Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Tecumseh Engine - trying to get it to fire ..

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Tecumseh Engine - trying to get it to fire .. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pull the air cleaner off and any thing that might keep you from putting you hand over the air intake of the carb. Then try to start it while holding your hand over the intake. You should feel bot ha good suction and also get gas on your hand. It may even try to run when you do that. By the way those carbs are not all that hard to open up and rebuild BTDT many, many times

gdtractor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Tecumseh Engine - trying to get it to fire .. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Okay .. will give it a try!! Thanks much !!

Gary

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Tecumseh Engine - trying to get it to fire .. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also depending on what carb it has you maybe able to pull the float bowl off and then spray carb cleaner up the hole in the center tube of the carb and then have a good running engine. I have been working on these old small engines for over 50 years now and if I could fix one when I was 10 you should be able to fix the one you have. That was about how old I was when my dad gave me the old lawn mower to play with and it run at times when his brand new one would not

gdtractor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Tecumseh Engine - trying to get it to fire .. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thx much !!

steve_in_mo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Tecumseh Engine - trying to get it to fire .. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is some confusion, since another poster thinks
it is a 3.5 hp replacement short block engine. If the
carburetor throat is about 1 inch across, I'm right.
If it is much less than that, I am wrong.

joe csuti
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Tecumseh Engine - trying to get it to fire .. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Original eng on splitter has been replaced at some point in time,the Tecumseh SBH-351A is a factory short block replacement for the HM80 eng(8 hp).Copy all the numbers you can find on carb body then click on link below,from list on top right corner of homepage click on CARBURETOR IDENTIFICATION,see if you can find mfg mod# of carb listed then get carb pn from list,after that goto ebay & search tecumseh + carb pn or search tecumseh hm80 carb,you can probably pickup a china replacement for $10-$20,I've bought several china carbs for H60 & HM100 eng and they work quite well.The SBH on tag means short block horizontal and is only used on factory assembled replacement blocks.
carb

Don B.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Tecumseh Engine - trying to get it to fire .. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm sorry. I'll take someone else's temperamental Tecumseh over anything Harbor Freight. Tecumsehs I can get to run. HF? When it needs anything will I be able to get parts? Next year? 5 years from now? 10 years from now (assuming it hasn't blown up yet) I can find parts for Tecumsehs that are now 30-40-and more years old, typically just need a little maintenance to get going....

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tecumseh Engine - trying to get it to fire .. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My sentiments exactly. Never had one that I liked and had as few as possible.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters