Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

tractor pulling tires 15.5 or 16.9.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdross
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: tractor pulling tires 15.5 or 16.9. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For the last few years been doing very well running 15.5 F/R on 70 JD and strongly considering stepping up to 16.9 Super All Traction. Looking for feedback on how these tires work. Most of our tracks are hard based and we are speed limited.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: tractor pulling tires 15.5 or 16.9. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the 16.9X38 will put 63 square inches more rubber on the ground over the 15.5X38. The 15.5 is 189 squares inches of rubber on ground and a 16.9 is 252 square inches of rubber to ground.

crew chief
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: tractor pulling tires 15.5 or 16.9. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I stepped up from 15.5 titan to a 16.9 sat on a 730d pulling on horse show tracks, made a world of diffrence, hard tracks not so good

mdross
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: tractor pulling tires 15.5 or 16.9. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most all our tracks are hard based. I'm considering the Super All Traction II's if Firestone makes them in that size. What do run for pressure in your 16.9's and how much bigger in dia are the titans 15.5 to 16.9?

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: tractor pulling tires 15.5 or 16.9. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From what I can find a 15.5X38 is 61" and a 16.9X38 is 66.3".

535353m
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: tractor pulling tires 15.5 or 16.9. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Air pressure -- - - - air pressure, -- hard track,-- hard tire. SAT traction work well,adjust air pressure,no tire works perfect all the time. However I have had the advantage over many bigger tires with a set of off brand 13.6.Happy Holidays.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: tractor pulling tires 15.5 or 16.9. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's not all tire pressure. Weight placement, knowing how to read track, and knowing what you tractor can do and can't do.

mdross
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: tractor pulling tires 15.5 or 16.9. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Was thinking about 18.4's but dia. is too much.

mdross
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: tractor pulling tires 15.5 or 16.9. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Agree it is all about knowing your tractor weight placement and reading the track. Not to mention those pullers not following the rules and getting away with it. Times are a changing once I started winning they kept asking me to weigh making focusing on how it all works that much more important.

535353m
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: tractor pulling tires 15.5 or 16.9. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

dbeuatty,we are talking tires,so air pressure is the only factor to change at the pull,-- but for sure doing well is based on many things,like even just showing up,and of course many other impacting choices,where you drive,what position you pull at, how you read the track,how much compression,how many rpms,what gear,how close to the speed limit can you maintain,are you sure you have the drawbar where you think it will work best,not just weight placement either. HAPPY HOLIDAYS !!!!

The Dukester
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: tractor pulling tires 15.5 or 16.9. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I run Titan 14.9-38's on my 60 horse G and they aren't enough on soft tracks even at 7500 lbs, but on good clay tracks in ideal condition they are just about right, even at 6500 lbs. 14.9's are slightly larger in diameter, but the tread is 1/2 to 1 inch narrower than most 15.5's, they have over 200 sq, inches of contact area. I've thought about 16.9's too but I don't care enough about winning because the pulls I enter are pretty small time...and I ain't getting any younger......

mdross
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: tractor pulling tires 15.5 or 16.9. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

dbeuatty we think the same way, the tractor has been optimized so that finishing pulls with frontend in the air with the engine idling. Power is not the issue anymore it is traction I need to optimize. Larger tires is the next step looks like it will be 16.9's once I decide on the bar configuration. 23 degree seems to be the best choice now is it F/R or Super All Traction II's

535353m
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: tractor pulling tires 15.5 or 16.9. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

tractor is never optimized for more than one pull !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BAAAA HUMMM BUGGGG.

mdross
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: tractor pulling tires 15.5 or 16.9. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is certainly an exercise in patience. A lot of work either way, the weights get heavier every year to lift that is. Still look forward to every single pull.

535353m
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: tractor pulling tires 15.5 or 16.9. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

that is for sure,weights are heavier every yr.-- I see so many custom lighter wts made. Same with the cold,not as fun as it was yrs ago. It is fun to tighten the chain and hear the purr and see how the pull ends,making a good long pull early in a class with a lot of entries is nerve wrecking. LOL

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters