Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

IH 46 baler with #10 thrower and wagon questions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce from Can.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 46 baler with #10 thrower and wagon questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dual tire on the knotter side of bakers of that vintage was a very common thing around here, especially with a thrower. Took a lot of the shock of dropping into a woodchuck hole or a dead furrow away. Have seen balers without duals with the knotter side wheel with a bent axle, and even snapped off.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 46 baler with #10 thrower and wagon questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In my area have never seen a baler with a dual. Dad got first baler in probably 54. But when cows left in 80 baler left next year.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: IH 46 baler with #10 thrower and wagon questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Bruce from Can. wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:49:53 12/22/17) Dual tire on the knotter side of bakers of that vintage was a very common thing around here, especially with a thrower. Took a lot of the shock of dropping into a woodchuck hole or a dead furrow away. Have seen balers without duals with the knotter side wheel with a bent axle, and even snapped off.

You see them now and then in New England, but I believe that it is more often due to moisture in the ground.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: IH 46 baler with #10 thrower and wagon questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Leroy wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:21:18 12/22/17) Did NOT NEED any of that on ours.

None of us NEEDED sliced bread or indoor plumbing either, LOL.

greg oliver
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: IH 46 baler with #10 thrower and wagon questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

oldfarmall wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:02:44 12/21/17)
After seeing some posts, sounds like I should be able to easily get over 100 bales on a wagon. By hand stacking I can easily get 180 bales going 6 high on a 9x16 cage wagon, so I figured around 125 per wagon as a guess for bales off a thrower.

-Jesse
I could get 120 bales on a wagon and was also a one man operation. I also had the ramp to drive upstairs into the loft and the old barn would creak and groan when I pulled in.

farmerwithmutt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 46 baler with #10 thrower and wagon questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ever think of a bale basket

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 46 baler with #10 thrower and wagon questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hay buyer had some for a while. Have not seen them doing any baleing for a few years now. From what I saw of those baskets I would let everything grow up in brush before I would ever have or use one of those stupid things.

farmerwithmutt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 46 baler with #10 thrower and wagon questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Friend had one on a 24t it had a hard time with the knots from the jar of the thrower never had a problem after the bale basket it all depends on the user . We filled 4 barns plus stacks ever year with an international there all right but can be fussy bale basket is simple and easy .The first thrower we had on the international had a gas motor i can still remember the bale going through the back end of the wagon .

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: IH 46 baler with #10 thrower and wagon questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The back end of the wagon must have been crap for that to happen. And sounds like that baler need knoter repair. With wagons can put bales inside when the rain is just starting instead of having loads dumped outside wating to be put on the elevator with the rain pouring down, You can try to cover with tarps but they will not keep bales dry. Then after you carry the last of the bales 50 feet to the elevator because you cannot dump any more closer you have the hay chaff on top of the gravel barnyard to clean up that you cannot get up without picking up the gravel and then that chaf has too many stones in to run thru a hammer mill to put in feed if being laying on that wet ground it has not molded to the point of being just manure for you to get rid of. The wagon can set in the barn or if has to be covered with a big enough tarp to keep the hay dry untill you can get the help to put it in the barn 3 weeks later just befor the next cutting. So on the farm they do not compute. For like the hay buyer that would just dump in field and had a daily crew to load out on trucks as it was being baled then yes they could work and any busted bales left and not rebaled. But when you don't have the daily help to put in barn right away and hafe to dump load after load getting farther from elevator with every load that walk along could be a killer carrying those bales to elevator. To do something like that would have had to let the elevator set in barn unusuable for anything else with doors open for all kinds of weather to get in and then barnyard filled with hay laying so you could not get around. And that carring from the far away dumpe is as hard as the hand stacking on wagon that we got rid of and got thrower for.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: IH 46 baler with #10 thrower and wagon questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Farmerwithmutt wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:52:06 12/23/17) Ever think of a bale basket

Bale baskets pretty much force you to have an extra person. With the elevator on the front of the wagon, all you need is one guy down to two up in the loft. With a bale wagon you need one on the ground for every one in the loft.

farmerwithmutt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: IH 46 baler with #10 thrower and wagon questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Interesting i always baled alone no help.
Kewanee elevator has a drag line simply back
up and dump

farmerwithmutt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: IH 46 baler with #10 thrower and wagon questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You seem to want to make it very complicated. The baler was good knotter was good as long as the basket was on
Wagon box was a chopper box rear unload the old style what happened was they didn't know how much power the motor on the thrower had so they opened the briggs at full throttle . When i baled i did it alone its easy but i never stood around figuring ways i couldn't do it.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 46 baler with #10 thrower and wagon questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Farmerwithmutt wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:50:23 12/24/17) Interesting i always baled alone no help.
Kewanee elevator has a drag line simply back
up and dump

OK, you had an elevator but what does that have to do with dumping something with a rope? and how did the bales get onto an elevator? and what happened when four bales had come off the elevator? or did you have the end up high and just let them fall into a pile?

farmerwithmutt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 46 baler with #10 thrower and wagon questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Back up to the dragline and swing bales as
the slide in . to many problems getting help
just dump bales in mow.When i did stack in
barn i simply backed alongside we once
filled a barn to the top that way.
This is why i quit posting you simply make a
little suggestion and all of a sudden a few
people decide that is wrong because they
can't figure out how to do it. I never had
extra help much less extra cash the solution
i usually came up was the simplest easy way
to do it a lot of my neighbors were like you
it was wrong because i did it but then when
they started doing it then it was ok

Bill VA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 46 baler with #10 thrower and wagon questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I?ve read anywhere from 130 to close to 200 depending on the length of the bale and how good the thrower operator can land the bales,

I don?t know anything about the #10 thrower, but did some searching on this forum and there are some posts regarding them.

Keep in mind that if you ever move to a newer IH baler, I?m to understand if they are if the all twine type, then you are into the New
Holland/John Deere style knotters.

Good luck,
Bill

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters