Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

MF35 Siezes After Warm up

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axtell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: MF35 Siezes After Warm up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have a Perkins 23C diesel that freezes up after warm up. The engine was rebuilt a year earlier and ran like a champ. It out performed an
MF250 and JD 1530 after the rebuild. I was told it could pull a trailer of 125 bales of hay up hill in high gear without hesitation. I was asked to
change the oil in it and after doing so the engine locked up after about 5mins. I noticed a little white smoke coming from around the front of the
engine around where the breather tube outlet is after it locked up. About like cigarette smoke. I was involved in the rebuild which was a major
undertaking for me and was sick to my stomach when it locked up. The tractor sat all through the spring and summer as I had other obligations
and until recently out of curiosity I tried to turn it over again. To my surprise it did but you could hear metal on metal. I have pulled it back in the
shop to break it down again but thought I would post this to maybe see if anyone had any advice what to look for. I am hoping it could be
something I could inspect/repair without removing the engine again.

miner09
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: MF35 Siezes After Warm up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It could be several things. Oil pump not working. Rod Insert spun. etc. How long did it run after rebuild? What oil did you run? Don't think oil change had anything to do with it unless you didn't add new oil. Had a neighbor to do that. Didn't put drain plug back poured oil in ran on ground. He didn't see it.

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: MF35 Siezes After Warm up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First off it's not a Perkins 23C. If it's a 23C four cylinder that's built by Standard Motors. MF35 Perkins were three cylinder engines. Which one is yours?

Axtell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: MF35 Siezes After Warm up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Dieseltech wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:43:59 12/17/17) First off it's not a Perkins 23C. If it's a 23C four cylinder that's built by Standard Motors. MF35 Perkins were three cylinder engines. Which one is yours?

Got me there. Sorry. 3.152

Axtell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: MF35 Siezes After Warm up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It ran about a year, one season, after the rebuild.

John Deere D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: MF35 Siezes After Warm up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm interested in your findings, In 1984? I had a Perkins 3 cylinder in the shop.The Crankshaft THRUST WASHERS failed..... metal was contacting metal:

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: MF35 Siezes After Warm up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You got a bearing, or a piston that gets tight when it gets some heat in it. I'd drop the oil pan, and have a look around.

Phil Tibbetts
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: MF35 Siezes After Warm up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bought a MF 65 this summer with a stuck motor. Got it freed up pretty easily, ran it around for a few weeks and decided to do some rototilling with it because it was running great. After about 1/2 hour the motor took to rattling something fierce. Got it parked and towed it to the garage for tear down. It had spun # 4 rod bearing. $1000 plus later with a rebuild kit and new crank it is running great again.

Axtell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: MF35 Siezes After Warm up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I’ll start by dropping the oil pan and see what I can see. I’ll keep you posted.

Axtell

Axtell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: MF35 Siezes After Warm up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like oil pump failure.

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: MF35 Siezes After Warm up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Axtell wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:21:57 12/18/17) Looks like oil pump failure.

That will do it, never see that happen with that gear.

Axtell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: MF35 Siezes After Warm up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very strange. A few more pics....

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: MF35 Siezes After Warm up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Break that ear off the rest of way, and look at the cross section of the crack (see if it looks like a fresh crack, or a old crack).

John Deere D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: MF35 Siezes After Warm up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It has been several years since I preformed a Total R/R on a Perkins....is there a Counter Bore on the FRONT BRG.CAP to accept the protrusion of the oil Pump?

Is a counter bore required in Brg.Cap?

The last pump I installed was an Original from England and the pump mounting flange did not break off:

Bob....Owner operator MF FE 35 X 3 cylinder Perkins:

Axtell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: MF35 Siezes After Warm up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-John Deere D wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:21:46 12/19/17) It has been several years since I preformed a Total R/R on a Perkins....is there a Counter Bore on the FRONT BRG.CAP to accept the protrusion of the oil Pump?

Is a counter bore required in Brg.Cap?

The last pump I installed was an Original from England and the pump mounting flange did not break off:

Bob....Owner operator MF FE 35 X 3 cylinder Perkins:

Hmmmm.... that is very interesting. I will check that out this morning and update. Thanks!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters