Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

New tractor hauler

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fred goodrich
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:33 am    Post subject: New tractor hauler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Should pull a trailer but do I really have to get out and lock the hubs in?

NYOlivers
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: New tractor hauler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep you do! And at the worst possible time "like when you really need 4x4". But lets keep using 1940's/50's technology. Oh ya it's a blue oval I forgot..

NYOlivers
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: New tractor hauler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wait: the best part of that system. Lets run a vacuum line to the hubs to engage them... Another great idea.

KCTractors
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: New tractor hauler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice truck, I drive a GMC, but there is nothing wrong with a Ford. I really like that 8Ft box.

Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: New tractor hauler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have Chevy, Dodge, Ford 4x4 trucks.
The vacuum operated CAD system in the Chevy and Dodge have both left me spinning my wheels when it failed to engage, I believe the new F-150 uses something similar today.
I've also seen the electric or vacuum controlled transfer case shift mechanisms fail.

When I lock the hubs in and pull the lever on that mechanically shifted transfer case I know it's in 4 wheel drive and don't have to wonder if the CAD joint engaged.

Waiting till your stuck to lock the hubs in is kinda like waiting till your soaking wet before putting on you rain coat, a little common since goes a long way.

I lock the hubs in on my Ford at the first sign of snowy weather and they stay locked in till spring.
During the summer when moving rolls of hay off the fields I lock the hubs while hooking up the trailer and unlock them when I unhook.
Only takes a moment to lock in the hubs before you pull off the road.

Like our old tractors, sometimes old technology isn't as convenient, but it's a lot more dependable.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: New tractor hauler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One time at a tractor pull the skies opened up and both the track and the parking area soon turned to soup. Before I turned a wheel I not only locked my hubs but got a JD G hooked onto the front.

VicS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New tractor hauler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No you don't. The hubs are automatic. But they can be locked. Two positions auto and lock. On ice they will unlock with no load. And you can't rock it when stuck. They will release then lock. Kinda hard on things. All in all. The best 4x4 out there. I've just had 4 new ones since 1975. Think current 2016 F250 4x4 crew cab will last me out.

DR. EVIL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New tractor hauler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

SON had an '06 F-150 that the frt driving axle would maybe work a quarter of the time. The vacuum engaging system was JUNK! Parts to correct it were almost $1000. He traded it three years ago for a brand new '14 Ram 2500 CTD. No vacuum operated BS on the Ram I think.

My '96 F-250 is manual locking hubs, manual shifting T-case and manual 5-speed trans. I had two F-150's with the same systems except 4-speeds. Put over half a million miles on them over 38 years and NEVER had one fail to engage 4wd when needed. Engage the hubs before I back out of the shop, engage T-case as I need 4wd. When I disengage hubs depends on where I'm going and how soon I may need 4wd again.

It's called the KISS principle, "Keep It Simple Stupid!"

RobCons
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: New tractor hauler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Years ago I drove 4wd trucks when I worked for the state. Manual hubs are the way to go.

Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: New tractor hauler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dodge Ram has had the vacuum controlled CAD (central axle disconnect) since the 80's.

Anthony
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: New tractor hauler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lots of mention of 4wd failing to engage. How about failure to DIS-engage?

My 2008 Chevy 3500 has mechanical transfer shift on the floor but it seems front wheels scuff a little when turning, even when in 2wd. Will have to check out. What should I do, make a marks on axle shafts and be sure they are not rotating?

Question: What current makes & models of new pickups are available factory order with manual lock hubs, manual transfer case, and/or both together?

Keith Molden
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: New tractor hauler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 2011 F250 I can manually unlock them but if I leave them locked, I just have to turn the switch on the dash to 4x4 high while under 60 mph or if it's really bad stop put it in neutral and turn the knob to 4x4 low. If I pull out on the shift knob it will lock the rear differential. I've never had a problem with it since it was new.

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: New tractor hauler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I watched a video some months ago that showed a really neat modification -- owner was having a problem with the vacuum not shifting into or out of 4wd, so they went a different route. They removed the vacuum setup completely and put in a made-for-this-purpose cable that runs up to the cab. When you want 4wd, it'll shift and you'll "know" it shifts. When you want out, you "know" it's out. You can engage/disengage while moving or sitting still. It's a positive on/positive off system.

Our 2004 Chevy with the push-button stuff has been working great for us so far. It's from the deep south, so never saw any road salt of corrosion. As soon as we have problems with the vacuum transfer, I'll be switching to this other system. ...How's the old saying go, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Well, it ain't broke so far, so.....

Ah, found the video again. Look here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmAq7v93mjE

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: New tractor hauler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mine are manual hubs and the only time I unlock them is if I'm going on a long riad trip. I use 4x4 regularly going in and out of fields and sich so they stay locked 90% of the time.

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: New tractor hauler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The real question is can you find a parking spot that it will fit in.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters