Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

IH 46 baler with #10 thrower and wagon questions

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldfarmall
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: IH 46 baler with #10 thrower and wagon questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello-

Due to limited help when I need to make hay, I want to upgrade to an IH baler with a bale thrower. I currently bale about 4-5000 bales per year with a mccormick 46 baler. This baler has been an excellent baler, misses very few bales. I have a lead on a mccormick 46 baler with #10 thrower.

My questions are:

does the #10 thrower on a mccormick 46 work well?

how many bales can I fit on average on a 9x16 bale cage wagon?

I am not interested in switching to a john deere or new holland. Been using my 46 baler for 20 years now and know the knotters and baler inside and out. That is why I want to stay with IH balers. Would maybe like to find a newer baler such as the All Twine 430 or 440, but the 46 with thrower is only 10 minutes from the farm. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance!

-Jesse

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 46 baler with #10 thrower and wagon questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What about purchaceing a NewHolland stackwagon?That way you can bale all your hay without having to dump and handstack,or switch wagons.Bale your hay,pickup the bales with the machine,then stand the load up in the barn. One man haymakeing.

Absent Minded Farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 46 baler with #10 thrower and wagon questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A good tying IH baler is a keeper!! If you know your 46 is a good baler, you might want to get the one down the road & put that thrower on your baler.
Then keep the other one around as a second or for parts. The 430/440 balers are good & have a healthy appetite.... but you already know your baler.
That's my first thought, anyhow. I have 8x16 wagons & fit about 110 - 120. It helps to stop & re-situate your load on occasion.

Good luck & Happy Holidays!

Mike

oldfarmall
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 46 baler with #10 thrower and wagon questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-DeltaRed wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:29:33 12/20/17) What about purchaceing a NewHolland stackwagon?That way you can bale all your hay without having to dump and handstack,or switch wagons.Bale your hay,pickup the bales with the machine,then stand the load up in the barn. One man haymakeing.

Have thought about stackwagons, but my barn is not set up for one. Have a 100 year old barn, can only drive up the ramp and into it in one spot and use portable pipe elevators to get the hay where we want. Now if I had a nice pole shed, that would be a great idea!

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 46 baler with #10 thrower and wagon questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had8x18 wagons...could cram in about 140 if they went above the top rail.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 46 baler with #10 thrower and wagon questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been years since I had mine, 35 years. That thrower works good, Just don't make long bales. 30" or less works best.My wagond were the old grain beds with homemade rackes on them. Some lucky to be 6' wide. If you get the bales too heavy may have trouble getting them to back of long wagon but they should not be baled if thay are going to be that heavy.

oldfarmall
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: IH 46 baler with #10 thrower and wagon questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After seeing some posts, sounds like I should be able to easily get over 100 bales on a wagon. By hand stacking I can easily get 180 bales going 6 high on a 9x16 cage wagon, so I figured around 125 per wagon as a guess for bales off a thrower.

-Jesse

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: IH 46 baler with #10 thrower and wagon questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can't help with IH specifics but I have a few suggestions about getting a good load on a wagon. First, throw about 25 30 bales on the wagon trying to get them in the middle. Stop and stack 10 in the front tier, 10 in the back tier and the rest in the middle. While doing this you are checking your weight and tension. The thrower is not able to put them in the front, and letting them slam into that back wall in order to get them to the rear can result in breakage. Now that the wagon is "set-up", just keep going. If, however you need to get a max load on, when it is nearing full, stop and do a little rearranging, especially stacking a few at the top along the back to prevent the bales from "skipping" over the top, and building the front up a little to prevent them falling back and off the front.

tomturkey
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 46 baler with #10 thrower and wagon questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

approximately where do you live?? gobble

oldfarmall
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 46 baler with #10 thrower and wagon questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-tomturkey wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:07:28 12/21/17) approximately where do you live?? gobble

I am in central Wisconsin near Waupaca.

-Jesse

greg oliver
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 46 baler with #10 thrower and wagon questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a IH 430 baler that I put a #10 thrower on. The 430 was used with a NH stack wagon and the baler was in good shape and only paid $900 at an auction. Should of bought the stack wagon too but already had the kicker wagons. The thrower worked good and I had a chance to get a new baler so traded on a Case IH that was similar in design to the 440. I believe it was the last of the IH design before they went to NH. Still tied the IH bow tie knots on the bale. This CaseIH had the NH belt style thrower . The #10 thrower with the rollers would have a bearing go bad on the rollers once in awhile and that's the only problem I remember.

Bruce from Can.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: IH 46 baler with #10 thrower and wagon questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a 46 and I put a thrower on it and it worked
well enough. You need to also get the axle kit. Sets
the wheel on knotted side back to rear of the baler,
to help carry the extra weight. It is also real nice to
have a dual tire on the knotter side of the baler. I
have a 47 all equipped like this sitting in the shed. If
you were in Ontario, I?d sell you the whole thing for
$400.00

oldfarmall
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 46 baler with #10 thrower and wagon questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Bruce from Can. wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:34:25 12/22/17) I had a 46 and I put a thrower on it and it worked
well enough. You need to also get the axle kit. Sets
the wheel on knotted side back to rear of the baler,
to help carry the extra weight. It is also real nice to
have a dual tire on the knotter side of the baler. I
have a 47 all equipped like this sitting in the shed. If
you were in Ontario, I?d sell you the whole thing for
$400.00

Bruce-

Wish i was closer to you, that 47 sounds like a good baler.

Al Baker(pumpman)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 46 baler with #10 thrower and wagon questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have baled my share of square bales over the years. I still bale about 5 thousand each year. I have been using a baler with thrower for about 25 years now. I have seven steel thrower racks that are the 9x18 size. On the average we get 170 to 180 bales on a load. More if you stack a few. less if you just kick them in. they do have the flared tops and a light chain across the front above the fold down door.One thing to keep in mind if switching from baling on a flat rack to thrower wagens. It is getting hard to find twine strong enough to make a good tight bale and still live through the kicker. We had to change over to plastic twine this last year.The IH #10 is a good kicker but will burn the strings off if you dont pay attention. I like the solid belt type much better. I have bought most of my wagons in wisconsin used. This time of year you can find as many as you would want for 1000 or less. Al

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 46 baler with #10 thrower and wagon questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did NOT NEED any of that on ours.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters