Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Block heater question

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canuk
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject: Block heater question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello folk's, I have been reading about how effective the inline water block heaters are at warming the engine and have a question about how to install it.

I have a 2N which before I got it ran without a thermostat. Eventually the head/valves plugged up with soot and carbon so I cleaned it up, replaced the head gasket and added a thermostat.

With this in mind, I am reading the block heater should be installed on the engine side of the lower hose pointing up towards the motor so that it will direct the heated water/coolant into the engine.

My question is.....would this not direct the heated water up to the closed thermostat and not get past it to heat the block? Is it possible the water heater will get hot enough to open the thermostat and thus heat the engine?

Must be something I am not getting?

Appreciate some opinions on if this is correct.

Cheers

wellmax99
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Block heater question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just when with a magnetic attached oil pan heater,
You plug it up, attach it to the oil pan, the oil is warm, motor spins over much easier, unplug it and take it off, drive tractor,

No plumbing necessary, tractor is stored in the barn all the time so electric plug is close by,

I ask around, this method was the easiest way of heating the engine, no cords, plumbing plugs to get loose or leak, etc,

Canuk
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Block heater question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks wellmax99, I have the magnetic style as well which helps a bit. I'd like the water/block heated for a faster start up.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Block heater question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"would this not direct the heated water up to the closed thermostat and not get past it to heat the block?"

You are heating the coolant in the lower radiator hose. The T-stat is in the UPPER radiator hose, so NO WORRIES.

Canuk
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Block heater question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, is there any way for the coolant to bypass the thermostat so there is circulation around and through the engine?

It seems to me the pump would pressurize the coolant through the engine and against the thermostat and then just cavitate because it is unable to have flow.

There must be something I am not getting about how the unit is set up.

tractorguy2
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Block heater question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lower hose heaters are a joke. They heat the radiator not the
block. You need either a tank heater or a magnetic pan heater.

Both styles work. The tank heater will require plumbing and
difficult to find room on the N tractors to mount the heater.

The magnetic heater you just stick it to the pan and plug it in.

Blue Jay
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Block heater question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The water will warm the engine by convection, it will warm the engine without the thermostat opening. If the thermostat opened or was not there the water would thermosiphon thru the radiator and cool it back down.

Jimmyjack
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Block heater question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lower hose heaters might be a joke, but here in Wis. the joke makes all the difference in the world when it get 20 below. I have
the on my tractors and swear by them.

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Block heater question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Canuk.......may I offer a more better solution? Heat yer carbie/manifold. (seriously) Starting in cold weather is always a carbie problem, notta block water problem. Just shine a 60-watt lite-bulb, or one of yer magnetic heaters on the carbie. Why is it a carbie problem? The very act of carburation, turning liquid into vapor requires heat or sucks it outta the air. (physics 101) And iff'n yer cold driving yer tractor, put insulated coveralls or snow-mobilers suit on ...and... wear a HAT to keep yer toes warm. And final note, ALL N-engines don't have room inside the block water jacket/freeze plug fer a heater. So yeah, ittza lower radiator hoze fer heater and upper radiator hoze fer thermostat. Now why are my fingers cold?.......Dell

Canuk
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Block heater question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dell, I know you are right and have seen it also. Choke it, or squirt fuel in the carb till it is flooded and eventually some of it combusts enough to stumble to a start.

I'll try the block heater against the carb (outside), to see what difference it makes. If that works the old ladies hair dryer might go missing.

Thanks all, great to have such knowledgeable resources around who also enjoy playing with these 75 year old gems.

cowdog
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Block heater question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have used lower radiator hose heaters for 50 years in Mt. It gets pretty friggen cold here if you didn't know. They work great. They heat the coolant in the block if you follow the directions for installing them. Don't over think this and worry about the thermostat. If it gets warm enough it will just open.

Scott(Ks.)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Block heater question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Years ago I used my 8N to feed cattle in the winter. I also worked in town, so the tractor "had" to start. I used a lower radiator hose heater and a drop light laying on the manifold. I had a heavy timer and set it for about four hours before I needed it in the morning. The tractor started like summertime.

Now it stays in the garage waiting for snow.

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Block heater question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dell (WA) has the right idea. You can even use a 125 watt heat lamp like the ones used for keeping baby pigs warm during cold weather, or a 250 watt heat lamp would be better. Use one of those heat light fixtures that has a spring loaded clamp on it. Clamp it to the edge of the hood, and aim it towards the engine on the carburetor side. Leave it plugged in 24/7 so it is always ready when ever you need to use the tractor.

Canuk
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Block heater question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks. Ha, I live in Ontario where pay .35 cents per kwh (power used + delivery +taxes), for electricity so leaving the lights on would be affordable.

I have a heat lamp as you describe and will give it a go, also have a small piece of R foil to trap the heat in the area.

Much appreciate the suggestions

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Block heater question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Canuk wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:33:47 12/10/17)
Thanks. Ha, I live in Ontario where pay .35 cents per kwh (power used + delivery +taxes), for electricity so leaving the lights on would be affordable.

I have a heat lamp as you describe and will give it a go, also have a small piece of R foil to trap the heat in the area.

Much appreciate the suggestions

You really don't have to wrap anything. Since a heat lamp is radiant heat it will heat whatever it's aimed at.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters