Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Badly organized firewood stack

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
morgan in ar
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Badly organized firewood stack Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was burning pig nut hickory in October and November. Now that it finally got cold, I am burning box elder. Not good planning....

tomturkey
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Badly organized firewood stack Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Think of all the exercise you are getting, feeding the furnace twice as often. lol gobble

Briar Hill Brittanys
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Badly organized firewood stack Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hadn't heard of that variety. We have a lot of shag bark hickories around these parts. Burned some earlier. White and red oak, with a slice or two of hedge is what's in the Buck stove now. I do try to plan out my wood burning.

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Badly organized firewood stack Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We burn a lot of low quality wood, when we're home, I sell the select! I try to have a couple of good hardwood sticks to put in at bedtime. It's all very dry, so the junk burns fine, I just get more exercise filling the stove, like Tom said!

SodBuster87
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Badly organized firewood stack Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'M still burning left over wood from last winter. Used about 5 cord last winter. I have 8 cord sitting split and another 2 cords still in 8ft lengths that never got split. I have forced air LP as well but the wood stove realy saves on the lp. Knocked a bunch of ugly and half dead trees down spring before last.. Alot of spruce, pine, popple and boxelder. But I throw oak on over night. Sod Buster.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Badly organized firewood stack Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I only cut Black Locust,Hickory and Oak so it doesn't much matter what I burn when.I do cut some Walnut its light but puts out decent heat use Red Cedar for kindling split up in small
pieces.Had to cut down a Norway Spruce and blocked a few pieces but it doesn't look like very good firewood going to burn a few pieces just to see.

johnlobb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Badly organized firewood stack Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Being as both I and my new neighbor to the east hate Box Elder bugs, and had a real bad batch of them this past spring and fall, his wife said "cut all the Box Elders down". So he cut all 13 of his down. I cut 3 females that I had down. He did not want any of the wood, so I took it all, plus he had a big Mulberry come down against his power line, and I helped him cut that up and got that wood also. Earlier, our dog groomer had a Siberian Elm come down and I got that wood too. Before all that I was a little worried about my wood stock, but now I'm not. I kept that Dolmar 510 singing this summer and fall. GREAT little saw!

BigDanT
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Badly organized firewood stack Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ash, ash and more ash. Not bad wood if you get it before it turns pithy. So much of it the tree companies are bringing it to me for free. Makes for easy and cheap heat when all I have to do is split it and put is in the wood shed. I haven't gone out to cut wood in 4 or 5 years. That's when the ash borer show up here in central Indiana.

caterpillar guy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Badly organized firewood stack Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't worry about the wood. I find it makes more difference if it is dry or green. I have had to burn a lot of green wood over the years. Not as much heat in green wood. I also will put it in if it will go through the door on stuff that will be hard to split or cutit short to put in with other blocks.

Bob in SD
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Badly organized firewood stack Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I hear ya. Every time I see a piece of locust or oak come in this time of year I wonder if it's worth putting it back outside for when I really need it. Never do, but I wonder.

Lately I've been keeping lots of 1 inch diameter, and even less, wood as we clear brush. It's a mess carrying, stacking, etc but it's great for spring and fall. Quick fires to take the chill off. Every year I decide to not mess with the small stuff next year, but now I'm wishing I had more of it. Also we burn the trash wood outside in the summer, so it makes for less fires/work in the summer.

Most weekdays we let the fire go out during the day, so the small stuff helps in getting it started also.

Dachshund
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Badly organized firewood stack Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our outdoor wood stove burns anything I put into it. I get it from the local Amish sawmill. It's a mix of Red Oak, White Oak, Ash, Cottonwood, Cedar, and whatever else they cut (usually no Walnut). I just throw whatever is next into the fire. I do have a stack of 4" x 40" x 3/8" strips (same species mix) that I toss in first to get things going....
I also use whatever I cut down over the summer that is in my way around here, just cut them to a size I can handle, and throw them in round. Big logs go to the mill.

RedMF40
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Badly organized firewood stack Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Morgan in ar wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:57:06 12/07/17) I was burning pig nut hickory in October and November. Now that it finally got cold, I am burning box elder. Not good planning....

Tree cutters felled a pretty big sumac near me, decided to pass on loading up the wood since I don't know much about it. Online reviews were mixed. If anyone here burns it, please share.

RLA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Badly organized firewood stack Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is the main reason why I keep all my fire wood on wheels..
I have 10 wood wagons, all are loaded. In the fall I park them nearer
my house & the window I throw wood in, in the summer months they are out
of sight. No Bark to clean up except at the window. Couple loads of Ash,
Couple of Maple, 3 loads of cherry, 2 of Pig & Shag Bark hickory & I'm
burning a load of White oak right now. Hotter wood never gets buried out
of sight. When I load it, it will fit into my furnace, don't have a issue
with Bugs or Mice. It's all ranked chest high in the center of the wagon
most of the wagons are 5'x 9'..

Frank(Mi.)
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Badly organized firewood stack Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Box Elder!!---OMG you are desperate huh?

RBoots
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Badly organized firewood stack Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John, that Mulberry is very good wood, sorta like Oak

Ross

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters