Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Truck Hauling Question

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duner Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Hauling Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This chart is for 2003 Dodge Ram,
http://www.dodgeram.info/2003/load-tow/2500.html

M Nut
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Hauling Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Honestly, I don't know. My guess is it is based upon the gvw of the tow vehicle. I have hauled tractors in the 10,000lb range on several occasions, state and interstate highways, with no issues from any law enforcement personnel. Was I truly legal? I don't honestly know.

SodBuster87
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Hauling Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For those few miles a year go gas. Emissions are coming down harder all the time on diesels and making them more complicated all the time. Between that and better gas engines and higher price of diesel I truely think the "glory days" of diesels are behind us . just my two cents. Sod buster.

OliverGuy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Hauling Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For that few miles I?d buy a gas. I run a bunch of pickups on trailers and all are gas. We pull anywhere from 8 to 16,000# including the trailers everyday. GM trucks and 5.7?s,6.0?s and 8.1?s. Higher price of diesel, price of the truck and repair costs are tough to justify for me at least. Mine always start when it?s -15 also to push snow

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Hauling Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is no legal limit. As long as the trailer has sufficient brakes to stop it, what you pull with it is your decision.

The truck mfg will have the load and tow rating available. Probably find out using the VIN. Now that is based on what they think the truck can safely be used for, on a regular basis, without harming the vehicle.

You can somewhat exceed what they recommend, if done occasionally, and common sense is used.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Hauling Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use a 1980 Chevy heavy half to haul tractors. A few month back I hauled home an IH584 with loader. I do not know how heavy it was but I know I was over loaded. My 7000lbs winch could not pull it on the trailer and it took another tractor with loader to push it on. Trailer brakes where not working either which did not help me any. But I got it home safely because I did not try to brake any speed records and took it nice and slow

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Hauling Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would stay with gas unless you know how to work on diesel and do some of your servicing. A 3/4 ton and trailer with good brakes should work fine. I pull a 24 FT. 14,000 lb. deck over that weighs 4,200 lbs. with a 97 GMC K1500, 5.7 Vortec V8 with air bags on rear axle. I haul one of two tractors. Allis Chalmers WD 45 weighing 6,000 lbs. and IH 450 weighing 8,000 lbs.

VADAVE
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Truck Hauling Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The question you really want to ask "when do I need to have a CDL?" Weight and length. My 2004 Chevy 2500HD with Duramax weighs empty real close to 6000lb then pull a 4000lb empty trailer and add your tractor weight. When you hit 29000 total weight you need a CDL. Also there is a combined length limit, but weight will get you first.
The new 3/4 ton trucks are rated at pretty high towing weights.

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Truck Hauling Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-VADAVE wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:41:52 12/08/17) The question you really want to ask "when do I need to have a CDL?" Weight and length. My 2004 Chevy 2500HD with Duramax weighs empty real close to 6000lb then pull a 4000lb empty trailer and add your tractor weight. When you hit 29000 total weight you need a CDL. Also there is a combined length limit, but weight will get you first.
The new 3/4 ton trucks are rated at pretty high towing weights.

No, no, no, no, NO!!! First off the what the vehicle weighs has nothing to do with a CDL. It's the GVWR of the vehicle(s) that matters. Go to your states DMV laws and look up the criteria involved. Never, ever take advice on what is or isn't legal on an internet chat site!

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Truck Hauling Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-OliverKid26 wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:00:17 12/07/17) What is the most that can be hauled legally with a 3/4 ton truck?

That is going to depend on the truck, the trailer and your states laws and rules regarding same. You need to talk to your DMV to get the facts, and get it in writing so you can review it rather than relying on memory.

Beyond that, for occasional hauling, gas is fine. Lots less expensive to buy and maintain. FWIW, my 1 ton Ford gasser gets about 9-10mpg empty and about 7 loaded, sometimes less on the hills.

dhermesc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Truck Hauling Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Actual weight has nothing to do with CDL requirements - it is the GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT RATING from the manufacturer.

1.A Class A CDL License is required when the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Ratings (GCVWR) of the truck and trailer totals 26,001 or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

2.A Class B CDL License is required for any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

3. A Class C CDL License is required for any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is placarded for hazardous materials.

One of the most misunderstood parts of the above requirements has to do with trailers with a GVWR in excess of 10,000 pounds when the combined GVWR does not exceed 26,000 pounds. In this case a CDL is NOT required provided you are not placarded for hazardous materials. However individual states may impose a requirement that drivers in their states must have a CDL in this situation so you need to check the requirements in your state. It is also important to note that individual state CDL licensing requirements CAN NOT be applied to drivers from other states.

I don't know where you came up with 29,000 pounds.

Ferd
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Truck Hauling Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I haul the 4020 & plow with this 1979 F-350 that has a 351M (no ball of fire). Might take a little longer to get up to speed or make a hill but sure cheaper than a diesel or a newer truck for the limited use I have. Bought the truck from the original owner about 3 years ago and it only had 15,000 miles on it.

Scott 730
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Truck Hauling Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pulled this gem 1,000 miles. Scaled just over GCWR. Doesn't look that heavy. 8.1L with Allison auto.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Hauling Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How are the brakes on that 1979 F350 ? I have a 1981 F350 had it since 1985 ? they never were as good as I think they should be. Had to cram them on hard and fast the other day and they were slow reacting. Ours had a 351M 2 bbl and single ex. Would hardly go over 50-55 mph empty up a grade ! Put a 4bbl. and dual ex. on it and an edelbrock performer cam and that woke it up pretty good. It didn't like being ran up too high of RPM though as just when it really sounded good and pulled hard it would float the valves and bend push rods. At least that's what I think happened ? You could only buy 1 strength of push rods for them at least back then. I ended up putting a 460 in there with the exact same 4 bbl. carb transferred over. I actually gained 1 mpg when pulling the trailer ! The 460 just runs so much better !

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Truck Hauling Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 97 has the 351 too. It's not what I'd buy if I was hauling heavy all the time, but for what I do with it, it's fine. There are days a 460 would sure make life a little easier though!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters