Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Block heater question

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cowdog
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Block heater question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have used lower radiator hose heaters for 50 years in Mt. It gets pretty friggen cold here if you didn't know. They work great. They heat the coolant in the block if you follow the directions for installing them. Don't over think this and worry about the thermostat. If it gets warm enough it will just open.

Canuk
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Block heater question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Dell (WA) wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:16:35 12/09/17) Canuk.......may I offer a more better solution? Heat yer carbie/manifold. (seriously) Starting in cold weather is always a carbie problem, notta block water problem. Just shine a 60-watt lite-bulb, or one of yer magnetic heaters on the carbie. Why is it a carbie problem? The very act of carburation, turning liquid into vapor requires heat or sucks it outta the air. (physics 101) And iff'n yer cold driving yer tractor, put insulated coveralls or snow-mobilers suit on ...and... wear a HAT to keep yer toes warm. And final note, ALL N-engines don't have room inside the block water jacket/freeze plug fer a heater. So yeah, ittza lower radiator hoze fer heater and upper radiator hoze fer thermostat. Now why are my fingers cold?.......Dell

Dell (WA), you hit the nail right on the head and I hope that others see this to benefit from your advise like I did.

Today I hooked up a heat lamp and pointed it at the carb/intake manifold for about 30 minutes and she fired like it was a summer day, maybe even better.

My old girl used to take a shot of fuel, or ether to get going below -10, today she fired right up and stayed running.

I sure recommend others try this and your starter motor will thank you.

Thanks everyone for your input.

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Block heater question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Back in my youth I had to get a tractor started to haul manure out to the field about every other day. Wasn't smart enough then to use a heat lamp, but instead would get a bucket of very hot water from the milk house. I would pour the hot water slowly onto the intake manifold and carburetor. Then hit the starter button. This would be the way I started the beast most of the winter. By the time I got back the water would be mostly evaporated off the carburetor. One time it was warm enough I could start the engine without the hot water, but it was still cold enough to freeze any water that was left on the carburetor linkage. The engine started with the butterfly shaft frozen in the wide open position. That sure was a surprise.

TraktorFreunde
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Block heater question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anyone have any experience with Kat's magnetic heaters? I'm looking to use it mostly on the Hydraulic side of things. Would the 200 or 300 watt heat "fit" better on the underside of the back end? If the larger one doesn't really touch enough surface area, I'd rather go with the cheaper small one. Thanks

Abbby
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Block heater question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I concur with Jimmyjack. Call the lower heater a joke but the joke works at -20F here in WI, IMO the Katz lower radiator hose is the only way to go. Some of the nay sayers think the coolant must be circulated for it to work. I plug mine in about an hour before starting at -20F. Touch hand on head and it feels warm. Tractor starts right up like 40F. A little tight fit installing but well worth it. I tried a magnetic one on the pan and really not a good place on the N to put and did not seem to heat much at all. So try to take it off while it is hot. Forget it! Again my opinion and experience.

TraktorFreunde
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Block heater question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I didn't get any responses in regards to Kat's, so I just picked one up to try (200 watt). .....Well, not worth it. It simply does not heat enough (it was 10 degrees out). Maybe on some thinner steel oil pan or something. I doubt the 300 watt would work much better.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters