine. I have a diesel now, but I had a ford V10 and a Ford with a 460 and they did good. For local hauling about any engine will get the job done, safely, just not as fast.

Huskergreen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Hauling Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 2008 Dodge 2500 with the 5.7 hemi auto that I pull a 25 ft. goose neck and have hauled a 1655 oliver, 1855 oliver, and 1950 oliver and it works ok. Just one at a time. LOL

moresmoke
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Hauling Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a V10 Ford. Haul 2 tractors around to the pulls all summer long. 28000 gross. Get 1 mpg less than the previous diesel.

dpendzic
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Hauling Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

depends on the torque of the engine and the rear axle ratio

oliver power
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Hauling Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you don't tow every day, get a gasser. If you do tow every day, get a diesel.

OliverKid26
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Hauling Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is really good to know. I am leaning towards the gasser now after hearing that. How bad is the milage hauling? I am guessing it gets down in the 7-10 range when hauling a tractor?

M Nut
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Hauling Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I pull a 25ft 14,000lb trailer with that much weight, or more, and have no issues at all. Chevrolet 2500 with a 6.0 liter gas engine. I don't win races, but have pulled that much weight 300+ miles at a time on numerous occasions. No problems.

tractorsam
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Hauling Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A gas will do fine. I have a 3/4 ton and use a goose neck trailer. Usually up to about 12000lbs on the deck. It does fine, doesn't accelerate as fast as a diesel and you feel the hills a bit more but after a string of diesels new and old I'm happy with the gas truck. The first time you have to put a set of injectors or other major repair on an electronic diesel it'll suck up more than you'll save in fuel. Best of luck, Sam

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Hauling Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think 4play put it about as good as it could be put in another post about would you buy a gas a diesel truck. About all I can add to that is if you are not willing to spend 5K on it don't buy it no matter what reputation the combination is...

Most all modern 3/4 ton trucks will get'er done as long as its powered well...

OliverKid26
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Hauling Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Definitely not trying to win any races! Just trying to be able to haul equipment safely. I appreciate the input.

OliverKid26
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Hauling Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is the most that can be hauled legally with a 3/4 ton truck?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters